Advice on Turn Signal Cam Cancel replacement 02 Chevy Malibu

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by babiker712, Mar 17, 2017.

1. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

Hey folks,

The GF had an issue on her 02 Chevy Malibu with the multifunction switch. In sorting that out, it was identified that the turn signal cancel cam (brass ring on the back of the wheel on the column) was trashed and engaging the horn improperly. Temporarily, I've pulled the horn fuse so it doesn't keep engaging. In order to replace it, I'm going to have to pull the steering wheel and strip the column to access this part, which is just behind the clockspring. Thankfully, it being an older car there are plenty of salvage vehicles to practice on and try to find a replacement part.

Other than disable the SIR (airbags) by pulling the ground and waiting, any advice on this process? I have never pulled a steering wheel but done plenty of other minor fixes. Will the O'Reilly Auto Parts loaners be sufficient to get the wheel off, and will any additional tools be needed to remove the lock ring?

2. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

Feel free to close this thread, got the fix in this weekend and it was easier than expected. The O'Reilly's rental was complete, and for GM vehicles you need to use the J-Arm puller attachments. Thank god for parts yards to practice in!