Affordable Head Gasket Replacement

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by hell2950, Dec 14, 2015.

1. hell2950

hell2950 New Member

This is my first post here and I'm excited to join the community! I read the stickies and everything but please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Car:
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited w/ 2.5L H4 MPI
    Modifications:None (As far as I know)
    Problem Description: This is actually my first Subaru and I purchased it through Craigslist 2 days ago. The guy I bought it from had bought it at auction at Morries and so there was very little history on it. I took my mechanic friend with me and neither of us found any concerning issues.

I drove it home with seemingly no problems but the next day when I was driving it down the highway I noticed that the heat wouldn't work. A few minutes after that I saw the temperature gauge go all the way up so I pulled over. When I opened the hood I could smell coolant and the coolant bottle was full all the way to the top and looked a little bit milky like there was some oil mixed in.

I waited for the engine to cool down and then took back roads all the way home. The whole way home the car seemed fine. The heat worked again and the temp stayed normal. In researching the problem when I got home I am fairly certain that these symptoms mean I have a bad head gasket. Is this true?

If this is the case I am wondering where the best place to get this fixed is. I don't have a lot of money and the purchase of the car hit my bank account pretty hard haha. I know that generally the engine gets pulled to do this repair and that normally it is good to replace a few other things while the engine is out, like the timing belt. What other things is it normally recommended to replace when doing this repair and what would I expect to spend?

One place I contacted for the repair was Sorenson Automotive. It looks like they charge $2599 for full replacement of the head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump. Is this a good price?

Thanks for your help!!

2. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

Did the seller make you aware of any current or potential issues? Buying a new (used) car and having overheating issues right away sounds like a sad love story. How many miles on car? And previous work done? Anything major? Pushing coolant out overflow is definitely a symptom of a bad HG. And yes, it is a serious project requiring pulling motor and rebuilding. Timing goes along with it since the motor is out and heads are off. That can get pretty spendy.

3. hell2950

hell2950 New Member

The guy I bought it from said he didn't know about the issue and ended up giving me the profit he made on the sale which was about $600. I signed an "as is" contract on the car so legally I don't think he really had to give me anything. The car has 145,000 miles on it and as far as I can tell from the Carfax report there have been no major issues besides it being rear ended in the year 2000.

4. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

How many miles?
    That sounds about right for shop prices.

5. hell2950

hell2950 New Member

145,000 miles on the car

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Welcome. First, thank you for writing a clear and coherent first post. It's refreshing.

The head gasket job isn't terribly cheap, nor is a timing belt. That sounds only a little high to me, but I can't tell you for certain. If you're on the east side I can refer you to a small independent in-home shop in Mahtomedi that I have used in the past. He does a lot of Subarus, has done a number of had gaskets, did my timing belt, and is fairly priced. PM me if you'd like his info.

7. EricS

EricS Nooberator

8. Winfred

Winfred New Member

Hi Sneefy!
    I'm new here and can't PM you as you have some kind of a block. I also need a mechanic for my 1997 Subaru (285,000 miles) and will ask how much for timing belt (I didn't know but now 36,000 miles past due and had it last done 12 yrs ago, maybe rear sway bar links, 3 evap codes: P0443 purge control valve circuit, P0451 evap pressure sensor switch, P0440 in the evap system but not sure where that code means, CV boots cracked but axles are good. Is it where my head gasket leaks only a little that it could blow at any time? How long can I go with it leaking a little? I only saw the white exhaust once last fall and maybe one other time and after about 9 months coolant low about 2 cups, no oil in my coolant and engine oil looks good, no coolant mixing. Rear brake lines are too rusty and from rubber diaphragm in floor to both brakes 2 and 6ft lengths need to be spliced in. I'm in South St. Paul I think not far from "East Side", right? Maybe you know prices or anyone else here (about). Thanks! Winfred

9. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Winfred, check out the post above yours or click the link here...
    http://www.jmautomn.com/

-Josh