Alignment-steering wheel not straight

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by PaulasaurusREX, Jul 13, 2006.

1. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

Well I installed my prodrive springs a week or so ago and a couple days ago I had an alignment done by tires plus in Maple Grove. Drove it home and it seemed fine other than when I looked down while going straight the steering wheel was a bit to the left, no pulling though just a little off.

Yesturday I went back and told them about this and the guy brought me back and even had me straighten the wheel out and the puter said everything was fine and that there is no way to get the wheel straight without throwing off the alignment.

Is this true or is there someway to fix this. It's not a huge deal being as its not off by much but I'd just like to know if this guy is right or if he has no idea what he's talking about.

Was just thinking, could I take the steering wheel off and adjust it by a couple mm? How hard would that be with a momo steering wheel?

Thanks all

2. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

Go back and tell the guy to perform the alignment CORRECTLY and have someone hold the steering straight while they adjust the toe.

What they did was adjust toe while the wheel wasn't straight. So, while the toe is correct now, it is in relation to the current "straight ahead" positioning and not where it should be.

Let me know if that makes sense.

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Thats BS! I have always proactively requested the steering wheel to be straight, but I always have it done at tires plus in EP. They always tell me they would have it no other way.....It must be straight.....take it back and have them redo it!

4. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Their BSing you. they just don't want to do any extra work.
    if they'd done it right the first time, the steering wheel would be straight.

Not supprising coming out of a tires plus though...

5. PaulasaurusREX

Great. Not looking forward to going back there and dealing with them idiots. Guess you get what ya pay for. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Maybe i'll call over to the EP tires plus and ask them a few questions regarding this and see what they can tell me.

I may have to see if I can't get someone else at the shop to look at it aside from the same guy who looked at it twice now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

6. Scuba Steve

Okay, I just helped you out....

I called the MG store and asked for an alignment. i also asked if they would make sure the steering wheel would be straight. they said yes, of course. I spoke to a Matt guy

7. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

your straight and their straight is soemtimes a little different.... but reality is the customer is right!!! if they arent happy fix it.. especially if the wheel should have been straight...

just cause you straighten the wheel and it shows up ok, doesnt mean it is right!?!?! al it means is it is within allowable tolerences and the computer says its green...

Hound them for not doing it right... you paid for it... get what you paid for.. My shop we do our best to make sure you do!!

8. PaulasaurusREX

Thanks I appreciate it. Tony was the guy at night who was doing my alignment. Guess i'll have to bring it in today and speak with Matt.

Thanks

9. PaulasaurusREX

verdict is in

They say the wheel is off and there is nothing they can do unless they start grinding on the strut tower. Matt said I need a caster kit to have the wheel be straight and for that of course there needs to be drilling.

Sucks not being able to prove to them that this is B.S. if in fact it is. I had no idea that just replacing springs could cause the wheel to be off. Oh well, i'd take the look and feel of the prodrive springs over a straight steering wheel anyday.

Thanks for the help all

10. ScoobyTodd

ScoobyTodd New Member

BS...Caster kit? The way I understand it, the toe is adjusted in the front by tie-rods. Both sides have MANY threads for adjustment. My point is that the wheel would need to be held straight and then toe is adjusted.

11. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

They are continuing to lie to you.
    This is complete bull****.
    Lowering your car a hair with springs will not require that much toe adjustment to merrit some aftermarket kit.

Go and talk to the Manager. tell him that if they fail to fix it, and another place can, he will be sent the bill because aparently they are that incompotent.

12. Scuba Steve

?????????
    I have never heard of Prodrive springs causing any issues with your caster. Camber yes, caster no. Did you put your top hat back in correctly when you installed the springs? maybe that would cause caster to be off a tiny tiny bit.

However, I'm still a bit confused how caster would effect the left/right positioning of the steering wheel, especailly if you only have lowering springs. Maybe if you had a major suspension change like coil overs with caster and camber adjustments or a ALK kit.

I think they are BSing you and you should have someone else look at it.

13. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

Should've went to meinike....

14. PaulasaurusREX

Yup prodrive springs are the only suspension mod i've done. The top hat was put back in correctly being as the right one was the only one I was unsure about and after comparing the two my friend and I got them both in correctly so that should not be an issue.

I was thinking about having another shop look at it then send them the bill if they are able to fix it. I'm not positive but I believe that Matt is the manager at that location, i'll have to call in to find out.

Thanks for the info, I think i'll have to go in there with what you guys have told me and mention it and see what they can say about that. I did get to see the read out and everything looked good and straight so at least my tires will wear fine until I can get this straightened out.

15. jubella2

jubella2 GC8 FTW

When i had my axel replaced and they redid the alignment my steering wheel was at a 90* angle. i just took it to a close friend of mine's import shop and he took the wheel off and reput it on straight.

16. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

This is a good thread to read as I have been looking into getting coilovers myself.

Don't go to Tires Plus in Maple Grove. Got it!

And just for clarification: Camber is the vertical tilt and Caster is the horzontal?

17. Scuba Steve

here you go...and yes, it sounds like you should "steer" clear of maple grove tire plus...

18. 06WRXss

06WRXss New Member

Thanks, What's that familycar.com about?