Almost $14k for a Legacy 2.5GT w/ almost 100K miles?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TouchDown, Aug 1, 2013.

1. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

Hi guys!

I'm new and already posted on the newbie thread to introduce myself. I'm looking to buy my first Subie and came across an ad for a dealer who is selling an '08 Legacy 2.5GT LTD with the fancy flappy paddle auto. I know with proper care a Subie will last pretty much forever but almost 100k miles on a car that's only 5 years old is kind of a red flag for me. Not to mention asking almost $14k for it... Am I wrong? Is this actually an okay deal or should I forget about this one? I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. It'd be nice to have the AWD considering our winters/absolutely having to get to class and a little bit of luxury would definitely be welcome considering how spartan my Miata is.

Also, a question to all of you '04-'09 Legacy 2.5GT owners out there, what has your experience been with reliability/maintenance costs? Considering this particular Legacy I'm looking at is just about at the 100k mark I've looked into the 100k maintenance cost and it seems people have been quoted anywhere between $750-$1200! I'm not really that handy when it comes to cars. Admitting it is a kick in the nuts to the ol' ego but it's better to be honest. I've also been looking at a few WRXs but I'm A. not sure if I want to drive a stick in MPLS traffic anymore and B. haven't found any that are relatively stock/haven't been abused.

Thank you all so much for your input and I'm looking forward to your expert advice!

2. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

14k is about right, but they can be found for cheaper. Check out LGT.com for more legacy GT owners, and lots of info. I hear an issue with the banjo filter on the turbos for the 04-09's other than that, I'm not sure. Also if by 100k service you mean the Tbelt, I would say those numbers are correct for cost, and I would not recommend doing it on your own.

3. Legacy25GT

Legacy25GT Active Member

Welcome to the forum. I have a 2009 LGT with the 5EAT automatic and so far it has been a great car and I love it. However, mine only has 22,000 miles and it is stock, so I can't speak to the long term reliability specifically. With that kind of mileage, it will need a timing belt around 100,000, which is probably driving the cost of the service. You might want to check if it has been done or maybe you can use the fact that it needs the 100k service as a negotation tactic to get some off the car or a deal on having the dealer perform it. These cars are pretty rare and don't come on the market often, especially ones that are in really nice shape. I looked for several months before I bought mine and ended up buying out of state to get what I wanted. You're probably at the mercy of limited availability when it comes to the price. Check the maintenance records on the car very closely before buying. Make sure it has had regular and frequent oil changes. Look for signs that the car may have been previously modified. Make sure the turbo sounds good in boost no whirring, whining, whistling, etc. If the car has been maintained, is in good shape, and doesn't have any mechanical flaws, the higher mileage wouldn't scare me too much. Hopefully they're mostly highway miles. You might want to consider having someone that's really knowledable about these cars do a pre-purchase inspection for some peace of mind.

4. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I know of an Outback turbo that is really clean, well taken care of and nicely modded already. Its in the classifieds.

Did I also mention that it's a 5 speed. They are really hard to find. Only 10 that is being listed for sale on car soup and cars.com. And none of them are that clean.

5. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

14k is about right. You may find some lower but its not too high of an price.
    It will need the 100k maintenance done.
    They are great cars
    120k on mine and runs and drives like new still

6. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

That is correct on the 100K if you take it to a dealership... However there are some vendors on this forum that could help keep your wallet fat. :)

7. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

Thanks for all of the input, guys! Especially you, Legacy25GT. I will definitely ask if they'd be willing to include the cost of the 100k service or lower the price. This will be my first time dealing with a dealership. I've always gone the private seller route before. Do dealerships allow 3rd party inspections? Also, I've been wondering something. I know that dealerships often have graduate/student discounts on new cars but does anyone think that a dealership would give a discount on a used car? I know there's no way to know for sure unless I ask them though.

8. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Ask them. Also take your time. There are good cars out there, but sometimes it takes some time (and distance) to find them. Open up your searches to areas that don't rust out cars like MN. You might find something a bit cleaner then you would up here.

9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have a service history to see what the oil change intervals were. I think by '08 Subaru dropped it back down to 3750 miles on the turbo engines.

My '05 (auto) has 53,000 miles and I have had no real issues.

10. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

Its a gamble... 125,000: blown turbo, and motor refresh... 5-7k With or without a fat wallet

Ctracey218 likes this.
  11. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

^ wow, that sounds absolutely horrible and might be too pricy a fix for me at the moment...

12. Legacy25GT

Legacy25GT Active Member

No problem. I would think most dealerships would allow you to have the car inspected, although I'm sure it varies. I rolled the dice on my LGT because my dad is a mechanic and looked it over. I also bought it out of state and didn't have a place lined up to take it. I don't think there would be a graduate/student discount on a used car, especially one such as this.

I definitely agree with this especially if you are sure what you want. I bought mine across the country because it was the cleanest one available at the time and had the most warranty remaining. I would recommend only doing this if you are willing to gamble the travel expenses in case the car is not what you expected when you arrive. A turbo Subaru is going to cost more to own than a naturally aspirated Subaru, plain and simple. They need premium fuel and the potential repair costs are much higher not to mention insurance etc. I'm not trying to scare you off the car, but it is a gamble and you should be aware of the potential costs in case things go awry.

13. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

14. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

I also noticed that the Carfax shows that the turbo was repaired or replaced at around 25,300 miles. I'm not sure if that should be a concern or not.

15. derp

derp Well-Known Member

I just bought it.

Kidding.

When I see the ad, I try to pay attention to little things. In the engine bay picture, it looks like the intercooler doesn't have too many bent fins, the brake fluid reservoir doesn't look like it has nasty black fluid, stuff like that. The turbo replacement was likely done under warranty, the factory IHI turbos aren't known for their stellar reliability. Some go quickly, some last. All in all it looks like the car has been well taken care of. It never hurts to ask if they'll cover the 100k service. Also I second the thought of having it looked at by someone you trust.

As far as overall reliability, it's the same as any other car. Keep current on your maintenance, and you'll be just fine. I bought my 05 LGT wagon with 93k on it in January of 2012, it now has 118k on it and I haven't had a single maintenance related issue. The timing belt was done, spark plugs done, etc. Just keep up with it and the car will treat you well.

16. Legacy25GT

Legacy25GT Active Member

Looks nice. Has had three previous owners which seems like a lot. The only thing I noticed from the photos is that the engine cover is not sitting correctly and is missing the fasteners. Very random thing to notice I know. The turbo being replaced early under warranty is not completely surprising or necessarily a concern, as long it has been well maintained since then. Looks like they were running about 5k miles between services, which I'm assuming means the oil was changed. That's kind of a stretch with conventional oil, could have been a factor. Like derp said, some IHI turbos fail early and some last a long time.

17. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

Thank you Derp and Legacy25GT for checking out the car in such detail. You guys have good eyes. I never would have notice some of the stuff you guys mentioned. I knew it looked pretty dang clean but I'm glad you guys know what to look for. I will definitely have someone with me when I check it out.

18. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

timing belt coming up at 105k.

Alot of miles for the price. I would pass and your patience will pay off.

I bought an 05 lgt with 48k miles and now it is 62k. No issues at all.

19. john

john Well-Known Member

IMNSHO that price is too high. I recently sold my very nicely modded '05 with 82k miles for $13k.

turkeylord, Jim C and Tash like this.
  20. TouchDown

TouchDown New Member

Well, seems like this particular Legacy was sold. Thank you everyone for all your great advice. The hunt for my first Subie continues!

21. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

Don't feel rushed into a decision by the "perfect car". I looked, researched and debated for almost a year until I pulled the trigger - which just happened to be about two weeks ago. For me, I never understood it as a teenager, but as I've gotten older and exponentially more wise :cool: I realize what my old man talked about all along - and that is to just wait until you find the perfect one, whatever that is for you.

22. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

If you're looking for an auto sedan, you can afford to be a little picky and patient IMO. The right one will come along at a better price for sure.

23. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Talk to Putnam at Morries and have him find you the car you want.

24. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Especially true with spouses. It's easy and a lot less expensive to get rid of the "wrong" car however.

Jim C likes this.
  25. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Its an 08, yes its even worth that much with 100K miles. I'd much rather have a higher mileage newer car than a low mileage older. Its not hard to understand. A 2008 with 100K miles is worth more than a 2005 with 80K miles, plus the interior is a nicer in the 07+.

Jerf likes this.
  26. MattG42C

MattG42C Well-Known Member

I'm a little late to this thread, but my '08 Spec.B has 91K miles and [knock-on-wood] has had no serious issues. Did the clutch at ~83K which was the most expensive service to-date.