Alternator rebuild

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by thomas franz, Oct 17, 2020.

1. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

im replacing the voltage regulator in a 1995 impreza oem alternator and have found the weirdest thing. When searching by part number from the alternator the voltage regulator that typically is shown is this 3 contact one. The one inside the alternator doesnt have the middle contact. Does anyone know why this is? And what the middle contact is even for? The 3 contact one is made in japan and is mitubishi stamped even. Im wondering if i can just use the 3 contact one anyway. But im unsure of what to do about that middle contact since there isnt really an obvious spot it solders to. I found a manufacturer that sells one identical to the one inside the alternator for a fraction of the cost. 8 dollars verses 150+. Maybe someone has some insight into this? Thanks!

2. thomas franz

3. thomas franz

Resized_20201017_143032.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Aren't alternators cheap?

5. thomas franz

Relatively but i was trying not to rabbit hole with several bad new ones. The car came with a brand new bad one and every forum i searched when troubleshooting seemed to involve numerous bad ones from part stores.

Butthau5 likes this.