And the motor going in the new Subaru Ascent 7 seater is....

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TMF, Apr 12, 2017.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Really? A turbo 2.4? Will they ever put a turbo on the 3.6? Im just sitting here waiting :coffee:

Deathly likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::censored:

Cotts612, pleiades and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  4. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Yeah that was the rumor I quoted in the other thread. The new 2.4L Turbo is supposed to be the new motor in the next STI. I imagine its based on the FA20 but bigger.

Mnelson and TMF like this.
  5. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

As we speak they are developing the CVT for the first ever automatic STI. :facepalm:

Deathly likes this.
  6. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful for 2 reasons:

1. A direct injected 2.4L turbo could put out some decent power. If they can wring 250-268 HP out of the FA2.0, hopefully they can get at least 300 out of the 2.4L.
    2. The 2.4L could be a version of what we might see in the next STI.

I will lose all hope if: they put a CVT in it.

However, the 3.6 Outback with the CVT is rated at 3,000 lbs, which is enough for some decent sized boats. Not that I would want to tow with a CVT though...

idget likes this.
  7. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

CVT's are garbage. Enough said. It will be nice to have a new engine in the STi though.

8. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Anyone here ragging on the CVT actually drive a new Subaru with one?

phi11 likes this.
  9. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I'm sure they are fine for the vast majority of the motoring public (probably me included), but...a transmission is supposed to have proper "gears" (both the steps of different gear ratios and the metal thingies with teeth). Pulleys that change size and a belt, even if it is metal, just isn't...right. A CVT seems better suited for an autonomous vehicle. I know, old guy, head-in-the-sand thinking, but I am old.

The Ford CVT I drove a few years ago was so off-putting that I may be scarred for life. This "feature" is probably number one on my list of items that drive me to purchase or avoid a particular vehicle. Nissan has been off my list of possible new car choices for awhile, and I'm afraid to say that Subaru seems to have followed suit. Manual transmission choices are getting more and more rare with each passing year and what choices there are, really limit you on the vehicles available to you.

10. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

I'm not ragging on it, and I don't even mind it in my 15 XT. It does what it's supposed to do. Given that I drive a lot in traffic, I prefer it over the manual in my last WRX. Roast me if you like, but it's very convenient for me.

TMF and pleiades like this.
  11. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Our '15 Legacy has a CVT too, and for a low-powered family/commuter car I think it's a decent transmission that performs its duties well. It might not be as well-suited in an SUV or a performance car, but only time will tell.

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Also as a cvt owner, I agree, it's not a bad transmission. But if it didn't have s# with fast shifting of pre-defined gears, I probably wouldn't like it as much.

From a towing standpoint though, they (in general) just can't hold the power.

13. STi_From_DSM

I have driven a 2012 Legacy many times that has a CVT. There is nothing wrong with a CVT in general, except for when there are transmission issues. Now granted all transmission issues are usually costly, the price of a CVT versus a regular auto trans is higher.

14. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Brand new Impreza sport with a CVT. Slowest gear changes I've ever sdriven, but it does perfectly fine for the 90% of Americans buying one.

15. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

But it doesn't even change gears.

MinnesotaFTW and pleiades like this.
  16. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Shhhh I totally knew that at the time.

pleiades likes this.
  17. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It really isn't. The brand-new and reman ones are the same price from Subaru, and most (there are a couple one year units that can be hard to track down) CVTs are pretty reasonable from junkyards (comparable to similar age/mileage conventional autos).

I really like my mom's 12 Impreza CVT. For most drivers, it's perfect, and for me, the paddle shifters (it's a premium) allow it to function more like a conventional auto for a little extra control.

I do agree with the original :facepalm: sentiment at the idea of a CVT STi.

I'm also a little weary of the idea of one in a 7-seat SUV. Although the 2.4l 4-cyl doesn't really lead me to believe it will be capable of much towing anyway....which is a shame.

18. STi_From_DSM

Technology has definitely improved upon CVT's, but if the only available engine is a 2.4L ? A big SUV with 7 seats better have a TT 4-cyl or it is going to be an absolute dog out of the hole. I have finally talked my wife into getting rid of her Ford Edge, and into a Subie. This might be the one! But she is only interested in this one, or a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I should point out I have a grudge with CVT's from my 1.8t Audi that had nothing but issues. If people are looking at getting a CVT, they aren't bad, I just prefer manuals, and a CVT feels different. It can be off putting to people if they are new to a CVT.

19. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

A couple years ago we fixed a Forester with CVT at the body shop. I told the boss I had to test drive it simply out of curiosity. It felt terrible to me, almost like riding a snowmobile (just basing it off the fact that neither have gears).

I'm sure it's fine for some people but I just enjoy the driving "experience" too much to not want to manually change gears. That and I feel that CVT in general is just another step in the wrong direction as far as keeping people engaged in the fact that they're still operating a motor vehicle. Driving a stick doesn't allow you to become quite so detached and inattentive, in my opinion. (Not to mention all of the other safety sh1t they're adding now - eyesight and auto parking, etc)

20. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I drove the WRX with CVT and actually had fun. Keep trying to convince the wife to get one. If I worked downtown and had a garbage commute wouldn't think twice.