another geadgasket victim...with a tip

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by pcwerk, Jan 17, 2018.

1. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

hello, my worst fears have come true and my mechanic said it wasn't a radiator after all but my HG went out AGAIN on my DWs 1999 outback! it went out about 4 years ago and a different mechanic fixed it for about
    $2,000. I really hate to not fix it after all the money that has spent over the years. my other vehicle is a 1999 GMC truck that I have to nurse along to keep it working.
    so, we have decided to get my DW a new car and after talking to my new mechanic, who truly appears to know
    his stuff, I'm debating on forking out the money. he said he has very low failure rate on his HG jobs as he does a
    couple of things different. he always machines the heads, even though Subaru doesn't say you have to and he always uses gaskets for turbos. anyway, I've decided if I get this wagon going again it will probably last a good 5
    years with as little as I drive it and am seriously thinking of taking the plunge. thought or concerns would be appreciated. (btw it has about 227,000 miles on it and brand new tires as well)
    jim in rochester

2. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what DW is, but headgaskets don't last forever, they're known to be issues on the 2.5's, and there's rarely a reason to half ass it. The value proposition is entirely up to you, seeing as you already own the car, but it won't increase in value over time and you could likely get something newer with less miles for not a lot of money.

pcwerk likes this.
  3. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Dear Wife ;) That's the other thing, if you search for a car for $2,000 or less
    you can't find anything that I think will be as reliable...decisions, decisions!

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Just do the HG’s! I’d maybe call JM Automotive and ask Jesse to give you a quote for the HG’s. Doesn’t hurt to have more than one quote!

pcwerk likes this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

When I had head gaskets done on our naturally aspirated '02 Outback, the Subaru dealership used turbo motor gaskets. I'm inclined to believe this is the way to go.

6. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

One of the best options for HG issues on the N/A EJ25 is to run turbo gaskets from the WRX or STI. The head machining is up to you, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Additionally, it'll give you more compression for extra power!
    I'm also in Rochester if you want in-person advice. I'm always willing to look at other Subarus.

pcwerk likes this.
  7. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

You can drive it over to his place, it's the one with the broken black Neon.

pcwerk and tangledupinblu like this.
  8. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

i appreciate all the advice! a lot of things are in play, and i'm still debating...although
    it really helps to have a mechanic that will let you pay in installments ;)

9. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

How reliable is the current car otherwise? Trans, ball joints, wheel bearings, struts, axles, sensors all good?

pcwerk likes this.
  10. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

The DOHC EJ25 requires a thicker head gasket than the SOHC EJ25. The EJ257 gasket (11044aa642) fits the SOHC engines, but AFAIK you have to swap pistons to use the thinner gasket on a DOHC engine

jmyhre05 likes this.
  11. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

the car is very reliable. some "check engine" light seems to always be on but its a good car.
    getting a little rusty and has a few dents but strong runner.

12. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

not sure, but he says he uses turbo gasket on every job. the guy is very good but takes a week
    on nearly every issue you bring to him...which is why we took it to the place that gets you out
    in two days in the first place :(

13. blueroo

blueroo Member

The WRX/STI gaskets are the fix for the NA gasket problems. That was the fix from Subaru years ago. Nasioc has had lots of notes on it. You only need machining if the heads are out of spec, but it wont hurt.

14. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

^what he said

But yeah, when doing head gaskets decking the heads will depend on the head surface. A good inspection and a straight edge will tell you. It's good to deck them anyways and always measure the block too just to make sure.

As idget said, putting the money into it depends on condition of the vehicle. Is it worth 2k worth of work is different then say 3k or 4k if it needs other things. Typically buying a 2-5k Subaru means it's going to need head gaskets unless they have paper work on it. Maybe not right away but in the future at some point.

pcwerk likes this.
  15. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

after looking around for a replacement vehicle in the <$4000 range, i have decided to
    keep my wife's car and get it fixed. (we got her a nice 2008 Outback).i know what all has
    been done (a lot!) and i hate to start over with an unknown vehicle. i will mothball my 4x4
    truck and keep it around just in case ;) thanks again for all the advice!