Another issue.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Stormtrooper1, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

Remote started my outback this morning (factory start, there before I got the car)

The car ran its cycle (15 minutes I think) and had just notified me it shut off before we went out the door

When I went out to the car it felt colder than it should have been and my windshield was not fully defrosted.

Turned the key and it did not do anything. The lights were on and such but there was no response from the key (didn’t click or anything)

Tried the key again and no response.

Took the key out and put it back in and it started with a check engine light (and eyesight off and Xmode off) but it drove fine and w had someplace to be so off we went.

Checked the code with my generic code scanner and got Po700

I didn’t clear it (I don’t know if mine will clear that one) but I guess I’m taking it in this week.

The wife has just informed me she will for sure not be agreeing to another Subaru.
    (I think she’s afraid I’ll trade it to solve the problem)

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Parked outside I'm assuming, based on the windshield defrosting comment. It was like 15 below this morning. Cold does weird things to vehicles. Maybe clear the code and monitor it for a couple days?

3. Stormtrooper1

Outside yes

I’m wondering if it’s from the remote start? (Like it failed the start cycle or something and didn’t really run)

It was outside during the polar vortex craziness. Started like a champ. (Though apparently it was too cold for eyesight to work...)

I’ll see if I can clear it and keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I gotta believe you could tell if the car ran for 15 minutes or did not once you got into it.

Googling, it looks like P0700 is a transmission fault code.

5. Stormtrooper1

Oh yeah I was pretty sure it didn’t run for the correct amount of time.

I saw transmission fault when I looked as well. I also saw some other related that I’m gonna hope was just maybe a failed start and clearing it will solve it.

I have the extended warranty to 100,000 so I guess it’s not that big of a deal no matter what it is.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

If I had that luxury I'd probably just take advantage of it as well, haha. I'm more of the "cross my fingers and hope it goes away on its own" mindset with my car(s).

7. Stormtrooper1

The cross your fingers works too.
    It just really makes the wife angry the newest and most expensive vehicle has trouble. She does not like writing that check for the car payment every month when it’s the one with issues.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Will seeing certain fault codes prevent the remote start from completing when it is an OEM unit?

9. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Don't think it would have anything to do with the batteries, but I know that my uncle had 2 Outbacks and they both had to get them changed out (almost new). 300 CCA batteries hate the winter.

10. Stormtrooper1

Im not sure. Though it makes sense that a transmission fault would cause it to not work correctly. (since the key didnt operate it correctly at first either)

Thosree 300 CCA batteries are the WORST. I replaced mine about a year ago (after subaru said it was perfect) when i had issues that i would drive the car for about 30 minutes and then park it and when i came out to start it again in acted like the battery was very weak. I actually put in a Group 34 battery instead (same one for a Chrysler Pacifica) its almost identical in size (maybe slightly taller) and its 795 CCA. I've never had a starting issue since.

I made an Apt at Morries for next tuesday. They said its ok to drive as long as the check engine isnt flashing. I guess i'll leave the code for them at this point. so far its starting and driving just fine. (minus the eyesight and xmode of course)

11. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Nearly any code will stop remote start from working (or will start and immediately shutoff). Even the most trivial things.

Odds are that the low temps caused some voltage to be just out of spec after the remote start load on the batter, a sensor threw a code and the whole thing shut down to avoid any damage (because it can't judge if it's really bad, just that it was out of range).

This is what happens when they design the cars to try and be smarter than us (and frankly, for most drivers, they probably are...)

12. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Amen. All the additional systems on modern cars drain the batteries like crazy and Subaru is as guilty as anyone of putting in the lowest-rated battery they think they can get away with. I don't know about the Subarus, but a lot of cars try to increase fuel mileage by not charging the battery unless the engine load is low (like cruising on the highway) or if the battery gets below a certain threshold 9which makes it weaker for next startup, especially so if cold). I'm certain we'll be putting a new batter in our '19 Forester before next winter.

13. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Interstate one that I put in mine was taller, had to take out that plastic spacer that was under mine. Still gotta return the old one and get the core charge for mine.

14. Stormtrooper1

With the amount of electronics in modern cars, the tiny battery is such a step back.

Gotta get that core charge. Sears didnt want to give me mine back but i complained about fact that the auto center i purchased it from had closed, and they made another store refund me. and now all of the sears autos are gone....

A New development on my issue is I have an appointment at Morries Minnetonka on the 12th ( earliest they could get me in) and of course the light went off the afternoon after i made the appointment.
    I think the car is fine. I'm hoping what my brain thought felt weird the other day was just over analyzing the way it drives in the cold.

15. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

CEL's are like herpes, they'll always come back.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Either way you have an STI?

17. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

:frantic:

18. Stormtrooper1

Update:
    After a long service visit, they’ve concluded that there was possibly frost in my transmission relays.
    And that the warmer temps have allowed it to thaw and that’s why the code cleared.

My relays are apperently dry and not damaged. So clearly, clear the code and see if it comes back would have been an acceptable option for sure.

19. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Not sure about other places but advance auto has a battery bounty where used battery's gets you $10-20 in store credit. Might be a good alternative if you have some sitting around or the core charge was originally less than that.

20. Stormtrooper1

Nice! Now I can at least get something for that crap battery sitting in my garage!

21. Mnelson

Price and quantity is at the store managers digression so you might wanna call ahead. If you are south of the river, the manager at Lakeville north is a cool dude who knows I send him business all the time. Name drop if you need to.

22. tangledupinblu

Thanks for the heads up Mike! I have a couple sitting around....going to look into it

23. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

24. tangledupinblu

He’s kind of a “one trick pony”. But it’s about efficiency really.

pillboy and Aegis like this.
  25. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I never heard your mom complaining about my one trick. Just saying.

;)

26. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

That's a whole different kind of burning...

27. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

The core charge at Interstate, you have to buy a battery there, and they'll give you a core charge when you show your receipt.

28. tangledupinblu

But still involves a 5 gallon gas can.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  29. Mnelson

If you put it in the back, It's going to stink for a few months.

Source: personal experience

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  30. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Your poor sister.

pillboy, Aegis and Krazylegz1485 like this.