anyone at firestone?

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Chux, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Dynapar and I will be assembling his new suspension Fri afternoon and were thinking of coming out after if that goes well. Anyway, will there be anyone there? It sounds like you guys go pretty much every week but we thought we'd post first.

2. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

I'll probably be there with a friend. hopefully it is not raining like it was last weekend.

3. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Sure, it will be the last day I drive my car for a while

4. morganm

morganm New Member

I would but I'm leaving to go up north and go camping all weekend on Friday morning :(

Good luck with the suspension work; you got a big braker bar right?! gooooood.... ;)

5. cowboybebop

cowboybebop New Member

I'll be there hopefully the reserve cops don't kick us out at 10:30 like they did 2 weeks ago.

6. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by cowboybebop

I'll be there hopefully the reserve cops don't kick us out at 10:30 like they did 2 weeks ago.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

They looked like retired janitors posing as cops. I don't think they even carried pepperspray.

7. cowboybebop

cowboybebop New Member

yeah but he had a real mean look to him and he was goin to ticket us all. lol :p

8. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

there were ummm some minor difficulties on the installation process[xx(] just ask chux. we started at maybe 5:10. the fronts when in easy. only hard thing was disconnecting the brake lines to get the struts out, aong with another wierd clip deally. basically easy. alright so the fronts look good now to the backs. first off take of the tire, and mess witht he brakes. then look for the top bracket fro the strut. cant see it from the trunk sp it must be under the trim. look it up in trusty chiltons. "Remove seat assembly" great. gota take out the whole back seat and trim. next remove the 12 mm nuts on top. all good. then time to remove the bolts that secure the strut to the rotor. put the impact wrench on it and it didnt budge. we ran the o2 compressor out of air like 3 times. then came the liquid wrench. hosed that on there. got the 19mm box end wrench on it and a hammer. didnt move one bit. however alot of dried mud did fall from the bottom of my car. no more ideas, its about 9 o clock now. we gave up. bleed the brakes and put the back seat assembly back in. yar.... to be continued.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

well, not much else to say, but I'm still mad, That's so frustrating, maybe we shook it loose some, HA. we'll try again some other time, but the front ones worked well, we're pretty proud of that. should make for some interesting handling in the meantime :p

10. Dynapar

yeah it will be fun

11. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Dynapar

there were ummm some minor difficulties on the installation process[xx(] just ask chux. we started at maybe 5:10. the fronts when in easy. only hard thing was disconnecting the brake lines to get the struts out, aong with another wierd clip deally. basically easy. alright so the fronts look good now to the backs. first off take of the tire, and mess witht he brakes. then look for the top bracket fro the strut. cant see it from the trunk sp it must be under the trim. look it up in trusty chiltons. "Remove seat assembly" great. gota take out the whole back seat and trim. next remove the 12 mm nuts on top. all good. then time to remove the bolts that secure the strut to the rotor. put the impact wrench on it and it didnt budge. we ran the o2 compressor out of air like 3 times. then came the liquid wrench. hosed that on there. got the 19mm box end wrench on it and a hammer. didnt move one bit. however alot of dried mud did fall from the bottom of my car. no more ideas, its about 9 o clock now. we gave up. bleed the brakes and put the back seat assembly back in. yar.... to be continued.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Took me, lee, fuji, and fong 12hrs for mines :(. Heres a little suggestion. Dont bleed your barkes. Instead cut the strut guides for the barke lines. They should be bendable after they are cut. then guide the lines through those cut guides...

12. Dynapar

good idea i will try it next time

13. morganm

morganm New Member

Sounds like yall had a rough time with the suspension parts :( They are real buggers to say the least.

How many PSI was the air compressor cranked to when using the impact wrench? I had some strut bolts on my GL wagon that 95 PSI wouldnt even budge. That bolt was no match for my breaker bar and 4' cheater :) I'm no strong burly guy but leverage is your friend. Also an oxy/acedeline torch can really help.

When are you guys working on it again? I could come by with the cheater and torch if you need an extra hand :)

14. kickin_81

The two strut bolts that hold the suspension to the front axle should be torqued to ~112 ft/lbs. On a GC Impreza at least... ;)

15. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

My compressor runs at about 75-80 psi, so it had some pretty good poundin'. We'll definately let you know before we try it again, we're going to try it at a place with a commercial compressor :eek: so that should take care of it}:)

16. kickin_81

If you think 112 ft/lbs is a lot, try installing an anit-lift kit onto a GC. It needs to be 137 ft/lbs for the self-locking nut, and 181 ft/lbs for the two bolts that hold the ALK to the car. :eek: