Anyone heard anything about Pro Tuning Lab?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by STi Scott, Dec 1, 2009.

1. STi Scott

STi Scott Well-Known Member

I was looking for downpipes for my '05 STI and ran into this one online... http://www.protuninglab.com/suwrxstiim02.html It is a bellmouth downpipe that is full T-304 stainless steel with machined flanges, and is only $109.99 brand new shipped! That is way cheaper than any stainless bellmouth downpipe I have seen. Has anyone heard anything bad about the company, or anything good?

2. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

3. STi Scott

That does look identical. I had a ebay turboback at one point, and was not happy with it. The fit was terrible, and it was starting to rust in some places. Makes me think I should stick with a well known brand. Cheapest bellmouth I saw from a name brand was an Invidia one for $227.99 brand new, anyone know of any other name brand bellmouth downpipes that can be had for cheaper?

4. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Member

Idea:
    buy the cheap one and if it doesn't fit perfect just pay a muffler shop to weld in a flex section. Coat it with some rustolium if you're afraid of it rusting. Just a thought...

5. STi Scott

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Make sure not to use those gaskets! Get ones from Subaru or TM. I probably use the OEM mounting hardware also.

7. STi Scott

Is this style of gasket prone to leak or something? I've just reused the factory gasket in the past, and never had any issues with leaks so I will probably just do that.

8. 2barsti

2barsti Well-Known Member

Buy the AMK Racing downpipe for $149.99 and use the Grimmspeed gaskets.

[​IMG]

9. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

Don't re-use the factory gasket when mating up a different downpipe. I re-used my stocker when I unmounted and re-mounted my stock DP.

The surfaces aren't the same between a stock DP and an aftermarket one, so it will be compressed in different areas.

I'd put on a new one and do it right the first time. :)

10. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

Why?

I'm just curious...

also, I bought the protuning lab piece on Ebay a few weeks ago. Still waiting to see how fitment is..

11. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

I saw an HKS on craigslist yesterday for $100

12. 2barsti

If that's the bellmouth design that's a great deal. I know the old hks ones came with the flat plate flange and run between $140-$160 brand new.

13. 2barsti

Cheap and feels like cardboard. When I got my amk downpipe and used the cheap gaskets that came with it, the turbo to downpipe gasket blew within 2 days. I got myself some Grimmspeed ones and everything has been good since then.