Anyone into Fishes? Aquariums? as a Hobby...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sogonerg, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

I guess you can say that is my 2nd Hobby...I currently have a Saltwater Reef Setup at home and love them colorful corals and fishes...They may look fake but they are real. I'm just curious to see if anyone is into this type of stuff too?

2. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i used to be but everything kept dying, i must have been doing something wrong

3. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Same here...Trial and error...The key is "Patience" which I have none..I think I may have ADD! Let me know if you want to setup one again...I can definately help you out! I have some tricks up my sleeve to make it work, especially Saltwater

4. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

i have a rediculously huge gaint gourami named darwin, hes probably a good 12 inches.

5. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

ROFL, I used to have a freshwater tank with gouramis and platys. The platys bred like crazy and next thing I knew 8 platys turned into 80+ platys. Then they would pin the gouramis into the corner of the aquarium and gang rape them. They were hump crazy for sure. I ended up taking 50 of them to my local aquarium shop and sold them off. Not one week later I could see the little baby platys moving about the vegetation again. Next thing I know I had 80 platys again. You can't lose with live-bearers.

6. STIwannabe

STIwannabe New Member

I'm into that sort of stuff too. Are you guys in the reef club?TCMAS. I'm running a 75 reef tank with some softies and sps.

7. SLoBaru

SLoBaru Well-Known Member

Well not me, but my friend is into that stuff. He has a 150 gallon tank for saltwater fish... but no fish yet. And he has spent about 3000 dollars on it so far.

On a side note. Hey Ray (Sogonerg). I bought my car from you!

8. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by AWDimprezaL:
    i have a rediculously huge gaint gourami named darwin, hes probably a good 12 inches.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW...A fish that big has to have a name...It's Part of the FAMILY!
    I kinda do my own thing...I do not join any Fish club because I do not have time to even go into the Forums...I always get my stuff through Fish and friends in BP...Dan and Joe are 2 coo dudes...

quote:
    Originally posted by SLoBaru:
    Well not me, but my friend is into that stuff. He has a 150 gallon tank for saltwater fish... but no fish yet. And he has spent about 3000 dollars on it so far.

On a side note. Hey Ray (Sogonerg). I bought my car from you!

I only have a 75Gal. tank but my whole setup cost me about 7k...hehe...Trial and error! haha...

I sold you a car? what car did I sell you?

9. SLoBaru

SLoBaru Well-Known Member

Damn, you fish guys are seriously crazy. But it's definitely a cool hobby. I bought an 06 impreza 2.5i (regal blue) a little over a month ago from ya. Either that, or I have the wrong person. My brother is the dude with the A4. It's me, Larry.

10. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Oh...Hey Larry! I remember you...Welcome to the CLUB! My goal is to sell everyone here a car..LOL

11. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Here a pic of my Setup

YES! Everything in the tank is REAL, even the Rocks... :D

12. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

Nice tank! I'm big into saltwater kinda stuff. I had a 20 gal. sps tank here at school but had to take it all down and sell the livestock because of x-mas break and the unstability of everything. I used to work at www.oceansfloor.net and I probably will work there this summer again. If you guys have any questions at all about salt water stuff feel free to task, I've been into it for about a year and a half and when I say into it, I mean that was my life. I'll find some pics sooner or later with my old tank :D

13. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Thanks, Can you get good deals on live corals? fishes? I'm always looking for a good deal on livestock and supplies...You guys carry Mark Weiss and Salifert supplements?

14. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

Nice tank, I have a tank, still haven't had the time to set it up yet, as of now, I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it, freshwater, salt or reef.

15. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

wow thats a nice looking tank.

hehe the extent of my pet fishes was a couple betas and a fish bowl lol. dont worry i didnt mix the betas.

16. Cole

Cole New Member

I've had a ton of fish, but only one saltwater tank. It was way more work, well worth it. It was pretty sweet, instead of a stand, I had it in an ancient console TV that I pulled the guts out of. Had the lights hooked to the on off knob.

I've been thinking lately about setting up a new tank. And since I've got plans to finish out my basement, I was comtemplating putting a built in tank into one of the walls!

17. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I just have three fresh water tanks, and for some reason I only keep platys and mollys.
    (oh and the bata fish that I keep here @ work, that won't die.)

18. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

i am currently letting my 55g fresh water tank settle, i have 10+ corydaras in there, 2 big algae eaters, 2 placotomus(spl?), 1 giant stripe looking fish(7inches) my dad bought which i have no idea what it is, a big red tail black shark, and 3 algae eating shrimps. Im currently awaiting a jardini arowana to add to that tank.

I also have a 5g nano salt water tank. It was an experiment and it's comming along very well. Maintaining it is a pain beign i have to add water to it every week but it still a really nice set up that i have. cost me abotu 150 exclusing fish to set it up. I currently have a zebra lion fish, a stripe damsel, and a few hermits and snails in it. The lion fish is getting too big though.....anyone wants a zebra lionfish? it eats anything that fits its mouth and is very healthy.

19. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

KEEP THE LID ON TIGHT! for the arowanas and jardini's...btw you dont have any money for susp parts but you got money for an expensive ass jardini???

20. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Xcelor8- Thanks, IF you need help setting it up let me know...Saltwater (fish only) is hard, but Reef is easy (but cost $$$) Freshwater...(priceless, JK)Dynapar- Thanks, I'd mix it, just place bets who wins first...

Yea...those Jardinis (Austrailian) are $$$ they start around $80-$100 for a 4-6in. size. All Arowanas have a tendency to jump out of your tank

21. snbrd4evr

It'd be kind of a pain in the ass because the store is in Illinois. But I'm pretty sure we carry mark weiss and safilert stuff. To be honest (I just discussed this with my boss last week), you're better off buying your hardgoods through Dr. Foster and Smith or other stores like those. His cost is about the price of those stores online :lol: Here's another great store to buy stuff from, http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc . Have fun guys and I'm glad there are more people getting into this, I wish my tank was still set up, I still have all the hardgoods so maybe when I get home I can start again :twisted:

Random Pictures!!!

22. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

Actually I had a reef tank for about a year or so, and I worked at a fish store (awof) for like 4 years, but I'm pretty out of touch right now, that's one of the biggest things holding me back right now. Reef central is insane, I try to catch up a little, and then my head just starts spinning. I got some VHO's I can use, in fact right now about the only thing I need to get a tank running is a heater...

I need to find more out about sand bottoms on a reef tank, and the live plant thingy in your sump for filtering, whatever they call that. I have a wet/dry, but I don't think I'll use that on a reef tank.

23. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

geez, those tanks are cool. it kinda makes me want to get one, but too much money and too much work lol.

so are you guys gonna grow your own coral sponges to wash your cars with?

24. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Nice Polyps and richrodias..I think that is how you spell it...I can never spell those names correctly...Anyways, that tank above looks way bigger than a 20gal tank, kelly...Looks more like a 55 gal setup. That is also a real nice setup of your live rocks, can't wait to see you put some corals in. Is it newly setup or has it been running now?

25. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Hey Raqy, nice 75g. Are you a member of TCMAS also? Join up with us and you can get some good frags. I bought all my coral from local members. If I even bought them. I have gotten alot of frags for free or trade.

I have a had a 20g for 3.5 years now. Just holding off on a larger tank for when i get a house.

Have a 250w 14k metal halide, Remora skimmer and a couple power heads for flow.

A few pics;

Whole tank shot, pretty old one, this is before I moved to the citites
    [​IMG]

Gold Maxima Clam
    [​IMG]

Some zoa's;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A mix of shrooms and zoa's
    [​IMG]

Rainbow and Yellow millipora
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. snbrd4evr

Wow!!! Beautiful tank!!! are you on nano-reef.com?

Unfortunatly I had to take everything down due to an unstable overflow. It would randomly stop flowing X amount and the pump would empty the hob refugium and the tank would overflow. I got sick and tired of it so I sold the liverock, coral, my kickass sixline wrasse and my snails back to the fish store. It is indeed a 20L, I love how it looks so much bigger than it really is and that's why I choose it. The ricordia's and polyps were in my first nano-tank (an original 12 gallon nano-cube modded with 90 watts of pc light and a maxi-jet 1200. I tried doing some sps with it but failed so I started the 20 long. That thing was maxed out on lighting and flow, it was great (250W 14K metal halide, mag 7 running through a sqwd (that's 700 gph)). I will probably use everything again and drill the tank so it will be much more stable. I can't wait! And everyone should post more pics of their tanks! Go! Do it!!! :lol:

27. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah I am on nanoreef.com, reefcentral and TCMAS(Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society) here;
    http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Yeah, I am making(made) a 20l for a zoa tank. Mag7, on a sqwd with a built in overflow. Going to have 150w VHO lights on it to keep the heat down. Thought I had pics of it on photobucket but I guess not.

28. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Great! Light with the Halide Lights...I wanted to get one, but decided to get the compacts because of my canopy...I still wanted to use it. With Halide lights it would get way to hot. Plus my tank is acrylic. I'm from the west coast so we all use Plastic..haha...But my next tank will be glass. I do not want to join because I won't have any time to even check mail or talk to peeps about it. MNsubaru and work is taking most of my time. Sorry I just do not want to join and not be able to take part in the community. But I'll be glad to trade and talk more about this with you guys here.

29. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Yeah the halides are nice. I love the shimmer lines. I had 110w pc fixture over it for the first 3 years. I got the Hamilton 14k MH last October and wouldn't go back. That first picture is when I had just gotten it. All of the zoa's are along the sandbed for the acclimation to the MH.You'd have no problem running MH on a acrylic 75g.

I'm running bare bottom now. Getting pretty good results, although the tank has been neglected since I got my car last December. I am debating whether I want to sell all my live stock off and wait till I get a house. I dunno. I have a 20l and a 40breeder drilled with 1" and 3/4" bulkheads, ASM G1 skimmer, return pump and was pretty much going to move all my MH, SPS and clam in there and throw the LPS and Polyps into the 20l I have with 150w VHO.

I dunno what to do at this point. I love it all so much I don't want to sell any of it. But, I don't want the burden of it right now either. Moving around all this live stock is no easy task.

30. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Are you adding any supplements too? All in one? Iodine? Trace elements? etc...I currently have Highout Compacts about 384W total...Planning on upgrading my bulbs to 480W total...They just came out with 120w ea. bulb instead of 96w. You can actually see the shimmer with these compacts without getting as hot as halide lights.

31. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Well if you are planning on selling some of your stuff let me know..I would love to buy your corals from you...I just got to find room in my tank first..hehe..

32. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

I add Kent 2 part buffer, magnesium(Epsom Salt) to my fresh salt water during water changes and top off with Kalkwasser.

Kalwasser is the shiznit!

Edit: If I decide to sell, I'll let you know.

33. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Cool..I use too much stuff for mine..I have 1-2 things I put every day

34. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Damn Ray thats a nice looking tank. I need to get back into this sometime soon.
    I bought 3 piranha a few years back as babies. They grew to about 6" until I was on vacation and 2 of them ate one (well, half of him anyway). They grew to about a foot until I went on vacation agai and my girlfriend killed them. Oh well, they were getting expensive to feed and were outgrowing the tank fast.

35. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^^Thanks Sheen, GF killed them? Or u mean half of him anyway...haha Yea..I like aggressive fishes, they do usually have a great color to them. But you are limited to what you can put in the tank. Cost $$$ to maintain but it is a stress reliver for me when I get home..."Here fishy, fishy, fishy"

36. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

erik: i can get a jardini aro for 30 bucks....but it's on rare occasions....har mar pets over here gets in 2-3inch jardini's once in a while. Im just awaiting til he gets some before i pick one up. If not i'll just settle for a silver.

also here's my salt water set up. these pics are from when i first started it and the water hasnt settled yet.

the main 5 gallon tank

[​IMG]

the sump tank 2.5g

[​IMG]

and the ghetto rig filtration that allows the water to go from one tank to another.

[​IMG]

37. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^Your not using that Cycle stuff are you? How long have you has your tank setup? Are you using live rock in your tank?

38. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

A local TCMAS member is having a sale this weekend 40% off all corals.

http://www.razercorals.com/xcart/home.php

I think he is in Bloomington. I normally got my stuff from JnS(Jerry) on the TCMAS forums. He always some sweet zoa's, fire n' ice, pinks, ppe's, lots of stuff that no local fish store carries.

Personally, its the way to go. Shipping live corals just kills the whole internet pricing.

39. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

those are live rocks and live sand. everything in the tank is live. Also what cycling stuff are you refering to? Im still a newbie to salt water but i've kept fresh water for years. i've had it for a good 5-6 months now.

btw, who's going to the aquirium show at fridly this month? i saw an ad in a local petstore.

40. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

^^^Your saltwater tank is still cloudy after 5-6 months?

41. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

Does he let you pick it up from his store? or is it out of his house?

42. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

no, its clear. that was the first week of setting up the tank. I would've gave up if it took that long to clear.

43. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

His store is his house! :lol:

There are a few people who run online coral sites from their homes around here.

That 2.5" Gold Maxima clam I have... I bought it for $20 locally at Jerry's house(JnS) in Coon Rapids. Not much for a site, as most peopel come to 'window shop' :lol: But here it is:

http://jnsaquatics.com/

Same clam is $90 online @ Dr.FosterSmith.com not including shipping :shock:

Same with snails. $.50-1.00 depending on if it s Astrea, Cerith, Turbo. World of Fish, Something Fishy want $3+ for them a piece.

44. Sogonerg

Sogonerg Anteater

WOW? $20 for the maxima? Where does Jerry get his coral and inverts? If you have time I wouldn't mind going over to Jerrys and check it out...I live close to coon rapids. I usually get my corals from Dan "Fish and friends" in BP he has good pricing also, but of course he has a store overhead to pay for. I bought a 6 in. eletric blue maxima for $70. the bigger they get the $$$ it is..

45. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Heh, if he told me where he got his corals. I'd be dead. He won't tell anyone, otherwise everyone including myself would just go over his head and buy direct.

If I decide to go over to his house soon. I'll let you know. He'll hook you up good. He always treats me well.