Anyone know this car @ Maplewood Audi?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by LagWagon, Dec 3, 2012.

1. LagWagon

LagWagon Well-Known Member

2. stiv5

stiv5 Well-Known Member

For that price, I wouldn't even buy it. You are better off getting a '09 wrx and up. Also like you said too heavy modified and no history of previous owner. Stay away.

3. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

It already has a VF52 swap according to the listing. Mods look decent, but price is really high and I wouldn't buy a car that modified without history.

4. LagWagon

What's the best dealer in the cities?

Bville has a nice '11... but its 26k

5. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Three grand for a car that is 3 years newer sounds like a good trade off to me. I'd go with you first instinct and stay away from the 08'. How many miles are on the 11'?

ofspunk7 likes this.
  6. LagWagon

7. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Need to buy from dealer or does it not matter? Willing to travel out of the cities at all??

8. LagWagon

Doesn't matter that much, but I've been hosed by the last 3 individuals who have sold me a car. 2 blown headgaskets, 3 bad clutches, in 4 car transactions... and I get PPIs and what not, it just doesn't seem to matter. People are just dishonest and ****ty. Dealers have the liability thing that private parties don't.

But I am willing to travel, I think

9. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Well I guess I don't know what cats you bought before, but if your looking close to new then transferable warranty would help a lot, also how did you not notice some slip in the test drive if it went out that quick?

10. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

What is your price rage and things you are looking for, I'm constantly looking so I should be able to find some ideas for you quick with some more info on your wants

11. LagWagon

Two BMW M3s and a Chevy Beretta (lol)

I am looking for '11 WRX 5 door with under 40k miles preferably in the 20-24k range

12. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I would talk to Morries Minnetonka. Ask for Scott.

BroCo likes this.
  13. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

"TurboSmart Plumb Back BOV -- BOV is blow off valve. This is the part that regulates the boost pressure of the turbo.

I would walk away just from that comment.

14. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

price rage and what cats!

Tash, you are killing me.

Tash likes this.
  15. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Lol awesome...he still never told me what cats he has bought.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  16. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

They forgot to add after market wing to keep you planted at MACH-3

17. LagWagon

So basically, don't buy from those dummies?

18. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

First, wtf is flutter dump? Sounds like something Derek would do after a few too many beers and some taco bell. Probably just wastegate flutter and not compressor surge if it's a fully recirculating dv.

You're on the right track. If it drove well, you like it, you're ok with the inflated price, and you find some history on the car, get a compression test and buy it if it passes. If you don't find out more history/previous owner then pass.

Also, seems strange that you're cross shopping a car with transferable warranty (which means pretty much stock in the Subaru world) and this car. What is it that you really want?

Mr.Tran and ofspunk7 like this.
  19. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

LMFAO.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  20. LagWagon

Flutterdump is wastegate flutter, but it also sounds like it has a case of compressor surge under taking throttle off at about mid-range rpms, full boost
    [Sounds like this but higher pitched and only under boost

I am convinced the boost is just much lower than what the BOV was set up for

I did like it. I liked it a lot. MAPerformance did all the work, so that is reassuring, but at the same time I don't know **** about subarus, so if something broke on that car I'd be lost

I have a 600hp capable turbo E36 M3 so I'm not afraid of modifications, but I'm looking for a daily driver, because I already have a car that will fuel my power needs. However, I'm not opposed to something tastefully modded.. Also the whole reason why I posted here was to see if someone knew the car - and I'm actually quite surprised no one has said yes yet!

21. ofspunk7

My stomach is 100% able to obtain Taco Bell at this stage in my life. It only takes 5 or 6 times of getting food poisoning for my body to realize that there is no hope that I may learn from my bad experiences. The brain wants soft shell tacos and fire sauce! The outcome is irrelevant.

22. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

You want history..... Since MAP worked on it, they are the ones to ask. Tell us what you find out

ofspunk7 likes this.
  23. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

So much to say... so little time...

Anyway, what Fuji said.

24. LagWagon

Something wrong with MAP? I give them a lot of business, but I'm also hesitant to call them because I always end up talking to the dude who fiddles around with outlook all day and he never seems to know anything off the top of his head - often it leads to 20 minutes wasted and getting nothing done...

25. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

I remember seeing this car on my way to Maplewood Mall a couple of weeks ago. LOL Looks clean atleast.

26. retreif

Based on the ad alone I would have nothing to do with that car. My suggestion is spend a little more and get that 2011 linked earlier and do your own tasteful mods.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  27. LagWagon

Yeah I think you are right about getting a 2011. I am only 22 and have 2 cars already so it is hard enough to justify as it is, but it makes sense for me to get something better suited for long-term ownership and daily driving.

However, I am still afraid of getting into a bone stock WRX, because they're kinda doggish/undertuned from the factory. I demand a certain level of performance and I'm not sure if a stockish WRX can do that..

28. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

The suspension/track on the 2011 are nice to have, Subaru finally stepped it up with the chassis for the 2011+ models. 17x8 wheels from the factory and the ability to stuff stupidly large amounts of rubber into the fender wells without having to do much in the way of mods is a nice perk. A simple reflash will really wake up a 2011, bolt on mods are even better. Like the others have said, for what they're asking I'd be looking for a 2011 that you can be the first to mod.

+1 for calling Scott, for that kind of money you're almost into brand new territory on a base model.

FuJi K likes this.
  29. LagWagon

Are headgaskets still a common point of failure in new subarus?

30. ofspunk7

[​IMG]

BroCo likes this.
  31. LagWagon

32. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Looks like mine! And costs as much as mine did too!

33. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

lol

ofspunk7 likes this.
  34. retreif

If you are buying a non turbo car yes. It's all about the ringland in the newer 2.5l turbo cars. That one in Bloomington looks nice. For a hatch I mean. I think Subaru made 90% of the 2011s in black or seems like to me. Get one and get a tune from a knowledgeable tuner. Most folks here would say see Nuke or RS Motors. Either one you can't go wrong.

35. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Turbo's never had a major problem with headgasket failures. Subaru finally started usually a MLS gasket on the non turbo subaru's too....

36. LagWagon

The sales people over at Bloomington subaru are real pieces of work. Not buying from there based on my interactions with them.

37. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Take Readymix's suggestion if you're shopping dealers. There is a reason they're telling you to go through Scott at Mtka.

38. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

It seems if you look under 30 they are snobby, pretty stupid IMO since I've had at least 3-5 people interested in cars from there and had the same reaction.

39. LagWagon

I emailed and never got a response so I called in this afternoon and spoke to a guy who was actually pretty helpful but I couldn't understand a word he was saying and he kept interrupting me to tell me how nice the car was.

Then almost immediately after I got off the phone with him, some guy from there named Kyle called me and he was like "Sup bro this is Kyle from bloomington subaru, you emailed about the wrx we have." and I was like "Ah, I already talked to _name i forgot_, sorry man" and Kyle the douche (tm) was like "Nah bro I got your email first and i responded already, so you just tell that other guy to stop talking to you" and I was like "Okay, well, I haven't checked my email but if it is true that you emailed me before I called, I'll give you the sale if I decide to purchase with you guys". He seemed like he had calmed down now and was appreciative but once I was telling him what I wanted he started talking loudly and calling someone over while I was mid sentence...
    "Hey _name I forgot_, hey bro, come here bro. Jacob(me) emailed me first so I'll take it from here bro." *guy tries to argue* "Nah man, thats not how it works, ill take it from here, go away".. as I'm sitting here on the phone still... "We'll figure it out bro "

Then he finally returns to our conversation, this is what he says to me word for word:

"Alright here's how it is going to work Jacob. I've set an appointment for you tonight at 7, so you're going tocome and look at this car, sign the papers, and pick it up Saturday"
    Me: "uh, no, that's not how it works. I come check out the car, I think about it."
    "Naw man you will probably need to put down a deposit, this thing won't be here long"
    *I start to ask a question about the differences between '11 and '12
    "Bro I'm not a subaru guy so you probably know more than me, so I can't really help you out if you have questions on the specifics"

Are you ****ing with me, Bloomington Subaru?

/rant

40. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Morries or Walser. Done.

Morries Mtka takes care of us. I've also had really good sales experiences at Walser (jury is out on service, but sales is good).

41. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I'd run like hell, talk to Scott Putnam, as has been suggested, at Morries Mtk. and let him know that MNSubaru sent you.

42. ShortytheFirefighter

Anyone know if Ray is still working at Bloomington? He'd have been the guy I would've recommended if you were set on Bloomington.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Go see Scott at Minnetonka. For the prices you're finding on these used ones, you're not that far off of a new one and then you don't have to worry about what's been done to it. Scott won't give you the crap you're going to find at these other places. My deal with him was by far the easiest and least stressful deal I've ever worked.

BroCo likes this.
  43. ShortytheFirefighter

If three posts in less than two minutes recommending Scott aren't enough to persuade you, then I'm not sure what else we can do.

44. LagWagon

I worked for Walser back when I was still an impoverished teenager and was treated extremely poorly by one of the general managers over a very tiny misunderstanding. (See: Screaming in my face, swearing at me, belittling me)... This was at Nissan though, so maybe the Subaru dealer is better.

I will see what's up with Morries. I may just put it off a bit longer and save up some more cash/wait for a steal. I didn't realize it would cost me $240/month to insure the 2011 so I might want to reduce any loan payments

45. LagWagon

Anyone have Scott's email?