Ateq Quickset TPMS tool

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason C, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Snow tire season is rapidly approaching and I am all ready for the swap with the exception of a TPMS tool. I've been looking around online and it seems the Ateq Quickset tool is among the more affordable and widely used option out there for swapping summer/winter sets. However, it seems Ateq has yet to release a 2017 model software update and I have read numerous accounts of very poor customer service. I've come across other brands like Autel and Bartec, but they appear to have less of an amateur mechanic presence.

Anyone here use the Ateq Quickset tool? If so, how do you like it and do you think it was worth the $150? For lack of better options, I may just have to swap and skip the TPMS sync. Just to be safe, leaving the TPMS un-synced for the winter won't harm anything with the car, correct?

Thanks.

2. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Seeing how discount tire does it for free, I'm voting "not worth it". Doesn't hurt anything to leave them unset.

3. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

What Surly said. Put on the snows and swing by a Discount tire. Takes about 2 minutes for them. I've run my car more with the light on than off...

4. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

I bought mine a couple years ago, and it works great. No complaints.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Jason - just be advised that the ATEQ tool can only read the TPMS codes that are already on your ECU, and over write the ECU with the codes for your new sensors in the 2nd set of wheels. The ATEQ cannot "read" the codes from the sensor, so if you don't know the TPMS codes for your new sensors, you will still need to get another tool to "read" those codes, or take them to discount tire or somewhere.
    Is there a purchase required? Or can you literally stop in and they will read and update your ECU for free?

6. SurlyOldManMN

No purchase required.

TMF likes this.
  7. Jason C

Thanks, guys. I am aware the Quickset requires the ID codes of the other set of sensors in order to properly do the swap. Although I did not purchase the wheels and tires from Discount Tire, they were purchased from there and I bought them from the original owner. My plan was to go ask them if they would read the sensor IDs for me so I could use that with the Quickset tool. However, without the 2017 software available, I'm probably just going to either forego the tool for now and ask Discount Tire to reprogram the sensors, or just do the tire swap myself and ignore the TPMS warning light till spring. Since it won't do anything bad to the car, I might end up just going that way and not have to deal with reprogramming back when the summer tires go back on.

8. SurlyOldManMN

They'll do the swap for free too.

Source: Had them do it the last several years. I tip because that seems appropriate, but never get charged.

Jason C likes this.
  9. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

out of curiosity, which exact shop do you go to?

my regular shop couldn't program my new sensors (dorman?) that i tried to be cheap and bough off amazon, now reading the sensor description it says i need their own dorman tool, which i bought for 200$ and plan on returning as soon as the stupid things are programmed -- although i'm realizing that programming is not permanent and i'll have to be going through this again next winter.

10. iridium7777

iridium7777 Well-Known Member

just answered my own question, called discount tire and asked them if they can program the dorman stuff and they said no.

a tip for anyone that's looking to buy a spare set, do not buy dorman stuff.

11. SurlyOldManMN

I get the industry standard stuff from TireRack.

I used to go to the Apple Valley location. They were always very good to me regardless of whether I was in for a paid service or not. Would go back in a heartbeat this year except I need an alignment so... JTAG it is.

12. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

13. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint Vendor

I have an ateq. It works great. I have 2 cars and 2 sets of tires and wheels. Works fine. Get a used one if you can. Not like you you can show off your new ateq!

14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Display it on the dash when hard parked??

15. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Not sure about whether it will work on 2017 models, but it works great for my 2012 STi.

16. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

The Apple Valley location is generally good. I had an issue with some tires I ordered from DTD that JTAG mounted and balanced (they weren't round), and while DTD corporate did give him some crap, the DT in Apple Valley has been great about checking them out, agreeing 100% with Jeff and ordering in replacements. Very professional, where a lot of places would just blame the issue on "the other guy."

That said, every time they'd do a rotation of my tires on my truck they'd fail to reset the TPMS and I'd end up stopping at Jeff's to have him do it.

17. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

FYI, TireRack has the ATEQ quick reset tool on sale for $120 right now. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one...I figure it is easier to just change the codes myself (on 2 vehicles) than have to drive to Discount Tire every time I want to switch.

Jason C likes this.
  18. Jason C

Thanks for the sale notice, TMF. I ordered one. Figured even if the 2017 software isn't available yet, I can update the Quickset whenever it is released. I should be able to have the local Discount Tire read the sensor codes since they were originally purchased from them.

TMF likes this.
  19. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

it works on a 2016 wrx for sure.

Jason C and TMF like this.
  20. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yep, I used mine a couple nights ago on my 2016 Forester and it was able to successfully read the current codes in the ECU and upload the new codes for my new winter wheel setup. It does require running back to the computer, but it was actually very easy to use.

21. Jason C

Do I need to know the winter sensor codes before putting the tires on the car, or can I do the tire swap and then use the Quickset? I was planning on swapping to winters this weekend with an impending rain/sleet/snow predicted for the end of the coming week. To clarify more, I was thinking of using the Quickset to pull the original codes from the car, mount up the winter tires, and then go to Discount Tire to have them read and give me the winter tire codes to do the swap.

22. FlawlessFrontEnds&Tint

Yes you do and no you don't need to know. You can get the id's on the front side, or have them reset your light when you get new tires/wheels/sensors (because that is a learning process for your car) and plug in the ateq. It will read what the car knows it has. Then you can bring it to you computer app and it will be there.

So if you start with a light that is out, and you get a new set of wheels and tires, read the codes from you car's computer before you swap and either get the codes from the new ones or have them reset your light., and repeat.

Jason C likes this.
  23. Jason C

Thanks. I got the Quickset and checked out the software. Doesn't look like 2017 is supported. I also tried connecting the unit to my car to pull the original sensor ID codes, but instead of a solid green light, I got a solid red which I assume to mean failure. I emailed Ateq and hope to get a reply from them in the coming week.

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Did you try using the 2016 model? Also, when you are reading the codes with the ateq, you need to make sure that the key is set to "on", or on the push button start cars, that you push the "start" button twice (without the brake, no start), to get it into the "on" mode. The first time that I tried to read the codes from the ecu on my push button start Forester, I got the red light. Once I pushed the start button twice to get it to "on" and tried again, the ATEQ light turned green and it retrieved the codes.

25. Jason C

Yes to all. I have a key ignition switch and had it turned to "on" with all accessories running and dash icon lights on. Tried several times and got the solid red using the 2016 WRX STI setting (since it didn't have just a WRX model). I'm hoping it is just due to lack of 2017 model software support.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I see. Well you might have to wait for the next update. I would think that the programming isn't that different from year to year (Subaru doesn't change much), but it sounds like it is.

27. Jason C

A little update. I finally got an e-mail back from Ateq and they recommended I use the "2016 Impreza" setting as my vehicle model. I tried again and it worked. The unit pulled the factory summer tire codes from the car and they are stored in my PC. Now just need to run to Discount Tire and get the winter codes and the light should be gone in a few miles. I put my snow tires on anticipating some wintery conditions with our storm coming up tomorrow. I get a little chirp warning every time I turn on the car.

TMF likes this.