Ayrton Senna Died 13 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShortytheFirefighter, May 1, 2007.

1. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

A black day in motorsports history :(

RIP Roland Ratzenberger too, he seems to get forgotten because he died the same weekend.

2. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

And I've never watched F1 again. :emo: The sport died with him, for me.

3. mayhem83

mayhem83 Well-Known Member

I watched that race live. I could not believe what I was seeing.

Senna was not my favorite driver. I thought he was a bit of a prick, just like Earnhart Sr. However, there is no doubt Senna was the most talented at the time and certainly in the top ten of all time.

Right now, Senna is outbraking Fangio and Clark in a rain race at the Nurburgring Nordshlieffe. At least that's how it's playing in my brain.

4. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

You know, I can't actually remember every seeing Senna outside of the car. Everything I remember is the driving.

I remember quite clearly when Mansel was running the Renault with the active suspension and Senna was the only one who could come near him. I remember Nigel being insufferably smug and discounting the technology and stating that it was all him. Watching the in-car (well, out-car?) and you'd see Senna fighting the wheel like a madman, and then watch Mansel looking like he was on a nice Sunday drive, maybe having a spot of tea on the way, and there was no question why he was faster. So in my mind, Mansel's always been the prick.

Thinking about it, I don't think I watched any racing after Senna died until I started watching WRC in 2001 or so.