Back in the Saddle again.....!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by 007, May 29, 2018.

1. 007

007 Member

3F068258-C8FC-40F9-A925-9E244EDA0BEC.jpeg Brand new 2018 WRX. Delivered with 4.7 miles. Ice Silver metallic. Premium. Kicker speakers. Engine block heater. STi front and rear quarter spoilers. STi trunk piece. Vortex generators. Window tint.

The 2018’s look best in the lighter colors in my opinion. The new front fascia gets lost in the darker ones. The ISM really shows the lines of the car well. All that said, the Lapis Blue pearl looks stunning in person. I just did not want another dark color car to service.

Former owner of a fantastic ‘09 Stage 2 WRX. The new one is better in every way. Just logged 36.9 mpg over 55 mile round trip of highway and a few lights. Gearbox and motor are still a little stiff. Breaking it in strictly according to the book. Factory tune is slightly odd but the FA motor is fantastic. Nice clutch and suspension and the ‘18 is quiet inside with the foam and thicker glass. Pretty happy with the factory exhaust too. Wish first and second gear were a little taller. Infotainment is fine but no Apple CarPlay. Subaru Starlink is a mixed bag.

Already purchased:
    Fumoto oil drain valve
    Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and Subaru oil filters.
    Rally Armor Polyurethane
    STi side skirts
    Subispeed F1 JDM brake light
    Subaru roof cargo cross bars
    Weather Tech front/ rear/ and trunk liners
    Perrin Engine Cover Fix

Upload pics when I figure out how. Says files are too large for the server?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    silver03 likes this.
  2. 007

007 Member

A0C34EC8-6551-418B-A8E7-4334DE7E9D3F.jpeg

Attached Files:

pcwerk and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. 007

007 Member

A36361B3-CB98-41FF-AD65-B67650C20238.jpeg

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. 007

007 Member

3D69B898-82B9-4C50-BD63-31594E21C7F7.jpeg

pcwerk and tangledupinblu like this.
  5. 007

007 Member

6. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Very nice!

007 likes this.
  7. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

The key with Starlink is to launch the app on your phone first and from there it's butter. The only thing I really use is the Magellan Nav, works really well and you get a four year license free. After your break in period, I highly recommend getting an AP and running the MAPerformance OTS Stage1 tune. Night and day over Cobb OTS map.

007 likes this.
  8. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

I hate you for your MPG. Sweet ride there!

007 likes this.
  9. 007

007 Member

The 36.9 mpg was all highway at 55-65 with maybe 4 stoplights. But, it was a round trip and long enough to see that the FA20 really sips fuel if you stay out of the gas pedal. It has maybe 200 miles on it now. Still breaking it in under 4000 rpm with light acceleration and minimal boost.
    No engine mods for me until the warranty runs out. I really like my warranty. The dealer of my 09 actually did the Stage 2 mods so I modified that one at 1100 miles with no problems at all until I sold it. MN dealers may not be that mod friendly and SOA has clamped down on blowing up their cars.
    And.... if anyone is wondering, SOA can tell if the ECU was flashed and when. The dealer may or may not be able to tell but when SOA gets involved on a large warranty item, they are going to find out why the car failed. The warranty claim will be denied and you may then try to get them to cover it using your own time and money for an attorney. They do not have to prove anything as is commonly stated. If you change the car that came from Fuji Heavy Industries, you are on your own.
    I also agree 100% that the car is hampered with an “emmisions tune” from the factory and will operate and perform a lot better with a tune.

10. 007

007 Member

Forgot this. For owners of the 2015-2018 WRX, BUY the fan motor cover. It is technically not a WRX part number but the one for the current generation Impreza fits exactly in place. Do not forget to purchase the two “tree” clips that hold it to the top of the passenger footwell.
    I have no idea why this part was not included in the WRX but it makes a huge difference in the amount of noise coming from the blower fan. It’s about $40 and worth it. I noticed the fan noise immediately in my car but it may be because the 18’s are quieter inside.
    It takes maybe 1 minute to complete this with no tools.

klutz and tangledupinblu like this.
  11. skubi1

skubi1 Well-Known Member

At least with the SHORT warranty (60k), you won't have to wait long for it to run out! As for the gas sipping, I get around 24.5 MPG on a GOOD day of all highway driving. Had to explain to the wife about staying out of the positive numbers on the boost gauge to increase gas mileage. I still don't think she understood.

12. 007

007 Member

Ha ha. It doesn’t take much throttle at all for the dual spool to start pushing air into the motor. I posted the picture because the fuel economy is hard to believe. 24+ around town sounds right with some boost in there. 24 on the highway sounds pretty low for this car. Even my 09 did better than that.

13. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

The totally disproportional throttle to pedal ratio will wear on you quick from the OEM tune driving around town. Not to mention the valley that you hit around 5500 RPMs and the you feel power getting cut when you get on it. Both of these will be more evident after your break in period and your spirited driving goes up. On my third WRX (never any bolt-ons) and have never been denied any work for having a tune, they can tell at the dealership. There is a byte that increments every time the ECU is re-flashed, the techs can see this (I was told). Nevertheless to each his own, FYI this last Sunday night driving back home from Uptown, cruising down Excelsior Blvd observing the speed limit. 32 mpg :thumbup:

14. 007

007 Member

Thanks. That’s great information. I knew the dealer who did my 09 said they could tell if, when and how many times the ECU was flashed which didn’t matter since they modded the car and would be doing any warranty work.
    Modding the car with bolt-ons or flashing the ECU can be grounds for warranty claim denials but not usually unless the mod is directly related to the failure. An ECU reflash, for example, would be a prime suspect for engine, clutch and transmission claims is how it was explained to me......but not for something like air conditioning or brakes.
    Everyone has a different comfort level with risk. Also, a full warranty is an expensive item incorporated into the cost of a new car.

I know what you are saying regarding the throttle to pedal ratio. It is not a good stop-n-go traffic car as it sits. Still short shifting and not above 4000 rpm or even any deep throttle for me yet.

15. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Agreeing with you that the silver really compliments the lines. Nice choice!

007 likes this.
  16. 007

007 Member

Thank you. Went to the dealers and saw all the colors in person before I special ordered this one. This car has a lot of body lines that show up better in some colors than others. Especially with the 2018’s and the new front fascia. There is a lot of black up front.

Silver looked great to me obviously....and it still looks good dirty.
    You can’t go wrong with WRB in this car. Ever.
    The Lapis Blue is also really nice.....almost some purple in there. But it’s dark paint care and feeding.
    The White is very nice and looks great with the wheels and some dark accents and tint. White is #1 by sales.
    Dark Grey is sharp. Bordering on monotone though in stock form. I think it is last by sales numbers.
    Black is OK if you like to service black paint. I already have a black car. One is enough. They look so sharp...for about one day after you detail them.
    No red for me....but it’s not terrible.
    The 50th anniversary colors remind me of the color of some old guys bermuda beach shorts. They look bad....even shined up on the showroom floor.

JuStaWRX, drac77 and tangledupinblu like this.
  17. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I am really curious to see the Series.Gray color, I have seen reference to it being a khaki gray. Which if that is anything like the sharkskin matte almost primer gray like the Focus RS comes in I would be really interested to see it on the car. Seen wraps in that color and it looked pretty good.

007 likes this.
  18. 007

007 Member

Toyota has a matte/ khaki grey that I have seen on the Tundra TRD Pro 4X4 that looks pretty good with dark wheels. Maybe they are sharing?

19. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

He can't fool us...with that MPG I'm sure he has the CVT. :D

Nice looking car. Enjoy.

drac77 and tangledupinblu like this.
  20. 007

007 Member

Ha. No. It’s the 6 speed manual. No A/C on but sunroof open on that mpg run.
    I didn’t even see a CVT at the dealers. I don’t think they sell many.
    For some reason, the CVT is actually listed as having lower mpg BUT Subaru says it has something to do with the CVT car being tested differently than the manual and that in real world driving owners should see better mpg from the CVT.
    I hear a lot of complaining about the 6 speed but I like it much better than the old 5 speed and it’s stronger too.
    My 09 was faster to 60 though ..... even faster than the STi....because you could make it with a single shift. And it was lighter. I would not trade the new generation for it though.

21. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I think the CVT is a fair amount heavier than the 6mt, which may do more harm than good, even being the magical CVT. If there was a feasible way to get that 6mt in the SJ FXTs, it'd be perfect. I think you have sold me on the next car being this gen WRX though. I love what you've done with it!

22. 007

007 Member

Thanks for reading and thanks for the compliment.

It’s a sharp car car in almost any color and in almost any year.....except 2008 ha ha.......and I personally like the 2018 front fascia, grill and fog light bezels. They made numerous other small improvements for 2018.

Window tint helps any car. Rally Armor is a personal choice but there is no doubt it keeps the sides of the car clear of dirt and rocks. Vortex Generators.......meh.....some like them, others no. I like them on my car.

The STi bits are made to fit and look good too. Recommended but NOT cheap. I have a carbon fiber trunk lip on order that should finish it off.
    The interior fan cover is a MUST.
    The Weather Tech floor mats and trunk liner are a MUST in Minnesota. I put them in all my cars.
    Skip the Kicker Audio......save that money for REAL audio upgrades if you must have that.
    Other than that, it’s all stock.....it has it’s commonly known quirks but we are really enjoying it.
    Snow tires and rims in a few months.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  23. 007

007 Member

5EB84753-4596-4644-A348-EC8A1B12A8F3.jpeg 0B1A0924-CC87-4DBC-8688-C35AA060430A.jpeg 576A4286-E80C-46F7-AAB8-F18E92F1E0D4.jpeg

Attached Files:

24. 007

007 Member

Oh. And the F1 style brake light. As I have said elsewhere, I am mixed on this. I think it looks good and certainly gets the attention of people behind you so safety increases......but it is really bright at night and if you select the “flashing” mode it is VERY noticeable. At night, I think it might irritate drivers behind you and some policemen also.