Berkeley, CA City Council tells US Marine Corps they are "Unwelcome and Uninvited"...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ShortytheFirefighter, Feb 12, 2008.

1. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned at all. I've been following this story for the last few days.

Berkeley residents and City Council members turned against the local Marine Corps recruiting station, including picketing and barring anyone from entering or exiting the building. There is now a bill pending called the "Semper Fidelis" bill, basically removing over 2 million dollars that had been earmarked for the city and giving it to the Marines. I would love to see that one pass. Here are some related stories and video:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/12/berkeley.marines/index.html

Some of these protesters are amazing. And by amazing, I mean dumber than bags of hammers. Nice to see that some people have no memory, no concept of reality and the complete ability to take everything for granted.

2. Taras

Taras BANNED

I guess the government has a right to get people to join the army. However people have a right to oppose to this. At Hamline we tried to not let the Recruiters to hamline but we got threatend that we will lose federal funding. However they dont come anyway cause no one from hamline or Mac will join anyway.

3. ShortytheFirefighter

Here's my question: Why would you want to bar an organization that has helped make it possible for that school and this country to be there in the first place? And I'm sure plenty of people from both schools have joined the military, I think that throwing a blanket statement like that out there is pretty ignorant.

4. Taras

Taras BANNED

what organization helped to make what happened? And i can tell you that a very small amount of people are in the military from Mac and Hamline.

5. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

The USMC, or rather the military in general. They fight for all of us, even the pricks that oppose them.

6. ShortytheFirefighter

Something tells me that you're ill equipped indeed to tell me how many people have joined up from there, unless you have a list of every person who ever has. I'd be willing to bet that a lot more people than you think have joined out of there. And if it wasn't for the US Marine Corps (and the rest of the armed forces) this country wouldn't be here. Did you know that the Marine Corps is actually older than the United States?

7. Taras

Taras BANNED

Fight for what?

8. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

The men and women who have fought for everything this country is founded on and has been developed on over its existence, but you are retarded and know nothing about it at all it seems from reading ALL of your posts about any current or past events. so carry on, all i want to know is what kind of garbage you learned in Russia and what you saw on Russian TV.

9. ShortytheFirefighter

Ok, before you get to post in this thread again you really need to go read (hell, even a Cliffs Notes book would do) a history of the United States and one of the world. Your ignorance and lack of willingness to learn is painful. I don't care if this is viewed as a personal attack or not. You do realize that if it wasn't for the sacrifice of our military over the last 200+ years that this country would not exist, and the world would be a much different place? Hell, coming from Russia you of all people should understand how much of a vital part the military plays in a country, or did you ignore the lessons learned in WWII?

10. Taras

Taras BANNED

Way, i knew you did have a problem with me but personal attacks like that just dont fly.

I am not a retard and have a pretty good education. And my parents raised me pretty well . So back to the topic. It really seams to me that to some here Military actions is a panacea for everything. Bigger guns and faster rockets is all we need to be the best Nation in the world. I think we are past that, its stuff of the past. Globalization is something inevitable and very soon we will have to work things out with out big guns but with a high class diplomacy.

11. curly2k3

Or for all of Russia's campaign in the world for that matter, when Russia was a super power more than it is now, what was it's driving force? what has been the deciding factor in how RUSSIA has developed over the past couple hundred of years? Use your head, this is nothing new and The United States has been founded on military power and development, whether you know it or not the men and women who have served the country over it's history were the driving force for most of its development and power.

12. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

United states for the win....Always...and damn if they can't recruit..they should be allowed to for sure! This country would not exist if it wasn't for those willing to fight for freedom...No personal offense but I ****ing hate immigrants that feel like they can 'protest' and 'fight' our governments decisions ignorantly...Go ahead, disagree, fight it, scream and shout but KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....sorry end rant..usa forever

13. Taras

Taras BANNED

Russia was nothing after commies destroyed it. And now the only reason it still stands is because it has black gold like no other. No oil, no Russia.

Look at Japan, its rich and healthy, they dont even have military. Look at most of the Europe, like Germany they have a tiny military. I know US "concurred" both of these countries but i bet even if they had a chance to have a large military they would not.

Military is a very privileged place to be. I know its an honer for many to be a part of it. And respect that very much.

14. ShortytheFirefighter

We've been talking about the past, but apparently all of this is going right over your head. And I don't see globalization going on anytime soon. Russia is starting to flex their muscles again:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UODA4G0&show_article=1

as well as the fighting in the Middle East against Muslim extremists, as well as tensions in places like Venezuela, North Korea and Iran. In every society, there have always been those willing to fight and die to protect and defend a way of life, and those who are willing to take it for granted. Diplomacy will only go so far in the world, and it's been like that since the beginning of time.

15. Taras

Taras BANNED

I am not an immigrant. I came here to get an education and see the world, i will finish my degree and go about my own life, here, Europe, Russia anywhere else.

16. curly2k3

OH MY SWEET JESUS. do you honestly read a single damn post other than your own? its not ALL about the here and now, btw...every single one of your examples is skewed as all of those countries were developed with Military in mind. Try and prove me wrong, i got nothing else to do but rip you a knew one right now. seriously, dont look like a complete idiot anymore, go to the library and read some books about history, whether it be world or US.

17. Taras

Taras BANNED

Do you think Venezuela or North Korea is going to attack US? What for? Diplomacy and diplomatic talks thats what they need to do. Come to solution that does not involve killing anyone. Its not that hard.

18. curly2k3

Again, please for the love of God become less ignorant in these matters. i am not even going to waste more time explaining this one, as it REALLY wont matter.

19. Taras

Taras BANNED

I am talking about right now not History. History is history. If you can't chill and have a normal conversation with a person that has a different view than yours its not beneficial to anyone.

20. curly2k3

Its not a CONVERSATION if YOU dont listen. re-read EVERY other post in this thread, then go read a book...before that, please for the love of all that is good and holy don't post again.

21. Taras

Taras BANNED

I can say the exact same thing about you. You are being ignorant too. I am not trying to make a fight here. The only thing I said in a very begging is that the people in Berkeley have a right to protest if they want.

22. Measapon

Measapon New Member

Thats a foolish thing to say, if it weren't for immigrants there wouldn't be any Americans to fight in the marines that apparently built America.

And if you look at history military actions never really solve anything and just create more problems for the future

23. curly2k3

:banghead: :nono: :shutup: :banghead: :rant: :lollol: :banghead: :run: :eek:wned: :banana: :rant: :banghead:

24. Taras

Taras BANNED

Thank you, good point.

25. Taras

Taras BANNED

No need to get upset, its just a conversation. You just have to understand that others have a different view than yours and it will be ok. (*said in a calm and very positive manner*)

26. curly2k3

Yes, Pete brought up a ligit point, however, you have STILL missed every other point made. And, i honestly believe that there are two honest sides to Pete's statement.

27. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

I'll agree that military action is not the best way to deal with the world but to say it has no benefit is untrue. War does create necessity to develop and advance. Just look at all the advances we made during the cold war. It is sad but true, conflict breeds innovation.

28. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I would probably say thank God for that

29. jakeachy

jakeachy BANNED

taras, did you grow up is Siberia?

30. TSTRBOY2004

My question is if globalisation is the answer which country would you rather it be moulded around... one that is willing to send its fathers, daughters, sons, motehrs etc to fight for freedoms, or one that sits on it's arse and does nothing and doesnt give a rats about anything but hugging a tree...

31. Measapon

Measapon New Member

i never said it has no benefits but I think it is far from a solution, builds grudges, arms and empowers people who shouldn't be ect. We did make lots of technological leaps in the cold war but if it wasn't for the cold war would all of theses warlords in mid east and africa be armed so well?

32. Measapon

Measapon New Member

If we were fighting for freedoms right now we would be assaulting congress till they repeal insulting bills like the patriot act and the military commissions act

33. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Taras, do you understand anything about international relations? All of the states in the world act in a state of anarchy. Anarchy means there is no central governing body overseeing everything. Military prowess is a card in the hand of those states that have the bulk of the power. States do not necessarily have to use their military power, but is has to be a possibility. How else will other states with military power take you serious?

Japan hasn't really had much of a military since the end of WWII, and many countries, including ourselves, would be there the second anyone tried to mess with them. The world's economy is too dependent on their engineering and manufacturing to blow them up, so nobody does.

34. TSTRBOY2004

sorry mate but that was the stupidest thing said ever... since when hasnt 2 sides ever fought about something...

since BC it's been the same... always will be...

being a Christian I agree that diplomacy should be best but not at the expense of being a doormat... hey an example... Hey Muslims come to our country seek refuge from your government and its dictators etc, coem inside our borders with its' freedoms that have been paid for by our sons and daughters blood, then live the exact same way as you were trying to escape from... hmmmm... no tme.. as a Christian I say.. you need help, I will help.. but you piss on my turf I kick your arse.... you piss on the heritage that made it possible for you to come here and do so.. then I kick your arse... you get my point... assimilation isnt coming into a country and taking over it or complainging about how it is when you have more freedom then the country you took refuge from... duh wake up...

(sorry not a slander at all muslims ... just an example.. I have met many great and nice people who follow the islamic faith...) same as any culture.. you dont speak english but move to an english speaking country.. learn the ^&%^& language dont force that country to learn yours.. YOU MOVED!!!

and some things to stir it up more...

Some Interesting Facts: Jews and Muslims.

The Global Islamic population is approximately 1,200,000,000, or 20% of the

world population.

They have received the following Nobel Prizes:

Literature:1988 - Najib Mahfooz

Peace: 1978 - Mohamed Anwar El-Sadat

1994 - Yaser Arafat:

1990 - Elias James Corey

1999 - Ahmed Zewai

Economics: (none)

Medicine:1960 - Peter Brian Medawar

1998 - Ferid Mourad

The Global Jewish population is approximately 14,000,000,

or about 0.02% of the world population.

They have received the following Nobel Prizes:

Literature:

1910 - Paul Heyse

1927 - Henri Bergson

1958 - Boris Pasternak

1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon

1966 - Nelly Sachs

1976 - Saul Bellow

1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer

1981 - Elias Canetti

1987 - Joseph Brodsky

1991 - Nadine Gordimer World

Peace:

1911 - Alfred Fried

1911 - Tobias Michael Carel Asser

1968 - Rene Cassin

1973 - Henry Kissinger

1978 - Menachem Begin

1986 - Elie Wiesel

1994 - Shimon Peres

1994 - Yitzhak Rabin

Physics:

1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer

1906 - Henri Moissan

1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson

1908 - Gabriel Lippmann

1910 - Otto Wallach

1915 - Richard Willstaetter

1918 - Fritz Haber

1921 - Albert Einstein

1922 - Niels Bohr

1925 - James Franck

1925 - Gustav Hertz

1943 - Gustav Stern

1943 - George Charles de Hevesy

1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi

1952 - Felix Bloc h

1954 - Max Born

1958 - Igor Tamm

1959 - Emilio Segre

1960 - Donald A. Glaser

1961 - Robert Hofstadter

1961 - Melvin Calvin

1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau

1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz

1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman

1965 - Julian Schwinger

1969 - Murray Gell-Mann

1971 - Dennis Gabor

1972 - William Howard Stein

1973 - Brian David Josephson

1975 - Benjamin Mottleson

1976 - Burton Richter

1977 - Ilya Prigogine

1978 - Arno Allan Penzias

1978 - Peter L Kapitza

1979 - Stephen Weinberg

1979 - Sheldon Glashow

1979 - Herbert Charle s Brown

1980 - Paul Berg

1980 - Walter Gilbert

1981 - Roald Hoffmann

1982 - Aaron Klug

1985 - Albert A. Hauptman

1985 - Jerome Karle

1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach

1988 - Robert Huber

1988 - Leon Lederman

1988 - Melvin Schwartz

1988 - Jack Steinberger

1989 - Sidney Altman

1990 - Jerome Friedman

1992 - Rudolph Marcus

1995 - Martin Perl

2000 - Alan J. Heeger

Economics:

1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson

1971 - Simon Kuznets

1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow

1975 - Leonid Kantorovich

1976 - Milton Friedman

1978 - Herbert A. Simon

1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein

1985 - Franco Modigliani

1987 - Robert M. Solow

1990 - Harry Markowitz

1990 - Merton Miller

1992 - Gary Becker

1993 - Robert Fogel

Medicine:

1908 - Elie Metchnikoff

1908 - Paul Erlich

1914 - Robert Barany

1922 - Otto Meyerhof

1930 - Karl Landsteiner

1931 - Otto Warburg

1936 - Otto Loewi

1944 - Joseph Erlanger

1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser

1945 - Ernst Boris Chain

1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller

1950 - Tadeus Reichstein

1952 - Selman Abra ham Waksman

1953 - Hans Krebs

1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann

1958 - Joshua Lederberg

1959 - Arthur Kornberg

1964 - Konrad Bloch

1965 - Francois Jaco b

1965 - Andre Lwoff

1967 - George Wald

1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg

1969 - Salvador Luria

1970 - Julius Axelrod

1970 - Sir Bernard Katz

1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman

1975 - Howard Martin Temin

1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg

1977 - Roselyn Sussman Yalow

1978 - Daniel Nathans

1980 - Baruj Benacerraf

1984 - Cesar Milstein

1985 - Michael Stuart Brown

1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein

1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]

1988 - Gertrude Elion

1989 - Harold Varmus

1991 - Erwin Neher

1991 - Bert Sakmann

1993 - Richard J. Roberts

1993 - Phillip Sharp

1994 - Alfred Gilman

1995 - Edward B. Lewis

The Jews are not promoting brain washing for their children in military training camps, teaching them how to blow themselves up and cause maximum deaths of Jews and other non Muslims.

The Jews don't hijack planes, nor kill athletes at the Olympics

The Jews don't traffic slaves, nor have leaders calling for Jihad and death to all the Infidels.

Perhaps the world's Muslims should consider investing more in standard education and less in blaming the Jews for all their problems.

Regardless of your feelings about the crisis between Israel and the Palestinians and Arab neighbors, even if you believe there is more culpability on Israel's part, the following two sentences really say it all:

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.

If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel...!!!

again... I dont think this sums up all Muslims... just like the crusade dont sum up christians... there is extreme stupidity through out all MAN-made ideals...

35. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

true that.

36. Taras

Taras BANNED

Probably true Nate.

No, i grew up in a city that is older than US and has well over 6 million people living in it. Saint Petersburg. And i have seen a lot in my short life. I lived in a country that had 3 tv channels and you had to get food stamps to get food. I am no Commie thats for sure. And i have been though burn houses and car bombs and potential kidnapings as well.

I dont think globalization is an answer to everything. I just think that it will happened sooner or later. Its just the way the world works. And i dont in particular think that sending ones kids to war is a determining factor for a choice of a place of being in my view, but to each ist own view and i accept it.

37. curly2k3

wow, that is a...um, loaded post Nate.

38. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Do you honestly think that because of this "war" that we are in as a country, the US only resolves conflicts with military force? Have we bombed North Korea? Seems like that situation has calmed down quite a bit without military force. Weird.

39. WRXEcho

WRXEcho Well-Known Member

Education ftw.

40. TSTRBOY2004

here's what my Prime minister says...

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament.

"If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television
    "I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia : one the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false.

If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said. Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off.

Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want, to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said. Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians." "However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia ." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle."

"This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!""Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."
    "We will

accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."

"If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.

"This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

this line sums it up in one sentence....\

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

41. jakeachy

jakeachy BANNED

I dont know about you guys, but I really hate alot of Muslims.

42. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

Inform yourself before vomiting words

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_revolutions_and_rebellions

There is a list of over 300 revolutions and rebellions against dictators and unjust governments where an uprising was neccesary to build a higher quality of life for its citizens.

Just FYI, Over half of those revolutions and rebellions required assistance from countries who were willing to lend a hand, including ours.

43. curly2k3

wow, again...is that really needed?
    Nathan i can see where you are coming from with your posts, but its kind of pointing fingers and passing blame to a group of people...seems, i dunno, christian like to do tho right (ask Jews). This country has established rights to religion and is "separate in church and state", remember. :p

44. Taras

Taras BANNED

I am glad you think that way about Jews. I am Jewish myself(not by religion but by blood). And i know some Christians that think that Jews drink blood of Christian babies.

Back back to the point. I know a lot of Muslims as well and all of them are great people. A lot of them are here because US in some way screwed up their country and now feels guilty and has to take them here as refuges. Like people from Somalia for example. And some of those people are very poor uneducated and have only been here for a short time. English is not a hard language to learn but it takes time to learn it anyway. Older people cant learn languages as easily and quickly as kids as well.

And i dont really want to get into Palestine and Israel because its a whole different controversial and very heated topic.

45. TSTRBOY2004

I dont see any other group of religious NUTS trying to take over this country...

and mine is not to pick onmuslims.. but unfortunately i see things headign to SHRIAH law if we dont fight for our FREEDOMS nowa s a CHRISTIAN heritage NATION!!!!

hate it or not.. that's the value system this country was founded on!!!

sorry, again not trying to offend any muslims... and that previous comment was so uncalled for.. i dont hate muslims... dont care for their beliefs but them personally I can't say I hate as that is such a strong word...