Best STi hatch MY?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by ever0150, Jan 31, 2018.

1. ever0150

ever0150 New Member

What is the best Sti hatchback model year? Obviously Subaru stopped making them a few years back, but which one would you recommend purchasing?

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Well, aside from the 08 being the guinea pig model, any of them would be my answer. I would go based off of budget. If budget is no issue, i’d probably go with a 2014.

Also, welcome!!:)

-Josh

3. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

They made pretty good suspension modifications 2010 models and up I thought?

4. Mi_Ke_nnedy

Mi_Ke_nnedy Active Member

2011+, I thought.
    Pretty sure 2010 was just for the 'Special Edition?' Which was ironically a stripped-down version besides the suspension upgrades.

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The STI's are the same from 08-14, with the exception of the front bumper. There was perhaps some minor interior changes (black vs gray suede, bluetooth, etc). Otherwise the suspension was the same on 08-14 STI's. The WRX suspesnion did get an upgrade in 2011, perhaps even the 09 model.

The 2010 STI SE (special edition) did get a revised suspension...slightly higher spring rates and revised dampeners (I believe). Only came in Aspen White. Good luck finding one though.

The issue with the 08+ STI (well, any STI really) are the ringland failures. Happens to modified and stock sti's. Budget for a new shortblock or shortblock rebuild if you're look at an STI out of warranty. Otherwise, they can be fun cars.

6. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, have heard and read all about these ringland stories. I've had some dumb luck I guess with the two EJ's I've owned. Anyways the 2010 SE was produced in all of the available colors once they sold the first 100 or so units that were in the beautiful Aspen White. A DGM one sold not too long ago here in the cities ( I had to look up if it really was a SE since I too thought they only made them in white).

TMF likes this.
  7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Touche, I stand corrected!

Regarding the ringland failures, I think it is more common on the EJ257 (STI motor) vs the EJ255 (WRX motor). I have no hard data to back this up though lol.

drac77 likes this.
  8. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Nothing is better than a wrx wagon :D 2.0 is a solid motor, no real headgasket or ringland issues, plus the wagons look better :thumbup:

TMF likes this.
  9. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

I saw that one fs too!

@xluben has a 2010 STI SE, but in black. Check out his/the Dark Knight 2.0 Instagram...the thing is stunning and impressive!

With any of the GR WRX/STi hatches, was a back up camera an option?

Good luck OP on your search. My eyes have been peeled for a while but when they do come up, especially here in town, they go quick and often times above KBB because of their popularity/scarcity.

10. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I don't think the back-up camera started until the VA 2015 model.

JuStaWRX likes this.
  11. ever0150

ever0150 New Member

That is a sweet stealth build, thanks for the tip! Only 750hp though... ;)