Best suggestion for extreme high end performance shop in 5 state area

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by EXOTIC, Nov 7, 2010.

1. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

Testing the waters here on this site. Looking for a consensus for a HIGH END professional shop in the 5 state area for an extreme project.

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

db performance

3. carl

carl Well-Known Member

is it going to be subaru based?

4. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

Absolutely, it will be Subaru based.

5. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

RS Motors

6. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

Can you further elaborate as to the extent of design experience as well as to the reasons you suggest them?

7. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

i believe they built blake's setup, thing can rev!
    also juks setup. made some nice #'s there.

8. vangstaboi86

vangstaboi86 Well-Known Member

Orly?

9. zapman

zapman Well-Known Member

Tintmasters

10. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Definitely RS Motors.

11. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Will this "extreme" project run on Mountain Dew?

12. carl

carl Well-Known Member

yea, another +1 for RS Motors. Bikerboy and Ronnie ftw!

13. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

We will check out RS as well as DP Performance. We understand we have many to choose from, just looking for the pros and cons of each. This is going to be a no holds barred project for multiple competitions next year if possible. We are looking at laying down a good foundation and relationship going forward with whomever we work with.

14. goodhart

goodhart Well-Known Member

DB Performance. You're not going to find a much smarter guy than Shane when it comes to pretty much any kind of car.

15. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

PM me some details I am interested in hearing what you want to do.

16. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Ah Juks car is at RS right now. Just installed Vandi's fine work.

17. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

DB Performance FTW. If I were to build a car that's the only shop I would trust with my hard earned cash.

18. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

I'd suggest calling up a few shops to talk about what you want to do, what your goals are, and how you intend to use the car. Unless it's a secret, you could post them up here and more than a handful of members could tell you whether your goals are reasonable and what kind of budget you'd be looking at.

I'm not sure what you mean by "extreme," but assuming you mean building the block, relocating the turbo/intercooler, and choosing the supporting mods as opposed to something like switching to mid-engined rwd with a front mounted cooling system, there are a number of places to look at.

Personally, if I were going to commission all of the work, I would consider RS at the top of a short list because of their experience, results, staff, support, and equipment. Between Ronnie and Matt, you're not going to find a local shop with more mechanical, tuning, and diagnostic knowledge and experience when it comes to Subarus. They also have a respectable amount of seat time with non-Subaru platforms.

19. KSAL

KSAL Well-Known Member

I have been a customer of RS for 4 years now and had Matt build my car from the ground up! I'd say my car is fairly modified. Great guy and knows everything about a Subaru from the bottom up and from the inside out!

20. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

21. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

22. EXOTIC

EXOTIC New Member

It appears that we have some bias between a number of performance shops on this forum. We are leaning towards DB PERFORMANCE in Blaine. Wanting to keep this
    project in Minnesota, this may be the best bet. Adrian at Elite Motorsports in Saint Paul also gave DP PERFORMANCE a positive thumbs up as they referred them highly as well for very high end modifications. We are sure all these performance shops are great but we needed to narrow this down. We have a choice of building up the 2006-2007 STI, both are choices from Adrian. Any suggestions as to the main differences between the two years?
    Also, can anyone refer a great GRAPHICS person for a custom paint theme?

23. readymix

I guess my biggest question is, what for? What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish? 650HP? That can be done in your own garage if you have some knowhow and can read Nasioc threads. If you are trying to keep your project top secret, let me go ahead and break your dreams, if you aren't placing the engine in the ass end of the car and adding a 3rd pair of axles, then your project has already been done before. So, it would behoove you to just lay it out on the table so people can help you find the assistance you need. Asking what is the best performance shop in the area is just going to yield a crap ton of fanboy cockriding. Be more specific about your goals and people will likely have an easier time pointing you in the right direction.
    I have no doubt that DB and RS can both build a decent motor capable of 650whp. It's been done. Several times before this. So you simply follow the formula and do it. 650whp and some stickers isn't a PURPOSE. What PURPOSE does the car serve? Because then you might be looking at multiple shops to meet your needs instead of going one-stop for all of it. My only experiences with DB or RS are on the motor/tuning side. I can't say I've ever seen anything suspension/frame related from either of them in terms of Subaru. I know Matt at RS is highly capable, but I don't remember any proven work from RS or DB in terms of Suspension builds. And someone here can likely elaborate on examples of that from either shop...but you aren't going to get those elaborations unless you yourself elaborate on what your project entails and what it is you want this car to do.

Cliff's Notes: Tell us more about your project or this is just going to turn into a fanboy cock fight.

24. readymix

And turn off the italics, it's hard on the eyes.

25. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I would say RS, nobody has had thier hands on more subarus than bikerboy, shane may be the god when it comes to tuning, but there is no way he has the experience with subarus that bikerboy has. Ron and bikerboy make an incredible team when it comes to building subarus.

26. goodhart

Don't mind the e-peen flexing moderator. He just has to try to squash dreams of anyone who doesn't meet his special guidelines for posting.

+1 E-Thug for Readymix, and a who-gives-a-crap for "why" exactly OP wants 650whp. Maybe OP wants it so he can say, "I have a 650HP Subaru" Who are we to say anything about it? He didn't ask for how to get to 650 HP, he asked for a good shop to help him get there. Maybe because he doesn't like putting up with the E-Thuggery of people with sub-300HP cars on this site? Most likely. I don't blame him a bit.

EXOTIC,
    DB and RS are both great choices. If you have a timeline, I would call and talk to both Ron and Shane, maybe you can split the workload between the two shops, I know a handful of people that have done that in the last year and it has worked well.

27. readymix

Wow, are you stupid. Did you even read my post? If he wants 650whp, more power to him. That wasn't my point at all. My point is, posting a vague description of your project and expecting a one-stop shop to get it all done based on the suggestions of biased forum users is foolishness. He needs to provide more info about his project if he wants the suggestions to be more precise. There was no E-thuggery, learn what that means before you go blathering on about it, it makes you look like less of an emotional toolbag. And it has nothing to do with being a moderator either, or flexing my e-peen or whatever. Seriously, are you retarded or something? Where do you get this crap?

The people who give a crap "why" he wants 650hp are the people that are trying to give him suggestions on a shop. If we simply go by the 650whp standard, both shops will get the job done. Does he want just a motor build? Drivetrain too? Is this for drag racing? Time attack? Auto-X? Track days? Street use? Are you really this clueless to how a proper question and answer session works? Do you walk into Burger King and ask for "a hamburger" and get pissed when they give you a plain hamburger when what you really wanted was a Whopper with cheese, bacon, hold the mayo, extra pickles and onions? Specific details get specific answers. That works on forums, and in life in general. Pull yourself out from under the retard rock and get a ****ing clue.

And are you seriously pulling the "sub-300HP people" card out? Those people might not make 650whp, but there is a good chance they know who in the community DOES, and WHERE they got it done. Are you trying to imply that I have less than 300whp? As if that is some sort of badge of honor? You can shove your elitism and your 'y'alls e-thuggin' crap right back up your ass where you found it.

28. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Just based on these questions alone, you could build the car 6-7 different ways. A drag car will be built a completely different way than a track car.

People can build a 300whp motor 100 different ways with 5 different fuels and 50 different turbo's to choose from. I will admit, that once you get up in the 650 area you won't have as many options, but there will still be options. Do you want 650whp at 5k or at 7k?? Both will use completely different turbos and both cars will drive completely different. Same with what fuels you want to use. No way in hell would I use e85 for a dedicated track car. Yea, it is cheap and just like race gas, problem is that every tank of fuel will be a bit different. You tune it for 110 or c16 and you are pretty much guaranteed consistant performance lap after lap. For a drag car, e85 all the way. You are only on the gas for sub 12 seconds then you have a nice cool down. Even if the tune is a little off, your run time is small enough to save a motor.

Russ

29. 2barsti

2barsti Well-Known Member

RS Motors, DB Performance, Maperformance, Full Blown, and Elite Autosport can pretty much build you a 650whp car. Your best bet is to stop by each shop and get to know them before narrowing down who you want to build your motor. A few guys on here can pretty much build you a 650whp in their garage too. :)

30. goodhart

I did read the post, my point is, he only wants to be pointed in the right direction, at least that is all he asked for. If someone asks you directions to the nearest WalMart, do you go off on them asking them specifically what they intend to buy, and once they buy it what and how they intend to use it? lol After he gets his answer, he can ask Ron, Shane, Paulie, Momin, or even Jesus Christ himself what he should do, and he will get a MUCH better answer than a bunch of idiots on a forum. Maybe all he wanted was the hamburger because the condiments Burger King provides sucks and he decided to get them on his own. Maybe he only intended to ask a vague question because he isn't from around here? Ever think of that?

I am not implying in the least that 300whp is some sort of "badge of honor" as you pointed out, but someone who has made power before, has experience, and knows how to make power better than someone who has a stage 2 WRX (Which is 95% of this site it seems). Is that so hard to believe?

31. AWDimprezaL

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second. If you only have a stage 2 wrx you automaticly dont know **** about high HP subarus? I would venture to say that your average subaru nut (who owns a wrx, and thirsts for power) is going to know a LOT about higher hp cars, and the $$$ it is going to take to make one, so they back off and most likely just stay stage 2 and not waste the money. We all know it takes twice the money to make a subaru fast once you get to a certian point.

32. readymix

Not really, that short sighted opinion seems to be par for the course for you, so no, I don't find it hard to believe that you would think that way. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, who knows, but just because someone is fine with a Stage2 WRX doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of where the big build cars get done. Or that they haven't experienced them first hand.
    And what does 'not being from around here' have anything to do with not giving more information to people to get a solid answer?
    Wait wait wait. I knew this felt familiar. We've done this dance before. You're the guy that was giving the delicious victim complex milk to that chucker clown when he didn't give enough information and got all asshurt because nobody answered his damsel in distress call over 4th of July weekend. The cries about e-thugging. The comment about moderator e-peen. Yeah, my participation in this thread ends now. I wont play along with this whole Team Victim-Complex thing you like to get into.

OP, good luck with your build.

33. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

With your Walmart statement you're assuming RS and DB sell the exact same thing and are equally skilled with tuning, suspension, body, etc . . . and that is not the case. If it was, the OP wouldn't be here asking for a recco.

I think mix's point was just to specify so we could best reccomend a shop to him. Not just hand him our 'favorite'. Figure out what the OP really wants out of this build, then make an informed recco.

34. idget

That's really THE point when it comes to "how should I" or "who should I contact" to mod my car questions. The answer is always going to be "it depends."

A 650hp subaru, depending on the application, will have different suspension, transmission, safety, aero, braking, and tire needs. Russ gave a few good examples of hardware, tuning, and fueling differences for different builds. He even eluded to fuel capacity. Building a drag car with fuel cell is going to be a completely different task than building a time attack car that retains the stock fuel tank. Both will need an upgraded fuel system (pumps, rails, injectors at minimum), but one can end up much more elaborate than the other.

Take that a step further and think about what the ideal aero set-up would be between a high-speed road course set-up and stage rally. Is a sequential auto a better set-up or will a stock 6-speed with upgraded diffs and diff controller be enough? How about braking and cooling to the brakes? If the OP is talking about an 06-07 STi, what about fender modifications to fit wider wheels and tires? Should they go with the 07 over the 06 for the wider track from the slightly different control arms? Or do they end up rebuilding it altogether and go with a tubular front end? Will it be raced? If so, under what rules? Will it need a cage? A fire suppression system? Will it need to be stripped, including pruning of the wiring harness? It all depends on the application and what they want to get out of it.

35. idget

also, best post in this thread.

IBOPistrolling

36. goodhart

Never said that, or intended to say that. Was just saying that someone who has been there and done that is more experienced will probably know better than someone who has ever only made half that amount of power, and only read about cars with that much power.

Yea, we have done this dance before. It all started when you shat in the for sale thread for my old WRX. Professional. I know I'm not the only one around here that thinks you are the kind of guy that talks this big talk online, yet I bet you're the quiet guy in the corner at the meets, that wouldn't be talking nearly as much ****. Yep, that would be called an E-Thug.

37. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Nope, he talks loud and in front of everyone at the meets too. You should see him on TV.

If I wanted an affordable 650 Hp car I'd start with a Chevy engine. If I wanted an exotic one I'd start with a Porsche. Good luck with your quest.

38. AWDimprezaL

He is definatly not that guy. He is exactly who he is online, in person.

39. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

a douche?? I keed I keed.... hahahaha

with Mixx it's a get what ya see.... piss him off you get what ya get, but you know where you stand with him...

so does anyone have a recommendation on who to see if I want to build a 651hp car?? the shops are covered for a 650Hp but I want to go that little extra..

40. readymix

Definitely for that extra 1hp, go with World Motor Cars. David LaValle can get you where you need to go.

41. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

goodfart sure knows how to talk big. must be the massive ignorance coming out. of his back end.

42. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Thats basically EXACTLY how it came off.

Also, as Mix and many others have stated, simply stating that you want X power, isn't going to help with your build at all. That amount of power might not even be best suited for the type of racing you want to do, the tracks you'll be approaching, or your level of driving.

There are FAR too many variables, especially to only pose a question asking about a certain level of power. With that said, I personally still prefer Ron and Matt at RS, because they won't make some claim that they can't deliver on like a lot of other shops tend to do. Ron and Matt have also built more well rounded cars that I have seen, personally.

If you want BIG Hp drag car stuff? Talk to Fobia and Dipp, they're into that fast car stuff. If you're looking for Time Attack stuff, why don't you go on Nasioc and check out the LIC Motorsports car, and see what they've been doing and how much their car has changed since its incarnation.

Way, waaaaay too many variables, and clearly there are some dickwads that aren't going to be of much help in general in here.

Btw, a stage 2 WRX is a great DD, I personally don't need a 500awhp daily, hence why I am not putting my 35 twinscroll on my DD... but by your logic thats just because I'm an idiot, goodhart (which is semi-true anyway I suppose).

43. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

t3h mixx is who he is. he's as straight forward as can be

44. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Guess how I know you don't have any idea what you're talking about?

If you'd have been to any of the meets then you'd realize you're talking out of your ass.

Please stop.

45. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]