boosting a low comp, open deck EJ22

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Chux, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

so....everyone's going closed deck now...yada yada yada....

I want to know, if you use some custom pistons for slightly lower compression, or even just stock EJ22t pistons, how much boost could an EJ22 handle? I'm not looking for more than ~15psi or so. I don't need to see 300hp. but I'd like to get some more power. and I'd like to do it without redoing my wiring...

this is just one of my many plots....but I just thought I'd see what you guys thought about it.

2. KickAssFlash

KickAssFlash New Member

I think that is super awesome and you should do it for sure at 15 psi. Take the turbo off of your Toyota! Or is this that blower off of the mercedes or whatever?

3. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

9psi works on high comp ;)

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I've seen a few running up to 10psi, one for 3 yrs now, if that helps.

5. Threshld1

Threshld1 Well-Known Member

I think there are a few people over on bbs.legacycentral.org who are boosting their N/A EJ22 blocks. Do a quick search over there and you should be able to come up with what you need to know.

6. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

well, lets dive into this shall we. IIRC they changed the CR of the ej22 over time. the phase 1 EJ22s should wiegh in at 9:1 CR, while the newer ones got higher CRs, reports vary from 9.5:1 - 10:1. since you have a phase 1 EJ22 you are in pretty good shape.

so far from what i have seen from boosted 2.2ls, they are pretty dang tough. Erik has been doing liek what 9psi for a few months now. i ran mine at 5psi with no timing control and some other issues. i think that if you were running an EM unit, and some extra fuel, you could pretty easily keep it in the 12psi range. the NA EJ22s use pretty much the same internals as the 22ts. the rods are (forged) the same, the pistons are (forged) slightly different, and the cranks are slightly different.

so really you are looking at the cylinder walls as the weak point, and although they arnt reinforced to the 10x like the EJ22t, they aint a slouch either. the EJ22 NA has its reputation for being invicible for a reason (its awesome!). if your careful you can throw alot at it. if you lower the CR, you can do a heck of a lot with it. i bet that at a 8:1CR with stock internals, or just ej22t pistons you could hit 20psi.

7. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stock, N/A compression? or have they lowered the compression.

nate, the turbo on my toyota couldn't put out 15psi. I'd be lucky to get 5....especially without the extra displacement of the yota's motor.

any idea what compression stock EJ22t pistons would give me? maybe I should consider wiseco ones....

8. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

It'd be a wise move to drop in a set of EJ22T pistons. They are a hypereutectic cast piston. Better than a normal cast piston like the EJ22E, but not at the level of a forged piston. They are good pistons for the money, and can theoretically handle about 350hp. I still have the old ones from my motor.

The comnustion chambers on the old heads *should* be the same, as the heads use the some castings. The only difference is the oil and coolanr feed on the back of the right head. Ithink EJ22T pistons would give you the 8.5:1 comp, ut I'm not shure if there is a difference in the headgasket thickness between the N/A and turbo set. N/A cams run more overlap than the turbo ones, which would make them a more agressive cam on a boosted motor.

I'd try and find a turbo or 2.5l oil pan, as they have an extra baffle in the bottom of the pan.

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

ooooo...now there's something I hadn't thought of....I need a new oil pan anyway, maybe I'll just do that.

10. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I believe the EJ22T are NOT hyperutectic but "thermo flow?" They are high pressure cast and are coated. The EJ257 pistons are the hyperutectic ones.

unless the thermoflow are the same as the hypereutectics?

11. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The EJ22E and EJ22T cranks are the same...both are forged, as are all Subaru crankshafts. If you call up the dealership and ask them, they'll tell you that both part numbers are the same.
    All subaru pistons are cast, or the hyperuretic. None of them are forged.
    As for the compression on the EJ22T, it was 8.0:1. If you use the EJ22E headgasket, it will up your compression a bit as it was an entire millimeter thinner.
    Wiseco pistons will net you an 8.5:1 CR on stock EJ22 heads. With the 22E headgasket, you would be a bit higher. I can do the math for you if you want. But expect around 8.7:1
    Another thing to consider is that people are making 300whp on EJ20 open deck blocks. If you are using an EJ22T piston which is stronger than an EJ20 piston, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to achieve 300whp on your EJ22E open deck block. Other than the heads which flow differently than the WRX heads.

12. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

EJ22E w/ Wiseco pistons and EJ22E headgasket on EJ22E heads: 8.66:1 CR
    The only issue with this is that with the Wisecos you will have to bore the block. Wiseco doesn't make a Standard bore EJ22 piston.

EJ22E w/ EJ22T pistons and EJ22E headgasket on Ej22E heads: 8.19:1 CR
    Now, I'm not entirely certain on the EJ22E headgasket. From what I understand they use a .51mm metallic gasket, which IMO is superior to the Graphite/metallic EJ22T headgasket...which is 1.5mm thick. The dish on hte EJ22T pistons is a little bit bigger by 4cc's than the Wisecos.

Now it all really depends on what you want the motor to do. The higher CR setup will give you a little more low end grunt, but at the cost of cylinder wall strength and cost (you'd have to bore to fit the Wisecos) while the lower CR setup will be cheaper, but will be more laggy...but you'll save some bucks by getting some used 2.2T pistons off someone.

13. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

You are correct. They are the "thermaflow" whatever, which doesn't actually mean anything. They don't specify what production method was used to produced them, besides the obvious fact they are cast. High pressure casting is actually not as good as medium pressure casting like the EJ22T block is, since at high pressure, aluminum gets tiny air bubbles in the material which reduce its strength.

Anyways, you should be fine with the open deck block at lower power levels if you take other important factors into consideration. Intercooling, obviously, but mainly tuning. What are you gonna do about controlling fuel? Making shure you have enough fuel? Injectors? I was gonna throw my EJ22T injectors on 3bay, but they still are only 370cc. '92-'94 rails take nissan injectors(you already know) which can be had for cheap, relatively. '90-91 NA rails have a different part number, and I can't verify if they'll accept the SR20 injectors.

Then there's the gear box issue.

And so on and so forth. Nothing is ever as simple and cheap as you think it will be. Take my case...:eek3:

14. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

well, for starters, I'm shooting for about 200 whp. and will definately be using an IC, most likely air-water.

I'm looking more for a low, and even torque curve. so I'm thinking I'll stay with the 22E pistons. I don't plan to be above 4k rpms much.

I'm not entirely sure about management. but I'm thinking I'll get some good gauges, and moniter my AFR, and EGT, and such. I should be able to run 6-8psi of boost after the IC on stock management. but I might get Martin's old PP6 to control the fuel maps a little.