Brake upgrade goup buy

Discussion in 'For Sale : Car Parts' started by WRX1, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, I have taked about his before to some people, and I am going to start making some phone calls this week to start setting up prices. I just need to find out who is interested to get some close to final prices. I know what I talked to the guys at frozen rotors last time, they said that the stock wrx rotors were about $175 each (frozen and slotted) at the single prices. Last time I set up a group buy, we have 4 sets of rotors and the price droped down to around 150 a rotor or so. I will check to see if they can get the sti brembo blanks to get treated for anyone with the sti. The will also freeze, slot, drill, or plate any rotor we bring into them. I am also going to see if I can get some good prices on the h6 upgrade for the wrx people. I have found them on the net for about $225 plust shipping. I talked to Brett at Morries and he can get them for about $260 or so, but I will find out if we can get a better price with a couple of sets purchased. The upgrade kit consistes of 2 h6 rear rotors and the caliper mounting bracket. Basicall it will get you a 12.4 inch rear rotor. Sorry if this seems like I am just rambling, I have had a ton of distractions while writing this.

I am going to double check prices, but from what I remember to get a rotor frozen was like $55 each, and for plating rotors is like $50 each. I think the slotting was about $50 each also. I will give them a call and get some prices and find out what kind of quanties we need for a discount.

Let me know who is interested in what, and we can go from there. Also, it doesn't have to be a Subaru. I am including a couple of other cars in out group but to help get a larger quantity.

Russ

2. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Russ, I'd go with a set of drilled rotor for my car. Let me know when you have the info., Thanks.

3. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Argh my internet sucks! I had a whole long reply typed out and then I posted and it timed out on me.

Anyway...my interest in this is going to vary wildly depending on my tax situation. If I end up owing less than I anticipate, that will make it easier to swing this financially.

So does that $175 include the price of the rotor, the slotting/cross-drilling, AND the freezing? What does that make their price for the rotor...you can get them from subaruparts.com for $57 each. Dunno if that's cheaper.

$250-ish for the H6 upgrade sounds like a good deal.

4. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the H6 rotor swap works on GC8s? I may be interested if so.

As for rotors... not to foul up your group buy or anything but Paul Ecklund sells Brembo slotted rotors ( 11.3" ) for $220 a pair, add $50/pair for freezing and I'm pretty sure he's having them done at Diversified (so maybe save on shipping by getting them there).

5. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, this isn't something that is going to happen in the next month. I am thinking like march/april. I am more doing this to let everyone have a chance to save money and figure out if they want get in the the buy. The $175 per front is for the rotor, freezing, and slotting. From the info that I have recieved from the deversified guys, slotting is going to be the way to go. Drilling is ok, but it will in time lead to stress crack and such (I think I just opened a can of worms). I will do a bit of checkign, but bermbo blanks for $220 is REAL high. The wrx front rotors are 12.5, and the rears are 11.3 or something like that. Deverified uases brembo blanks whenever possible, but I will double check to make sure. The main reason for this first posting id to make sure everyone knows and starts saving.

For instance, just to do up my car with 2 fronts (slotted, frozen, and plated) and 2 rears (slotted, frozen and plated, with the h6 rears) it is going to be about $850-900. Thats is just 4 rotors and rear brackets. Than I am going to need pads, lines (to do it right) and good fluid, so it is definitly going to be over a grand. At that point in time, I know I have good brakes that are going to last me (even through a bunch of track days), and all I will need to replace is pads and fluid.

Garrett, You might need to swap out your rear caliper to make it work. I am assuming that the rotor and bracket will bolt up, not to sure on the caliper working with the rotor. But you are runing wrx front rotors with the sti 4pots.

Russ

6. igofast

igofast New Member

I'll be looking for some slotted front rotors this spring, so I'll be following the thread. But as has been pointed out before, price seems a bit high.

7. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Well, just to do some updates after a couple of phone calls. Here is the the deversified price list.

$45 per rotor for slotting or drilling
    $35 per rotor for nickel plating
    $56 per rotor for the freeze treatment

We as mn subaru get a 20% off discount. Mark is looking up rotor prices for use. He is getting stock prices on stock wrx front and read, the h6 rear and sti front and rear rotor prices. he is also getting me some prices on 600 degree fluid and a handfull of pads. Once he sends me the e-mail, I will post it up for everyone.

Russ

8. yosmiley

yosmiley Subie OG Missin'In Action

Woo Who!!! good prices please, good prices please... cheap deal, cheap deal!!! hey, it's doesn't hurt to wish?

Keep us inform Russ... I'd like to see how the prices turned out compare to some of the vendors out there.

9. RallyNavvie

I got an email response back from Paul Ecklund regarding his prices. He messed up on his site and the $220 quote is for WRX fronts, not 11.3" rotors (I think the WRX rears are even smaller than this). That is a price for a pair of Brembo slotted rotors. It's $270 a pair for the same rotors sent through DC. He also said that if we do a group purchase through him he'd take the price down more and leave the rotors at DC for us to pick up (rather than ship out to him and then back here). If you're talking $175 per rotor that's $350 a pair, right?

I can work with PE on these prices if you'd like to go through him. He said he can do other makes and models as well if you want. Or maybe we can show these numbers to DC and see if they'll give us the same price they're cutting Paul and then we wouldn't have to pay his markup. Just some ideas...

10. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ya, the price WAS 175 per rotor, but that was for the rotor, frozen, and slotted, not just a plain blank. We are also getting 20% off. I am just waiting for my quote to show up.

Russ

11. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, here ya go. This is the rotor quote with some brake pads prices also. It looks like the only thing Mark forgot to include was the synt. 600 degree fluid. I am also working on getting some good prices on the rear h-6 conversion brackets. Any other questions, let me know. Start saving your pennies. I am thinking about finishing this off around end of march or so. Sound good to everyone else?? That is about 2 months. I think Mark might be able to get some other brake pads, or someone else can try getting a group buy on pads rolling.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Here are the prices.

WRX:

Front Frozen, Slotted, and Platted $150.50 ea. (list)
    $123.50 ea. (group)

Rear Frozen, Slotted, and Platted $127.55 ea. (list)
    $104.80 ea. (group)

Front Hawk HPS pads $85.66 (list) $71.39
    (group)

Rear Hawk HPS pads $75.60 (list) $63.20
    (group)

WRX STI:

Front Frozen, Slotted, and Platted $280.50 ea. (list)
    $224.50 ea. (group)

Rear Frozen, Slotted, and Platted $270.50 ea. (list)
    $216.50 ea. (group)

Front Ferodo 2500 pads $196.36 (list) $173.00
    (group)

Rear Ferodo 2500 pads $81.41 (list) $72.90
    (group)

Legacy H-6:

Rear Frozen, Slotted, and Platted $176.30 ea. (list)
    $139.50 ea. (group)

Individual Services:

Cryo-treating $56.00 per rotor (list)
    $46.00 per rotor (group)

Gas Slotting $45.00 per rotor (list)
    $35.00 per rotor (group)

Platting $35.00 per rotor (list)
    $25.00 per rotor (group)

Russ, if you have any questions feel free to call!

Best Regards,

Mark Link

12. igofast

igofast New Member

I hate to be the group dumbass, but what does cryo-treating do and what does platting do?

13. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

Russ,
    You know I'm Definately in! Im going with the works, everything Cryoed, Plated, and Slotted. Upgraded front calipers, H6 rear conversion, braided lines all around, Pads, Fluid, and whatever else to get the breaks converted for the new race season.

Let me know when things get closer, also I will give you a call today or tomorrow on the oil.

Later
    Dave :eek:)

14. RallyNavvie

Can't beat $250 a pair for all that. The WRX rotors are the same ones I'm currently running under my 4-pots?

15. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, here ya go. John, the cryo treating process takes to molecules and aligns them to make the item stronger. Deversified cryoes EVERYTHING. Good examples are gun barrels, clutch plate in cycles, motors (every part if you want), trannies (Mark Utecht ran the stock wrx 5 speed all season on a stock cryo'd gearbox), etc.... The plating will keep the rotors from rusting after they get wet. Garrett, you are running stock wrx rotors in the front under your 4pots. I am not to sure on the rear rotors/calipers.

Russ

16. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Here is my last little update. I talked to Brett (brooklyn park subaru), and he will get us the h6 upgrade caliper brackets for $55 each. So it looks like a complete h6 upgrade is around $390. Online you can fine tham for about $225 or so, but that is just stock rotors. I would assume that this upgrade should work for the gc8, but someone else is going to have to do the leg work to figure out what bolts up. For the people who want to do the h6 upgrade, if you want we can get the brackets now instead of waiting. It will help spread out the cost of doing the upgrade. It takes about 5-6 days to get the brackets in. I know me and Dave are doing the upgrade for sure, and if anyone else is interested let me know. I was thinking about picking the brackets up and a couple of weeks.

Also, it someone wants to see about doing a group buy on stainless lines and possibaly some other pads, feel free to update this thread.

Russ

17. igofast

igofast New Member

Thanks for the info Russ. Count me in for a set of fronts: cyro'ed, platted, and slotted.

18. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

19. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

One last tidbit. I got the price on fluid. It is the Superblue fluid, 600 degree boilpoint for $14 a bottle. Also, if any of the STI folks are interested in getting some rotors/pads, there is a 2 week lead time on getting the sti rotors. When I talked to Mark he said that the stock subaru sti rotors are like $400 a piece.
    I am thining about getting some of the backing plates for the rears going by mid/end Feb or so, and start in one the rotors by the end of march. If this works out for everyone let me know.

Russ

20. RallyNavvie

Rotors in March will work for me. Although if we don't get the dyno until then I may have to spend my money on that and forego the brakes. First things first...

21. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Bump...definitely in for the H6 upgrade at least.

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Keep me posted on who wants in for the rear upgrade. I think I will try to oder the rear brackets the week before karting, so I will have them at the karting event (if it happens). I figure the rear brackets are about $120 with tax ($55 a bracket plus tax). I know that Dave and myself are doing the upgrade for sure, and Joel sounds like he is also doing it. If you are not sure about the upgrade, do a search on nasioc, I don't think I ever read 1 complaint about doing the upgrade. Any other questions, let me know.

Russ

23. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Bump to the top just for a reminder. I think the last week or so of march I will do the brake rotor ordering. Anyone with the STI, will have to let me know before hand if you want to pick up you rotors when the rest of them are finished. The sti rotors are about a 2 week turn around time (the rotors need to be special ordered). Lets get a list of who wants what so I can give Mark a update on how many set of what rotors we need.

Russ

24. igofast

igofast New Member

How do you want to handle money. Paypal, or in person, or mail or what?

25. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

For the rotors, I am not to sure yet. I guess it depends on how many people are getting rotors and such. As for the h6 caliper brackets, I can cover a couple of sets, and we can just meet up to get the money and such. I think that we might have a meet or something before I put in the final order for the rotors so I can collect money. I am not to sure yet. I don't really plan on doing to much with the rotors till the end of march, I just want to get the caliper brackets out of the way now. I guess everyone should figure out what they want, and save. Post up what you want so I can get a list going of what we need and we can go from there.

Russ

26. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, well we are getting close to starting this buy, but what does everyone want, and when do you want it. Sorry, I can't give you evrything right now. The sti folks, there is at least a 2 week wait to specail order the rotors, and for everyone else turn around time should only be about a week. Mark Link is karting with us this Sat, so whoever is going karting can ask him some questions directly. I was thinking of placing the order the last week of march and picking things up around the first week of april. Sound good?? That gives everyone a little over a month to get money set aside. I will talk to Mark to find out how he want to handle the money (partial payment, full prepay, pay at pickup). Lets start getting a list of what everyone wants so I can give Mark a better idea how much he need to get in (for lead times and such).

Russ

27. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

Russ I'll Give you a call this week

Dave:cool:

28. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Ok, here is the latest scoop from Mark. For the people who whant the plating on the rotors, looks like the lead time is about 2 weeks. Payment is up to you, if you want to give the money to me, or pay them directly it doesn't matter. We can purchase the rotors when they are ready, we don't need anything upfront. I think we will get the order placed sometime within the last week of march. Please post what you want, and how you would like to pay for it and we will get this thing going.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.