Bringing it back to the dealership...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Steve-o, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-o

Steve-o Administrator Staff Member

Well before I go back to school I want to get that cruise control recall done and possibly have them look at my clutch shudder. The car doesn't have any cats anymore so should I take the plates off and pretend that the trailer is parked around the corner or just play it off like "Some guys on a message board said that this would make my car faster..."?

btw it will be the WB dealership.

Steve:)

2. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I got my Cruise control recalled at Brooklyn Park Morries Subaru, they did not say anything about my mods.

3. T-WRX

T-WRX Well-Known Member

Why would you care what they think about mods? Are you worried they won't service your car?
    Recalls are done no matter what your warranty status is. Also Warranty isn't voided unless it can be proven that an issue on your car was a direct result of your mods.
    :)If anything, they may find your mods interesting.

Ryan

4. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

whats a clutch shudder?

steve-o, good luck at WB. I've heard bad things bout them. I've had bad experiences with them myslef and they were an ass. Morries seems like the best pick for dealers.

5. Steve-o

I'm more concerned with the clutch shudder. I've had it in there with my turboback w/high-flow cat and they didnt say anything.

Clutch shudder is when the whole **** car shakes when you are letting the clutch out. It only happens when its cold and for the first couple times. It goes away after a couple stop signs. There is a TSB on it... apparently the whole clutch gets replaced. It's just really annoying.

Steve

6. Grimm

Grimm New Member

I think his point about the no cats is that it is technicaly illegal to have a catless car. well in at least many states.

7. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

I took my car into the dealership in Springfield, IL for the cruise control recall...the fix is so fast they wouldn't have even had time to look to see that I'm catless.

8. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Hey I went to the dealership for my 30,000 mile and when I got the car back they were b!tching cuz I had some minor "mods." This is directly off the receipt.

"COMMENTS...................................................
    DURING SERVICE WORK IT WAS NOTED THAT ENGINE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM HAS BEEN REINSTALLED IN VEHICLE. BOLTS AND BRACKETS LEFT LOOSE.
    ALSO NOTICED FEED WIRE SPLICED INTO ECM WIRING HARNESS.
    THIS SUGGESTS THAT SOME AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE THAT COULD CAUSE FUTURE DIFFICULTYS WITH WARRANTY COVERAGE."

Ok, so I had my intake silencer off, big deal! I had a wire off my old air/fuel gauge left on *oops*, took that off, ok, maybe difficulties w/ warranty.

Here's the next part.

"RECOMMENDATIONS.............................................
    NOTICED BOOST CONTROL SOLONOID BRACKET LAYING IN ENGINE COMPARTMENT NOT BOLTED UP. VACUUM LINES LOOSE. WASTEGATE RESTRICTION ORIFICE MISSING. WAS INSPECTED BY SUBARU DISCTRICT SERVICE REP. MUST BE RETURNED TO ORIGINAL FACTORY EQUIPMENT OR ALL FACTORY WARRANTY WILL NOT BE COVERED."

K, boost controller solonoid bolts rattled off (maybe I should have tightened them more.) Vacuum lines loose? ARE YOU NUTS I just installed it in place of my turbo xs boost controller (hehe.) I was with Chong and I forgot the name of his buddy at RallyFest and his buddy (sorry to reffer to u like this) checked my setup for the wastegate restriction orifice, it's there so that's bullsh!t. Must be returned to factory equipment or all factory warranty will not be covered? THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT! I have an extended warranty on this thing!

What do you guys think about my situation??

9. Musashi

Tom,

Which dealer did u go to? Thats F'ed UP! :(! They service desk at Morries told me what I first bought my car after I had to make a few copies of my key's said that they make the keys for free as long as I come there for all my Warrenty Services. I say sure. Now you make me wanna check out my recipts. :D

I'd try to put the car back to stock as much as possible when the car needs Warrenty attention. But thats a matter of choice. In some case's its better to just spend the money and do it yourself.

C

My friends name is Jeremy.

10. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Doing mods after buying an extended warranty is silly. Everyone knows they are pricks about mods and warranty coverage, why make it harder on yourself?

If you break something with mods and go back to stock to try and get it fixed under warranty, don't let me hear about it. That pisses me off like nothing else. All the honest people get screwed by you cheaters. :(!

11. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

I totaly agree with Joel. He has a very strong point. Don't abuse/mess with your cars and blame it on Subaru. A car is mechanical and it will break if mistreated. ...but if we hear of the same thing happening with Joel, he'll get an earfull. :p

12. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Have you seen how modified my car is? My warranty disappeared when I passed 36,000 miles last week, but if I had ever had the gall to bring it in expecting warranty work, I would have been laughed out of the building. You gotta suck it up and be prepared to deal with the consequences of the choices you make.

13. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

Well, the warranty kinda says that only if they prove the mods had something to do with the car breaking. But they want to cut my warranty even before my car breaks wtf? The rest of my car should be still under warranty besides what it breaks.

14. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

You may be technically right, but what's to stop a dealership from being tough about it? I am starting to think this "they have to prove it" to be some misguided conventional wisdom. Obviously places can and do deny warranty coverage all the time, thereby putting the onus on the customer to either deal with it or mount some sort of costly legal challenge.

In the end, what I always tell people is that the way to maximize your likelihood of getting warranty work done is to have ZERO mods. Once you have them it seems like they try harder to concoct reasons why they shouldn't have to do the work under warranty terms...and knowing that there are people who go back to stock (cheat) out there, I don't really blame them.

15. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

pay to play.
    that said.
    i try to be be upfront and honest.

i think we are lucky with morries bp, and bloomington subaru being pretty mild tempered when it comes to mods.

knock on wook.

16. Steve-o

what the hell happened to this thread??

I just want my **** clutch shudder fixed. I didn't break my tranny or blow my engine up because of too much boost, just the gay clutch shudder. If they dont do it.. then they dont; oh well....

Steve

17. T-WRX

T-WRX Well-Known Member

How about this:
    If they (WB) won't do it, go to Morrie's in Brooklyn Park.
    I won't admit on how much time I've spent there and chatted but the guys there are very cool.

The trend seems to be that they have a better rep then the rest.

18. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

19. rmrf

rmrf Well-Known Member

I would discourage from going to BP Subaru, just from my personal experience, but to each there own. I just had the cruise control recall and the clutch judder fixed at Bloomington Subaru without a hitch. I would recommend leaving the car overnight so it has time to cool off, and schedule far enough ahead to get a loaner car (normally about a week), but once they find the problem, they are prompt at getting it fixed.

good luck.

20. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was a recalled for subaru. Is it for all subaru model and any years or is it for the WRX model only?

GOT RICE SPEED!!!

21. Musashi

The recall we're talking about is for WRX

22. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

your screwed! ;)

Russ

23. android

android Guest

I also suffer from the cold start problem. It is my understanding that they just install a heavier flywheel and new clutch plate. I find that kind of contradictory to upgrading your clutch and flywheel to a lighter one. Wouldn't the problem persist?

24. BlackDubRX

BlackDubRX New Member

they dont upgrade they downgrade...

25. Scooby02

Scooby02 Well-Known Member

I wonder if I have any warrenty on my car left?? Joel you help me out here??? ;)

Yeah if you plan to mod a car the warrenty is as good as gone especially if you start adding a lot. But if you havent really done much you could still possibly return it to stock pretty easily if you have any major problems. Its just a hassel!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.