Building a new Rally car in Elk River, MN

Discussion in 'The Welcome Mat' started by Rally Steve, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Rally Steve

Rally Steve Member

First let me introduce myself. I am a 3 time national Rally Champion 97, 98 and 04. The last Championship was in an 02 WRX with too many upgrades to discuss right now, that I built. I have been working as a Rally America official for the last several years, but not anymore. Last year I ran a rally with my 21 year old daughter and now she is hooked and wants to do more races. So I am now building a new rally car. It's a 94 Impreza 1.8L FWD. Stop laughing - It is a rust free AZ car that is in the process of being completely gutted. Amazingly all the bolts come apart without heat or WD-40. It will then get a roll cage and painted. Once back it will be converted to a 2.5RS AWD.

So much for the introduction - The big question right now is does anyone want the motor or trans. I was told it runs and drives. Although I never saw it. If no one wants it I am open to suggests as to where to take it. Is it worth anything as scrape?

I am looking forward to being more active on the forum and discussing how I am planning on building the car and why I am doing things a certain way.

Thanks for the add,

Rally Steve

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Welcome Rally Steve! Looking forward to the build!

-Josh

3. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

The chassis I built my rally car from was a TX car, and I was floored at how easy it was to work on a 20 year old car that hadn't lived in MN. The 350z I traded it for is an AZ car, and other than having more dust in it than the rally car did, the story is the same. Every nut, bolt and screw simply comes out. No drama, no penetrating oil, no torch, no shearing. It's enough to make a guy wonder why we put up with this state.

Glad to see you getting back into a car Steve, any plans for the debut event?

And I think I still have a tow hitch of yours that K&E left on my truck when they used it to run 100AW years ago...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I know this is a niche use case, and maybe only a few of us are dumb/crazy enough to consider it for anything.

But the EJ series engine with FWD trans makes an excellent mid-engine setup if that's what you're going for. I had a project wagon that never went anywhere a decade ago, the goal was to mount the EJ+FWD trans in the backseat area of the wagon, and attach the FWD axle shafts to the rear wheels of the wagon, thus making a mid-engine Impreza wagon. You can ask Mike Wray, it'll definitely fit.

5. tangledupinblu

Wish that project would have come to fruition. Kind of always wanted to see the Fairlady completed too tho.:)

6. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Josh Peterson has the Fairlady, and has been making progress on it. Though it has slowed recently with the birth of their child. But just like when I had it, the progress has been very slow. I want to say he was done with the body work, but I don't know if it was painted yet.

phi11 and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. tangledupinblu

Well @AspitFire needs to get some pics and a build thread up then! Babies sleep...eventually

02subbieRS likes this.
  8. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

Sometimes they even go to college or join the army and you get to spend the college fund!