Burning smell passenger side brakes, new brakes

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Mike, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Just installed my stoptech brake upgrades this weekend, rotors, pads and lines and i noticed that the passenger side front brake has a distinct smell coming from it. It was smoking for the first 25 miles or so then now it just smells. i'm really hoping its just the film but the rotor looks almost burnt in comparison to the other 3 new rotors...the car does not pull one way or another on either hard or normal braking. doesn't pull while driving. please don't tell me i need a new caliper...we did have trouble on that side getting it to compress with the brake lines off...

2. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

First thing I'd do is remove and re-grease the slide pins. I had a similar issue with new pad install and what I suggested above solved the problem.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

i could try that. i mean last night when i was driving around it was smoking alot. but now it just smells. can only really smell it if i go out and smell for it. isn't lofting in like it was lastnight

4. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

Drive around for a while and compare the residual heat radiating from the rotor in question. If its noticeably hotter you still have an issue.

5. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

1. Regrease the slide pin for sure.

They shouldn't be smoking at all. Did you bed your brakes?

2. If it is the calipers I believe a rebuild kit is $25 - $35 and it pretty easy to do. I did both of my fronts this spring.

6. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

right well i drove it around with hard and soft braking and it stopped smelling, also its no warmer then the driver side. so it might have just had the residue still on it from the factory. otherwise ofspunk...you guys should have a rebuild kit for my lying around the shop somewhere :p