Buying a "car-in-white" still a thing?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by euro, Jan 8, 2021.

1. euro

euro Well-Known Member

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I don't believe so, not from Subaru anyway. When I worked at a Subaru dealer, we had a customer ask about that and we did some digging and came up empty handed. Rally cars have to have a VIN, so a good portion of their potential market would need a largely complete car.

euro likes this.
  3. euro

euro Well-Known Member

It's a shame no one makes a stripped out rwd or awd sportscar for under $20k. Hell even if the 4 cyl supra gr came in a stripped out version i would be down. Probably too niche or too low of margins for that i'm guessing

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  4. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, it's been a long time since there was a market for cars without options. Even "work trucks" are a far cry from the old C1500 W/T of the '90s.

Krazylegz1485 and euro like this.
  5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The correct term is "body in white" and its usually just the chassis.
    After 2 seconds googling I found this from 2009 so it at least was a thing you could buy from GM Performance Parts.

https://www.gmignitionupdate.com/me...us/en/2009/Dec/1210_GMPP_PRI/GMPP_Camaro.html

I have seen some race cars for sale on Bring A Trailer that started out as a body in white. One I remember was an IS350 that was fully seam welded and turned into a race car with wide body and fully custom suspension and whatnot and I don't think it had a VIN.