Buying either a 2011 Subaru STI or EVO MR?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Musashi, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Lifecycling can be sometimes fun yet chump change is hard to come by. I've decided it's time to replace my old Subaru Forester. Looking for something that is a lot of fun, reliable (MN weather, track, DD, family, comfortable for long distance driving, attractive, best bang and little to no additional mods to keep it interesting. Share your experiences and not what you've found on the IE or youtuby ;)

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

They wont be making the evo after next year I hear, so I dont know if that changes anything. I would wait to see what/if they change anything on either car for 2012 first.

3. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

People are already taking deliveries on the 2012 WRX's and STI's. I think the only differences are all chrome headlights and some ugly new wheels on the STI.

Musashi likes this.
  4. Musashi

Yeah, that last hoorah has gotten the Mitsubishi dealerships and private sales to seriously jack up their prices as if they've got a bunch of interested parties with $40k waiting in line ready to spend on a gas guzzler. In addition to that there's this new movie called "Haywire" that's suppose to feature this kick a$$ female version of -Jason Borne- driving the Evo X. I doubt the same Tokyo Drift wagon will have the same effect twice. lol

The new info I've gathered so far on the new Evo XI release is a hybrid combination of Electric and Diesel which I'm in favor of, but it is expected to lose it's laser like sharp precision and rally inspirited style of driving. Mitsubishi is steering away from it's current market and heading into a new more Eco friendly one.

I'd love to wait, but unfortunately time is not on my side on this one. My Forester engine went bye bye three weeks ago and fortunately I have friends who's willing to lend me one of their cars in the meantime. The rebuild will probably be next spring if that. -Thanks for the thought.

5. Musashi

Yes, I think everyone can use more chrome in their diet. lol

ofspunk7 likes this.
  6. Musashi

This may come as a surprise to some of the brothers here considering what little you know about me, despite my involvement in motorsports and test driving cars around the track, that info doesn't always translate well to daily driving and day to day situations an owner may encounter. It's almost like going out on a date with a pretty lady, you only have a very small window of what she's really like. If I'm going to make this a long term relationship I'll want to know how she can handle the good as well as the tough situations prior to my commitment. The sales rep actually thanked me for driving the car so nicely and not beating up on it. :2funny:

The 2011 for both models has been the fastest and has performed the best over all it's predecessors even with the added weight. I've been around both cars for many years, the Evo is the only one I haven't owned.

The STI will offer more as far as cargo space, looser handling, a more relaxed drive and a great experience for an intermediate driver. The longer gears really helped the 2.5 engine's power, with less shifting and holding the power longer you can keep both hands where you need it most. Although I was able to experience the new much needed improvements I still feel it's way behind the EVO as far as overall performance and giving the driver more control of the vehicle. The understeer is still very much present no matter what they may claim. And the seat's don't offer enough boaster support unless you're a hmoob meeka.

I've test driven both the EVO X GSR and MR. Both suspension feel very similar during my little testing even though they're wearing two different struts and springs on board. The throttle lift works really nice on this car, drives more like a RWD which is a huge plus for me. From my research the STI was able to stop a few feet shorter then the MR, but like with all my cars I plan to bed them, that should help gain another 15-20%. The brake paddle feel on the EVO X is so much easier to modulate and dial in exactly the precise pressure. The two piece rotor on the MR is a huge plus, this will help cool the brakes and extend the front wheel bearings. I liked how the STI shifter feels over the GSR, but I'm not looking to get another MT. Yes that's right and I'll explain later. There's a few things I've always liked about the EVO's and the seat's is one of them, by far one of the best supporting seats on the market, even better then the $107k Tesla. The quick steering rack is going to catch a lot of drivers with poor visual technique, double correcting their steering inputs.

I think the EVO X MR is the best choice for me at this particular time in my life. I have great foot work but I'm tired of driving a MT for day to day routines. The SI mode on the STI is pathetic, utterly useless, I can do that with my foot. What I really like about the EVO is it gives the experienced drivers a lot more options to continue enjoying and improving their driving experience. I believe Motortrend did an article on the three and even though the MR was the heaviest it was about 2 seconds faster then the much lighter and stronger STI. A lot of that had to do with the SST AT. I'm a Left Foot Braker and will utilize it when ever possible, so it only makes sense for me to get this model. You have three different modes for shifting (Normal, Sport and Super-Sport) either in AT or Manual w/Paddle shifts. There is a 2 lb wheel weight difference between the MR (18.5lbs) and the GSR reducing rotating mass.

So far the only thing I didn't like about the EVO X is the bottom seat pad are right up against the bottom of knee's, I'm seated comfortably as my back is up against the back of the seat, but my only concern is I hope my legs don't fall a sleep during extended drives.

7. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

That's good. Prove me right that Evo's are superior to Subadoodoo

Musashi likes this.
  8. Musashi

Are you encouraging me mister :facepalm:

9. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Heckz yeaaaaaah

10. Musashi

I can see the hate mail pouring in :coffee: to you that is :frantic:

11. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

HMMMMMMMM. interesting.

12. Musashi

What is, the Hate mail towards Nuke or that an AT might just be in fact faster then a MT lol

13. 4drcivicmaster

4drcivicmaster Well-Known Member

the fact that you want an EVO....trying to be like me or what!?:p

Musashi likes this.
  14. Musashi

Dude, that's exactly it I want to be like every clown on the internet, especially since we've first met. :angel:

Nah, but seriously I've been on the EVO wagon for a long time, just didn't have the need or desire to act sooner. Besides every few years I switch platforms to keep life young and entertaining. I didn't expect to move from the STI to a 240sx then to an Evo this quickly.

The only thing unique about this purchase is it will stay stock w/an enhance stock tune, keeping it reliable. This car out of the box may lack power when compared to other modified vehicles on the street but I'll guarantee you she has a lot more agility then what most people have currently invested in their cars.

15. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to just those two cars? There are a bunch of cars in that price range that can be had either new or slightly used that will compete with either of the cars listed in every day life. BMW 335d, Cadillac CTS-V, AMG E55, BMW M3/M5, BMW 335i (or xi), Pontiac G8 GXP (or GT) all come to mind right off the top of my head that are available in 4 door bodies and can be had in that price range. Throw a set of snow tires on any of them and you'd have a pretty capable winter rig.

16. Musashi

The Euro and Bimmer thingy I'm not a huge fan of. I'm around them all the time I can see how they really perform and can exceed their limitations quite quickly. The up keep on these cars are some of the reasons why I'm shying away from ever owning one. The Cadi and G8 are very heavy requiring longer braking distance and consuming more brakes and tires. From my experience there's certain cars I wouldn't attempt to do some of the things I'm capable of because it'll be very expense to maintain and the car will fight you the whole way. These car's just doesn't offer the natural feel that the EVO does that yarns to be driven, like a drivers car but still be practical for DD.

I probably should've elaborated more on my intentions. You know what I do at my other office and I have access to the track and many cars. So why do I need such a car and why not just get a eco friendly car, well I already own a Prius. Well that's a very good question, I'm not in the same position I was 5 yrs ago when most of my friends and other drivers didn't have fast cars. Now day's you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a moderately/heavily modified vehicle. So I no longer need to invest the same amount I used to back then. Now day's people offer me their cars to test to get my feedback. It's great but it's a huge responsibility which I take very very seriously.

On top of that I still have my 240sx for full track use and the NF Crew's cars which I'm constantly working with to develop. I could have things backwards but it just seems to make sense that when the boss of your company tells you, you should get the car you really want, well I guess I better act quickly.

But honestly from a more practical standpoint I get to do some national events around the country and having a really nice car out of the box that will keep challenging me and still be reliable would make it a whole lot more fun, I can get it serviced anywhere. Like for example my recent trip to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham, AL. With this car all I have to do is show up and drive. Thanks Brian!

I don't want to come across as cocky or arrogant but those are the facts in my situation.

17. Musashi

18. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!

19. olegrad

olegrad Well-Known Member

Post up pics!! The cat is out of the bag. Better yet, drive it to my place!

20. Infamous NF Crew

Infamous NF Crew BANNED

congrats on the MR :) ooouu did i say too much?... :frantic:

21. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

So I got up this morning to an EVO X in my driveway. Yay!
    Got to drive it around for a bit. The car is still new and I didn't feel comfortable in any way to push it.
    The SST did it's job pretty damn well. Chong had showed me the difference between all three and it was a huge difference.
    Sport mode (or whatever it's called) kept the car in it's powerband.

The brakes felt really f-ing great vs subaru's brembos. Only way for you guys to know is to test it out yourself lol

Steering...Evo > Your mom's sti

Power, hm...being a 2.0, it doesn't feel like a 2.0
    It's pretty torquey...lol Mitsubishi is onto something

I don't know what else to say except that if you were to pay 34k+, bang for buck, Evo

Hate me or not, truth hurts ;)

ofspunk7 likes this.
  22. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I want a Ride

23. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Forget that, go trade your ride for one ;)
    Haha jk

I forgot to note, the dbw on this car felt really responsive. Feels almost like a dbc if you ask me.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  24. ofspunk7

Yeah the wife's new ride keeps me from buying a new car. I guess I'll just have to make mine faster.... or stop by your house after work and jack Chong's new toy. Either way is win/win

25. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if I would like the paddle shifters.

26. ofspunk7

I 100% agree. I have tried them before and they seem so weird. It just wasn't the same as shifting... reminded me of Auto-Manual sticks in some AT cars. I know that you would get used to them and they have their benefits... but i like the old school MT

BroCo likes this.
  27. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I guess...
    Doesn't hurt to always watch tail lights...

28. olegrad

olegrad Well-Known Member

Musashi, me next? I want to try paddle shifting too!

Musashi likes this.
  29. ofspunk7

I never said it was faster. Just a preference for driving.

30. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

U know i'm just messing with you =P

Bro love

ofspunk7 likes this.
  31. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Congrats! Jealous.

Too bad they're so spendy. Let me know when you can get a new Evo for $25k. :)

32. Musashi

I'll have my Zombie's standing by in full automatic air soft assault machine guns showing your butt with plastic BB's lol :alien:

33. Musashi

Ben that might be just a few years from now with the EVO XI hybrid lol

Oh I think you could've with what you've already invest in your WRX. It all comes down to priorities.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  34. Musashi

You know how to find me. :cool:

35. Musashi

From my understanding the SST is very much like a regular MT by design, but with dual clutch minus the third foot paddle, I'll have to find that resource I read about it. The paddles are great for when you're trying to lose some weight like me and need to keep one hand on the Big Mac & fries and the other on the wheel. Besides how else do you plan on getting those finger a workout, can't expect to be scratching your butt all day in public ya know.

But seriously some say the EVO X MR is the mini version of the GTR so that's something we've yet to find out this summer. I just finished undercoating the car last night, got the IKEA mud guards installed tonight, getting winter tires mounted tomorrow and 3M wrap and windows tinted on Thursday. Sorry guys no Christmas gifts this year. :p

I'll try and remember to take some pictures tomorrow, the problem I'm having is JLO is still having a hard time accepting the fact that I'm no longer interested in her Fiat 500.

36. Musashi

Over the years I've been fortunate to drive many cars and the STI and EVO are two of my favorites. You can asking everything of them and they'll gladly give it. Lifestyle is one of the main reasons why people choose to buy what they do. I would not have any hesitation about taking either one of these to a track day or on a road trip.

Just got done installing the temporary winter mud guards. (IKEA $2.99 special)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69860405@N07/6349828821/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69860405@N07/6350623974/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69860405@N07/6349876951/in/photostream/lightbox/

37. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

Congrats!!!

1) Where is the huge wing? or what version gets the huge wing and side skirts (I've seen one at CC with all those features)

2) I would like to get some undercoating done to my car...is it something you that you can hook me up with?

38. Musashi

Thanks, where have you been pal, I've been wondering what you've been up to! I think the 240sx has that dept covered twice over. All MR comes with a trunk trip lip. They all come with side skirts and rear diffusers.

PM me regarding the undercoating.

39. ofspunk7

Looks very nice Chong. Sorry I forgot to try and steal your car last night... maybe this weekend I will find time to add an EVO to my collection .... LOL

Can't wait to take a ride in it (@ BIR or DCTC)

40. Musashi

Mitsubishi has incorporated a new security design similar to the breathalizer. If the car senses EVIL she won't start up. Oh and the passenger door won't open either for Evil would be passengers lol

ofspunk7 likes this.
  41. ofspunk7

Are you calling me "The White Devil" :D

42. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ofspunk7 likes this.
  43. ofspunk7

It's not me... Chong just doesn't like White People. :eek:

44. Musashi

I like Meeka people long time! :cool:

45. Musashi

Well if the Devil drives around in a Subaru wagon w/yellow wheels then yes. :devil:

ofspunk7 likes this.