can't get wheel off

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by jk78, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jk78

jk78 New Member

I was trying to change out my wife's winter tires with the all seasons but I can't. I took off all the lugnuts but the wheel is still stuck to the hub. Do you think that the wheel-hub interface is seized up because of salt and winter stuff? What do you think I should do? I just moved here from NJ and am beginning to think that the MN winters have a whole new bunch of effects...

2. cowboybebop

cowboybebop New Member

hI GET A SLEDGE HAMMER OR BASEBALL BAT PUT ONE LUG NUT BACK ON AND HIT THE TIRE A COUPLE OF TIMES. THIS SHOULD JAR IT LOOSE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE RIM. i'VE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE.

3. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Karate Kick it :D! Works for me, It won't hurt the wheel but it sometimes will hurt you :roll:

4. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Yang has urges to karate kick anything that doesn't move. :p

Make sure the wheel is off the ground and wobble/pound the wheel off. The MN winters here has never caused my wheels to tighten onto the wheel hub. :???:

5. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

You know it Fong :D. If you're in my way, you better watch out:eek:)

6. jk78

jk78 New Member

Thanks for the tips. Come to think of it, this has happened to me once before and my dad just knocked it off with a lead pipe. ha! I'm just afraid of knocking the car off the jack :p

7. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

If your going to use something to hit it, just make sure you dont hit the RIM, just the tire. What I had to do was loosen the nuts enough to where the rim could come off the hub, and just lower the car, use the weight of the car to pop it off, and if the dont work than drive it around the block around some turns, nothing too fast, just enough to pull that stuck wheel off the hub.

Hope that helps.

Chong

8. jk78

jk78 New Member

phew... got them all off and the all-seasons back on. I eventually got some WD40 too and sprayed the crap out of it. BTW, they were all steelies. Maybe I over-torqued them or something happened when the car got shipped up here. who knows. :???:

I also gave it a couple karate kicks for good measure!

-Jon

9. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

spend the $4 and get a jar of antieze (sp?)

my bbs have notches, but the winter rims were flat inbetween the lug holes...

glob a little on, but don't get any on the studs, it borks up your torque setting.

10. Jakezor

Jakezor Guest

Discopope do you mean "anti sieze"?

11. DISCOPOPE

DISCOPOPE Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jakezor

Discopope do you mean "anti sieze"?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yeah, i have a speech impediment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.