Car Control Clinic - Apr 9th at DCTC

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Musashi, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

http://northstarbmw.org/drivingschools.aspx

I will be there on April 9-10 at DCTC.

Car Control Clinic - Apr 9th @ DCTC. Registration opening in January 2005.

• Teen Driving Schools
    • Car Control Clinics
    • Winter Driving Schools
    • Advanced Car Control Clinics
    • Advanced Driving Schools

Upcoming Driving-Related Events:
    Car Control Clinic April 9
    Advanced Car Control Clinic April 10
    Tech Inspection for BIR April 14
    Women's Driver Traing @ BIR May 13
    Advanced Driving School @ BIR May 14-15
    Advanced Car Control Clinic July 31
    Pre-Winter Driving School Dec 1

BMW CAR CLUB OF AMERICA, INC.

DRIVERS SCHOOL STANDARDS
    http://northstarbmw.org/drivingschools.aspx?ns=Standards

Winter Driving Schools - These are (relatively) low speed events designed to teach braking, cornering and general car handling in a safe environment. We set up slalom exercises, braking and lane change exercises, a wet skid pad, and cornering exercises.

These clinics are great for:

New drivers (must have a valid license or drivers permit - under 18 must have a signed parental consent)
    New car - get used to that new car (or tires or suspension) in a safe environment
    Refresher - every other year wouldn't hurt any driver; we forget the basics, we get sloppy. This is a tune up!
    Preparatory - we recommend one of these courses before going to one of our Performance Driving Schools for the first time.

Overview:

Are you interested in learning more about how your car reacts at the limits, or how you would react in an emergency situation? Have you thought about attending our driving school at Brainerd, but are still a little intimidated by the higher speeds? Would you like to help your significant other become a better, more confident driver? Well, now is your chance! Imagine knowing what to do when your car begins to slide, or being in control during that panic stop. Car control skills are learned skills that can only be improved with practice and seat time, and this will be a chance to experience plenty of seat time in a safe, controlled environment.

Our Clinics are open to all club members and their family members wanting to learn more about enhancing driver skills and understanding the capabilities of their cars. Our goal is to prepare you with a fundamental foundation of skills from which you can further develop your driving abilities. Each participant receives personalized instruction provided by experienced club Instructors. All participants must register in advance. Registration can be performed through our website. Two driver cars are allowed.

If you have further questions after reading this information, please contact Sheldon Nelson by email at [email protected] or phone at 763.542.1485

Program Synopsis:

The day long event will consist of both classroom instruction and driving exercises. Each exercise is prefaced with a short talk about concepts specific to the respective exercise. The drills include a skid pad, a slalom course, and a braking and accident avoidance simulation. In these exercises you will learn the proper use of the steering wheel, brakes, and throttle as elements of car control. We want all students to increase their awareness for what their car is doing under a variety of circumstances, and why. These exercises are intended to better prepare you for situations that may be encountered when at speed on the track, as well as everyday driving. Towards the end of the day we will incorporate these elements into a short road course to help you demonstrate your newly acquired skills.

Our objective is to improve your awareness to vehicle dynamics, provide you with fundamental driving skills, and produce safe and controlled drivers. Safety and being in control is our top priority at this and all Club driving events.

School Procedures:

Registration: Registration must be made in advance. Register by filling out and submitting an on-line application. Each driver must register separately. Payment should preferably be made via PayPal, alternately we will accept a check mailed in. Mailed in applicants will be confirmed via e-mail (if supplied).

Schedule: Please plan to arrive at the site by 8:30am at the latest. The main gates to the facility will open at 8:00. We start promptly at 9:00, with the school usually ending around 4:30p.m. The school will be conducted rain, snow, sleet, mush, sunlight, clouds, ice, etc... so be prepared accordingly. We will have a lunch break of not more than one hour. Lunch will be catered.

Vehicles and Technical Inspections: All vehicles in good mechanical working condition will be allowed at this event. Convertibles will also be allowed to participate. All cars must have operating seatbelts or harnesses. If there is a question about the appropriateness of your vehicle, please contact Sheldon Nelson at 763.542.1485.

In the interest of safety for all the participants, technical inspections will be performed on all cars by your instructor with you prior to the start of the school. Things that will be looked at will include tire condition and pressure, functional brakes, leaking fluids, secure battery, and loose items in the car. Please ensure that all loose items are removed from the car AND trunk before the school (including floor mats). Anything loose in the car has the potential to become a projectile!

Helmets: Helmets are NOT required to participate in this school.

Preparation: Rolls & juice will be on hand, but recommend a complete breakfast before arriving (my Mom would be proud). It will be very important that you stay hydrated: recommend water & sports drinks, and avoiding caffeine. You will have to empty your car of all loose items - bring a tarp and/or container to protect your stuff from the elements. Recommend jeans, long-sleeve shirt, sunscreen, etc. (common sense stuff). Make sure you have a full tank of gas and that your tire pressures are on the high side of what's recommended on the door pillar.

Please consider:

• You should read and understand the above article BEFORE registering.
    • Both students for 2-Driver cars (one car shared by two students) must submit separate applications - we ask for the "name of driver sharing the car" only to ensure both students are not in the same run group!

We would like to formally thank the Golden Gate Chapter for their assistance in this article and with curriculum development, especially Gary Shannon, Lily Koessel, and Aaron Wallace.

Register Online

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any interest in any or all of these schools, contact coordinators listed below. And if you would like to volunteer - bless you! - and contact the appropriate person listed below.

All of our schools require a valid driver's license. Drivers under the age of eighteen require a signed parental consent form.

We don't have one Driving Events Coordinator; we have multiple people responsible for these schools.
    Driving Event Coordinators:

• Teen Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Winter Driving - [email protected]
    • Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Advanced Car Control Clinics - [email protected]
    • Advanced Driving Schools- [email protected]

[​IMG]

2. morganm

morganm New Member

Hey this is pretty neat. Is there any cost associated to attending one of the classes?

I could prolly benifit from the "winter driving" one seeing how I slid off the road today in Eagan :p That or maybe I should finally replace those bald front tires on my KIA ;)

Thanks for posting this info !_!

3. Xcelor8

Xcelor8 Well-Known Member

From the site.....

Teen Winter Driving School Feb 12, 2005 $60 ---
    Winter Driving School Feb 13, 2005 $100 ---
    Car Control Clinic April 9, 2005 $50 ---
    Advanced Car Control Clinic April 10, 2005 $100 ---
    Instructor Development @ BIR May 13, 2005 TBD ---
    Women's Driver Training @ BIR May 13, 2005 $125 ---
    Advanced Driving School @ BIR May 14-15, 2005 $300* ---
    Advanced Car Control Clinic July 31, 2005 $100 ---
    Pre-Winter Driving School Dec 1,2005 $50 ---
    * Limited Early Bird Fee, standard registration fee is $330.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

lmao KIA:D

5. Musashi

BMW club does a very good job at their classes, I was very impressed how well my wife did after attending their summer womens advance car control clinic. I would encourage anyone interested to go, we are registering as well. ;)

6. AWD 101

AWD 101 Well-Known Member

awesome, thanks Mushashi. This is now on my 'things to do' list for February.
    Question - 2-driver cars I assume pay once per driver? (i.e. $200 for the day?)

7. Musashi

Thats Correct, for this event its $100 for each driver. I'll see ya out there! :D

8. Musashi

The event was great, dispite not having any snow to train on. My wife and my sister both learned a great deal from this clinic. I was nice to meet Kedrick and his brother AWD101 at DCTC. My wife said they BMW club used the M3 Race at Nurburing to illistrate just how fast a smooth driver can be.

I am looking forward to the next event on April 10, for Advance training.

This video is awsome, he must be clocking the course is record time.
    http://gvk.altrezia.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv

9. AWD 101

This event [edit: Feb. 13th Winter Driving School] was awesome! Thanks Mushashi for the info - I recommend the BMWCCA events to _anyone_ who hasn't been to one. They're more expensive and require membership, but it was totally worth it to have an instructor in the car with us on each of the runs. We lucked out and got to work with the senior instructor, which was a real treat, but all of the instructors are extremely knowledgeable and approachable. There is another one coming up in April that's only $50, but you don't have the instructor with you the whole time.
    The weather was above freezing and there was almost no snow on the track (just unmelted banks really) but they had a wet skidpad in the morning and rain in the afternoon. Plus the DCTC track is very interesting and they used it well... my Nokians are showing some wear, but the experience more than made up for it.

10. Musashi

For an event that provides training and a personal instructor this event is very cheap compared to other events and driving schools I have participated. The amount of attention and feed back the instructors provide is priceless. I plan on participating in the April event and hope they can provide me a instructor that can teach me more in addition to what I already know.

AWD101 come out and we can do the Touge Battle at DCTC.

C

11. AWD 101

wow, this is coming up fast. I think I'll probably be there though, now that I'm a member of BMWCCA... unfortunately to participate you have to become a member, but it's a one time fee of $40. If anyone knows differently please correct me, but for the winter driving school I had to get a membership. Worth it? Absolutely!
    I'll probably be there on the 9th, and maybe on the 10th too, we'll see.

12. Musashi

April 9 Basic Car Control is open to non-members, so no membership is required. $50 for the day and you get a full time instructor in your passenger seat.

April 10 is a Advanced Car Control Clinic, that event is for members only.

I am registered for both days, and yes I will be running my snow tires. LOL :p

See ya out there.

Supa C ;)

13. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

I think I am going to go out there as well. Is there a deadline for registration?

14. Musashi

I'm not sure, send an email to the driving school contact.

C

15. hank0819

hank0819 Guest

are you the member of the BMW or you have BMW? by the way, i have registed, hope i can meet you there.

16. Musashi

I am a member, but I dont have nor need a BMW to be a member. I drive a red WRX, come and say HI when we are at DCTC! See ya there.

Supa C ;)

17. AWD 101

I finally shot off an email to the club about this, I'm a member but didn't have my membership number :I
    If all comes together, I'll plan on being there with my bro on both days, so it should be a blast. Don't have my summer tires on either C - we'll make do ;)
    jdgrimm - so, are you signed up yet? you should come at least for the first day, it's a fun course :cool:

18. Musashi

I cant wait, see you all next weekend!

:D

19. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

i havent signed up yet, but i am planning on it. Not sure if i am going both days, but i will be there for sure one the first day.

20. Musashi

FYI: Advance Car Control on April 10 has been sold out! You better hurry if your interested, I know this was also communicated with the mnautox.com Autocross club. This training will be helpful for new drivers looking into getting more involved with sanctioned motorsport events. ;)

21. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Chong, I wish I could join you again on another racing event. I'll be a harder working staff next time. :D ...just not this time. I'm booked with other things and people. :p

22. Musashi

Good luck looking for work as a staff this season! I guess you have decided once again to not take the time nor the opportunity, so the lesson will be the same for 2005.

Hit the dirt Mr. F!

:cool:

23. Substeroo

Substeroo Well-Known Member

I work @ 3 that day (every weekend) I can't do it.

24. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

mush...so are you telling me that i am too late to sign up for the 2nd day?

25. Musashi

26. AWD 101

yep, i'm still getting my membership business resolved and was informed that the 10th is full. Still a few spots left for the 9th though, so looks like I'll only be there on Saturday. No membership required though, if you have a paypal account or can write a check sign up soon! See you guys out there. :cool:

27. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

i am signed up now for the first day. Do you guys want to meet somewhere beforehand?

28. AWD 101

signed up now, will be there with my bro again.
    I'd be up for a mini-meet/cruise to DCTC ahead of time, maybe hook up someplace on the way there, coffee shop or cafe. They do start right at 8am though, so it depends on how early you want to get up :) I think it took us 40 minutes - 1 hour to get there, but we missed the exit on the way down (i think it was marked co. rd. 42 rather than 145th st, though it could've been the other way around - they're the same road.) Let me know where and when you want to meet up and I'll be there. :cool:

29. Musashi

Sorry guys, its quite a drive for me so I plan on just driving straight there, I'll see everyone there this weekend.

Supa C ;)

30. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

Ok, AWD101 and I are gonna meet at firestone at 6:45am. If anyone else wants to drive along, just meet us there.

31. Musashi

I had alot of fun, it was great meeting everyone! Hope everyone had fun and learned a few things. ;)

32. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Next time... Next time I will think about going. :p

33. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

That was definitely worth the $50. The instructors were very knowledgable. Recommend this to everyone.

34. AWD 101

let's just say i was super lazy on Sunday... ya'll wore me out Chong :) Great stuff, I'm in for the next advanced class, think I'll sign up this week :cool: The M3 and Porsche rides were worth the price of admission. I think I learned more about the correct line by riding along - I'll have an instructor drive my car next time.
    Kudos to Hank for meeting up for a fun caravan ride down - hopefully I didn't hold you guys up too much.
    Camera mount next time.

35. Musashi

Thank you everyone for coming! :D