Car holding 1st gear

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by silver03, Jul 25, 2017.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

95 Legacy LS (2.2, 4eat, 160k)-believe me, no mods. When the car is cold it holds onto first gear for quite a while, almost to a point of being dangerous because the car will not accelerate. Efforts so far include:
    Plugs/wires replaced. Car was showing a misfire code on all four cylinders. That has gone away.
    Checked Tranny fluid- full and good color. I have no idea if/when ever dumped or flushed.
    MAF sensor cleaned
    Air filter replaced

What next? Thank you -Rick

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Is it only first gear?

I've had several cars that vintage that shifted sluggishly when cold, even not shifting into 4th until warm (which I really notice at my new house, as the speed limit is 65mph at the end of my driveway). On all of them, a transmission drain and fill and filter yielded a noticeable improvement, but not resolved. This led me to believe it's internal... but Auto transmissions are sort of VooDoo magic to me...

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I will dump fluid and change filter. thank you Dr. VooDoo!

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I had a 99 leggy outback wagon that felt like the trans was taking a long time to shift, no power, also bind when turning.
    had misfire codes as well as tps code. Replaced the tps and it fixed everything

silver03 likes this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, TPS can cause transmission issues, but usually either very minor, or trips a code (there was a TSB on the '01-'04 H6s that it could get fairly bad without setting a code, but that was an exception).

But might be worth testing, anyway.

6. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

My '00 Impreza OBS is lazy to shift from 2nd to 3rd and overdrive when it's cold, but seems to get better after it gets up to temp. I've also noticed that it's slow coming out of gear if you throw it in neutral and rev, it takes a few seconds to actually come out of gear. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it yet. Kinda hoping the tranny grenades so I can 5mt swap it....kinda.

7. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

That's a long driveway if it needs a speed limit and you can get to it by the end.