Carbon Fiber vs ABS materials

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by ej20, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ej20

ej20 Well-Known Member

Lets say I have 2 wings of the same style. One is Carbon Fiber and the other is made out of ABS materials. Besides Price, look and weight what are the advanteges between the two? Functions at Hi-speed?

2. John16V

John16V Well-Known Member

For one thing carbon fiber do much better in the cold than ABS. ABS crack easily in the cold...especially in MN weather.

3. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Generally, carbon composites will be more rigid than a plastic. I say generally, because it really depends on its construction. A sandwich construction with a foam or honeycomb core is ideal. Composites are strong in tension or compression. You need something to hold the layers apart for this to happen. If you just slap a few layers of carbon or glass together without a core, its not very strong. See: Bending Moments.

4. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

carbon fibre is more fragile versus ABS materials....but CF is lighter than ABS....most body parts are ABS....

5. speedyham

speedyham Well-Known Member

Composites such as fiberglass and Carbon Fiber are strong in tension, but very weak in compression. Composites like concrete are strong in compression, but weak in tension. It all depends on the composite material you are talking about.

6. Treylizardo

Treylizardo Active Member

The advantage of any composite material is its strenth-to-weight ratio, so if you want to overlook that, you kind of miss the point.

Generally speaking, if you have a thin wing of ABS and a thin wing of a glass reinforced plastic, the GRP will be less prone to buckling.

7. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

True. I was being a bit hasty in my post.