Cargo Light

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Queue, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

The cargo light does not come on when the rear gate is opened (switch is in the correct position) and works in the other settings. There isn't any obvious switch so, I suspect, it is in the latch and/or a wiring issue (o5 OBXT).

Any insight?

Thx

2. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

Seen a few of those generation legacy's/outbacks with poor wiring connections for the socket inside the lamp housing. Often taking the lamp housing out of the headliner and messing with the wiring connection will fix it.

Could be as easy as a faulty bulb. The switches on those lamps suck too. If you switch the toggle a bunch of times from "off"-"on", sometimes it will start working.

The only wiring issue I see with those often enough is the wiring inside the flex boot on the passenger side of the gate. There are about 16 wires inside the loom. Often times, 3-6 of them break. The reason I don't see that causing your problem, is the cargo lamp wiring is before the flex, so those wires don't break.

3. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Good advice. Would you know if the latch acts as the "switch" or is there some other way that indicates if the hatch is open or closed?

Thanks.

4. driftin240

The indicator on your instrument cluster will show a red line under the back gate if it is "open".

5. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am really trying to determine how the cargo light "knows" the rear hatch is open...there isn't any obvious switch. Thoughts?

6. LawnMaster

LawnMaster Well-Known Member

7. driftin240

That's odd because the WRX's have a trunk light. For some reason, lots of them don't work though, and I'm not sure where the trigger switch is for them.

8. driftin240

The switch for the light is in the latch assembly in your gate. I suppose if the wires in your flex gromet are broken for the switch, it won't ever turn on.

9. LawnMaster

LawnMaster Well-Known Member

...correct, but my 2002 is not a WRX, it's NA. OP did you find a solution?

10. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Thought so. Thanks for the info..