Carls build thread (04 STI)

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 01midmetws6, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 01midmetws6

01midmetws6 Well-Known Member

Hello all, I have been trying to get together a journal/build thread for a while now. I don't post much but have been lurking for a while. So here is the story with the car:

Last August I flew down to AZ and pickup up a very clean 45k mile, silver, 04 STI. I bought the car from a 42 year old women (complete sweethart) that was the original owner. When I purchased the car it had the following mods and made around 330whp on 91 octane fuel @ 18-19psi.

MODS: INTERIOR
    Extended armrest and dimming mirror (that’s the list of options on this car for 2004)
    Short Throw Shifter w/Titanium Shift Knob
    Kenwood Excelon DDX 7015 with remote control
    Sirius Satellite Radio, DVD, MP3, Navigation
    Alpine Speakers (all six separate speakers)
    Rockford Fosgate Series 1 “10” Bandpass bass tube (in trunk)
    Kenwood 2 channel amplifier (for the bass)
    Kenwood 4 Channel Amplifier # KAC-6401 (rest of speakers)
    Scytek Vectra X 55 Security System with Remote Start, Turbo Timer, pager.
    Dynamat on floorboards, in trunk, all doors
    Boost Gauge
    EGT Gauge
    Gauge Bezal

Engine Mods:
    FP Red Turbo 7cm housing
    APS blowoff valve
    Injen TBE with Downpipe
    ACT SB4HDSS Street Clutch an ACT lightweight
    Walbro 255
    STI 740 Injectors
    ECUTEK Tuned and dynoed
    Perrin Turbo Inlet/CAI
    Large ESX Top Mount Intercooler

Here is a pic from when I picked up the car.

[​IMG]

Spring of 2012
    I installed some Nitto SN2 snow tires on the stock wheels and drove it through the winter. In the spring I started getting some rough idle and popping issues that were caused by the injectors. At that point I decided to run a set of ID1000cc injectors along with T1Racecomponents rails. After pulling the intake off I decided to port the TVG's and port match the intake as well. While the intake was off I blasted it and painted it a semi-gloss black. Everything went back together really well. I used Areoquip push-lock hose and connectors to finish up the fuel system. The end result is really nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the new injectors installed I had Nuke tune it on both pump gas and E-85, needless to say it was always on E-85 and always being driven very hard at around 25 psi. Nuke did an awesome job tuning, the car ran absolutely awesome and made really good power.

After getting engine stuff sorted out it was time to turn to the suspension and brakes to get serious about getting the car track ready. At this point I installed the following.

Suspension:
    RCE "yellows" springs
    RCE front and rear sway bars with cartboy endlinks
    Pulled apart shock cartridges cleaned old grease, lubricated and reinstalled (shocks were binding and clunking)

Brakes:
    Hawk HPS pads for the street
    Hawk HT-10 pads for the track
    DBA 400 front and rear rotors
    ATE super blue brake fluid

With the first performance driving school coming up I serviced every fluid in the car from the rear differential to the power steering fluid. I also put on a set of 225/45/17 Kumho V700's that i picked up on clearance from the tire rack ($71/tire, bought two sets;)

During the following track day the car ran great! I also have a 2001 Pontiac Firebird WS6 and the STI made it feel like a Caddy in comparison. Late in the afternoon i started to notice oil smoke on start up and when I pulled the oil cap I was getting a pronounced puff....puff.....puff from a cracked piston/ring issue. I was however able to limp the car home where it sat for about six months. The T/A was down at the same time with a similar issue and I had to get a motor built and installed in that before I was going to take the STI apart.

Fast forward to October and I found the time to pull the motor out of the STI and found the standard cracked cylinder #4 ringland. Since it was apart I gave the the EJ257 tuneup, pistons, rods, bearings, etc, and had Fuji port the heads as well.

Motor build parts:
    JE 99.5 pistons
    Manley connecting rods
    Clevite bearings
    ARP 11mm head studs
    Killer B oil pan, pickup and tray
    Fuji ported heads

....and here are some pictures from the engine build.

Out with the old
    [​IMG]

Teardown complete
    [​IMG]

Ready for reassembly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking clearance and grinding rings to proper end gap

[​IMG]

Short block assembled
    [​IMG]

Sexy piston shot
    [​IMG]

Longblock together
    [​IMG]

Degreasing the engine back prior to reinstallation
    [​IMG]

Motor back in
    [​IMG]

Finished installation
    [​IMG]

The way it looked yesterday next to the GF's 05 LGT 5eat
    [​IMG]

Needless to say it has been an adventure so far. The build went as well considering it was my first time tearing into a boxer motor. As of right now I have about 120 miles on the new setup and will be getting together with Nuke again soon to get the tune dialed in. I can't wait to get this thing out to the track this year and let it eat.

I cant possibly thank NUKE and enough for all the help with advise, recommendations, parts hookup, etc. Him and Fuji know their **** and they are both very open with advise, something that is not very common anymore. Thanks for reading and i will keep updating as time goes on.

2. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Btw that fp red has a 8cm hotside now hehe

Hey, we were just doing our job, which was to provide you with guidance from our experiences and knowledge. We'll continue to provide anyone in this community with the same help we have given you. Its what we do best. Dont let anyone tell you different ;)

BroCo likes this.
  3. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Nice write up! and very nice car!

4. deegee

deegee Well-Known Member

Very nice. Makes me miss my 05 :(

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Yay, finally someone who is doing it right!

Nice garage too.

6. 01midmetws6

Thanks for the compliments all. Somehow I forgot to mention the install of the GS up-pipe and 8cm housing, I think that was done with the intake work. Nuke, keep me on the list for headers and let me know what you need from me.

Thanks for the compliment on the garage as well, unfortunately it is not mine. It belongs to my pops out in Hudson, he is nice enough to let me tear into bigger projects out there. We co-own Lancer Service (auto repair shop) together in downtown St. Paul. Unfortunately being a busy six bay shop it is hard to tear into something more time consuming like this and let it sit if needed. This summer I plan on finishing up a garage with a lift at home to so I can start building fun cars here so I don't have to run all the way to Hudson and take up his garage.

7. Bnuts01

Bnuts01 Well-Known Member

I wish I would have pulled my motor and cleaned everything up. Looks clean! I like!

8. OngbakLGT

OngbakLGT Active Member

Very nice and clean car!

9. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

i look forward to some runs!

10. 01midmetws6

It will spend more time going around in circles than it will in a straight line. I still need to get some odds and ends buttoned up prior to getting it out to the track. I have been busy as hell tuning GM stuff so I really haven't had a chance to work with it much. I will update as soon as there is something good to write about.

11. 01midmetws6

Ordered two new sets of wheels, four bar map sensor and front lip today. It will be an exciting ups week!

12. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

When are you doing track days this year? It'd be nice to see that beast in action soon!

13. ViktorVaughn

ViktorVaughn Active Member

Hey Carl, its Andrew, car looks great! If you have it at the garage often maybe ill stop by after work and check it out. Will be pulling my motor again soon to rectify some air getting by the headgaskets. Nice to hear yours is running well.

14. 01midmetws6

I am going to try to set up a track day with around 5-6 customers and friends on the May 21st or June 4th . I am also going to try to make it up for MAP proving grounds weekend. Now that it is fresh and should be ready to handle some abuse it will be seeing a lot of track time!

quote="ViktorVaughn, post: 645524, member: 1935"]Hey Carl, its Andrew, car looks great! If you have it at the garage often maybe ill stop by after work and check it out. Will be pulling my motor again soon to rectify some air getting by the headgaskets. Nice to hear yours is running well.[/quote]

Nuke was telling me that yours was having some issues pushing water, sorry to hear. Mine seems to be running well, already getting bored at this power level. I need more. Lately I have been doing a lot of GM tuning and driving home customer cars nearly every night. So the car has not spent much time at the shop. If you want to stop up Thursday evening I will be fitting a new set of wheels and tires (I am very excited)!

15. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

Well, I hope to be at the track on the 21st as well, hopefully everything pans out and we can put our cars ahead of the competition!

16. 01midmetws6

Wow is this outdated, I have a lot to get it current. Car is going to be for sale, the FP red is long gone and replaced with a BB5858. I will add some pics and current info soon.

17. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

How much are you going to be asking?

18. 01midmetws6

I am still feeling out where I will end up. I am assuming somewhere around 20k. Car has 60k miles, is spotless and needs nothing. It is very well sorted out.

19. MinnesotaFTW

MinnesotaFTW Well-Known Member

Fair enough, a little too steep for my budget.

Sorry for the annoyance, I'm just trying to see what sort of prices people are selling their cars for :)

20. 01midmetws6

No annoyance, thanks for the interest.

21. 01midmetws6

So for an update here is where the car is at. I worked with Modern Automotive Performance and they used my car to develop a rotated turbo setup that worked with a top mount intercooler. At the same time they also put together a surge tank setup that mounts in the spare tire well. Here is a link with more information http://www.maperformance.com/blog/dyno-results-sti-rotated-mount-turbo-kit/ I also installed a Crawford Performance AOS

The car made 530whp on 30 psi and 480whp on 25psi. The 5858BB spools better than the FP red and caries power further. I can run the fuel tank right down to empty on the road coarse without any issues and the AOS has eliminated any oil consumption issues on the track. Here are some updated pictures and new specs on the car.

Engine:
    JE 99.5 pistons
    Manley connecting rods
    Clevite bearings
    ARP 11mm head studs
    Killer B oil pan, pickup and tray
    Fuji ported heads

Turbo/intake/exhaust:
    MAP rotated top mount kit
    PT5858bb turbo w/38mm WG
    5" bellmouth fender mounted intake
    APS blowoff valve
    Large ESX Top Mount Intercooler
    Injen turbo back exhaust

Suspsion/Driveline:
    RCE "yellows" springs
    RCE front and rear sway bars with cartboy endlinks
    Pulled apart shock cartridges cleaned old grease, lubricated and reinstalled (shocks were binding and clunking)
    ACT SB4HDSS Street Clutch an ACT lightweight
    TIC shifter bushings

Fuel system
    Walbro 255 in tank w/MAP surge tank Walbro450
    ID1000cc injecotrs T1R rails and custom fuel lines and regulator

Brakes:
    Street setup: Hawk HPS pads/stock rotors
    Track setup:Hawk HT-10 pads/DBA 4000 rotors
    ATE super blue brake fluid

Wheels/Tires:
    17x9 42 offset gloss black Rota Grids
    255/40/17 Hankook RS3's

Power numbers:
    26psi – 488whp/454wtq
    30psi – 530whp/468wtq

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  22. 01midmetws6

Attached Files:

23. 01midmetws6

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  24. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

How much? Do you have a FS thread for it?

25. 01midmetws6

26. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Beautiful build Carl. Thanks again for your amazing work at Lancer on my bugeye a few months ago.

27. Leo@Maperformance

Leo@Maperformance Vendor

SICK