Catless or Catted DP

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I'm looking at getting the Invidia DP with the N1 dual exhaust. If I go with the Catless DP will there be any legal implications or will I be cleared if I have the cat behind the DP in the system? Or should I have both?

2. pho_real

pho_real Well-Known Member

i'm full catless and haven't had any issues. unless you plan on going to a live in a state that requires emissions, you're good here.

3. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Do you have a reason to go catless?

tangledupinblu likes this.
  4. minnesotanice

Plan on staying here. So that's good.

The DP is just "that much" cheaper and with the Invidia Catted DP I've heard of people having issues with the cat being so close to the turbo outlet.

5. ryjacobs

Each car is different, but I always had problems being catless with overboosting and stuff in winter. Solved that by going EWG. Hated that. Solved that by going back to stock (and other reasons).

Wish I would have just gone catted In the first place. If I were to start modding again, I would. I don't care about that couple horsepower gain. Plus it's "nicer" to the environment- every little bit helps.

Shooting fire is always cool though.

Cotts612 and tangledupinblu like this.
  6. minnesotanice

I currently am using my old Silverado for winter driving, but I'm not sure how much longer it will last. If there are more problems with going catless than catted, then it might just be smarter to go with the catted. I'm thinking it will be a game time decision.

7. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue running a catless DP, but both cars I had it on were EWG. With a 3-port EBCS (Grimmspeed, Company23, etc), you shouldn't have any issues if tuned properly.

8. minnesotanice

I'm planning on getting the GS EBCS with all of my other mods and running a protune. Like I said earlier, I think it'll be a gametime decision, but with a protune and the EBCS and EWG shouldn't be necessary? I'd like to avoid an EWG for the time being.

9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Correct, EWG isn't a necessity when running a catless setup, but pretty much eliminates the chance of any aforementioned boost creep issues. Instead of EWG you could do some port work to your stock wastegate to help combat any boost creep possibility. At any rate, I think any capable tuner should be able to tune it out without porting the stock WG or going EWG...

10. ryjacobs

As far as I know, you can't tune out boost creep.

11. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I've been totally catless for a couple years now and still running on an AccessPort tune. I know that's not "ideal", but an actual tune is in the works for this spring/summer.

Anywho, have never had any issues with overboosting and such, but I also must not drive like a typical turbo-Subaru owner. Don't know that I've ever gone WOT and I feel like I'm pretty easy on it considering stories I've heard of people killing their cars. Sure I guess there's a slight risk going catless but if you've got common sense and don't just beat on it I think you'll be fine.

12. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I've seen a ton of people on here that have burned up trannies/clutches in 30-40k. Noobs.

I have been running catless forever now and the boost creep and the likes are pretty rare. But like @Krazylegz1485 , i also drive like an old man, errr, i mean, a "responsible middle aged adult".

Buy a catted model if you can afford the extra ching for one. Buy a non-catted if you don't. You aren't really going to see issues very often, if at all. Proper tune is very important tho, so don't skimp on the tune and use a knowledgeable tuner that specifies in turbos and or Subarus.

As previously stated, cat or no cat, the power differences are pretty minimal.

13. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

My bugeye has been catless the past 90k miles. I beat the piss out of it now and I have never had an issue.

14. minnesotanice

It's really not a fact of how much performance I'm getting against the catted vs. catless given I'll still be running catted up-pipe and exhaust. I won't be buying most parts until spring time given that my car is sitting quietly in the garage. If I have the extra cash to throw at the cat, then I'll probably run it given the fact that it can throw things off enough to really cause problems. Again, gametime decision.

15. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Not sure how you are when it comes to parts, but if you don't mind used goods just lurk on here and Craigslist. Sweet deals can be had with a little patience and good timing. I got my Invidia catless downpipe for $35 from a guy that needed rent money.

minnesotanice and tangledupinblu like this.
  16. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

^that's a deal!

17. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I'd get rid of the catted up pipe if I were you. It's a ticking time bomb.

18. minnesotanice

Definitely going to lurk around before I commit to anything. I've been keeping my eye out for things here as well as some other sites.

It's on my mind. I really don't want to go full catless, but I know the cat in the uppipe is trouble if it isn't properly looked after.

Cotts612 likes this.
  19. minnesotanice

Mods can close this. Went with catless.

tangledupinblu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.