Ceramic Coating Wheels

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, Jun 2, 2020.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I'm getting some new wheels in the next couple weeks and am wondering if buying the Adam's Polishes wheel ceramic coating kit is worth it. I plan on running the wheels as autox and track wheels with some weekend warrior duty.

If anyone has used this, would you recommend it? Or is it not worth the cost/hassle?

Thanks!

2. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

I have done it to the new summer wheels on our F-Pace and to the new wheels I picked up for the STi. I already had the material as I already did the paint on both cars (don't know why I haven't done it to the Porsche, yet...maybe I enjoy the manual labor for that car?), I did the wheels with the extra bottle I had picked up in case I needed it on the paint. It was really just opportunistic for me; both wheel sets were brand new, so limited prep needed.

As for experience, don't know yet as I just did them prior to mounting summer tires this spring. I don't expect too much as I have read it only lasts a year or two on wheels. Not sure if it will be worth all the prep work to redo them at that time. I used Nano Bond (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSYT5X9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as it was cheap (like $20/bottle) and had good reviews. Doesn't look to be available right now.

One piece of advice...do the spokes when you get the wheels, mount the tires, and then do inside the barrel. Weights have a hard time sticking to the coating, plus you get to coat over any scratches from mounting.

Bottom line...not a lot of work on new wheels, but the longevity is still TBD.

3. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Sounds good. The wheels just came in today and are being mounted and balanced as we speak. Probably will pick up some coating since they are new and might as well add a little protection.