Changed tranny/diff fluid

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Zola, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Someone slap me. In my laziness, I waited this long to do it. It is the factory recommended interval, but I should have done this way sooner.

The thing just shifts like BUTTAH now. Downshifts, even though they were fine before because I always double clutch or rev match at a minimum, are now effortless. I never had any problems getting into any of the gears, but they are all selectable with the greatest of ease now.

The oil I drained out of the transfer case looked good. Had a healthy color to it and there were no abnormally large hunks of metal in it, just tiny flakes. The magnetic drain plug had a good portion of metallic sludge on it, so it'll be nice to have all of that out. The rear diff fluid was an ugly grayish green color. Truly foul.

Anyway, if you haven't done yours in awhile for whatever reason, DO IT! I'm going to make my intervals 15,000 from now on.

2. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

What fluids did you use for the tranny and diff? I got some Redline a month ago, but I'm lazy about it, too. :roll:

3. Yang

Yang Well-Known Member

Im planning on it soon but reconsidering fluids. Dont know if stock fluid or synthetic. I heard synthetics are bad in the long run :(. Im scared :mad:.

Yia:I

4. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

Valvoline 75W90 dino oil, $3.50/quart.

5. RallyNavvie

RallyNavvie Well-Known Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zola

Valvoline 75W90 dino oil, $3.50/quart.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dinosaur oil? Sounds scary.

6. Zola

Zola Well-Known Member

It'll work fine, and Subaru recommends it. I have yet to be shown any compelling reasons to use synth in the gearbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.