Changing Manual Transmission Fluid

Discussion in 'Tech, Tips, Newb Info' started by Ryan, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

How to change the transmission fluid on a Subaru 5 speed manual transmission.

Please note: Myself nor the staff of mnsubaru.com are not responsible for any damage done by attempting this

The following was done on a 2005 Subaru WRX Wagon. Some changes may need to be done for other models.

List of items needed: (See image 1 & 2)
    -2 Jack stands + Jack
    -T70 (or T60 works) torx + correct size wrench (1/2 is common)
    -Transmission fluid
    I used Uncle Scotty's Transmission Cocktail which is: 1 qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof, 1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh, 2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90.
    -Transmission fluid filler. I found a great item at pep boys that has flexible tubing
    -Drain pan

Optional Items. Not require but recommended:
    -Mechanix Gloves
    -Shop Towels

Step 1: Pull the transmission dipstick out. I will explain why later.

Step 2: Jack up car, place jack stands under the car. After this I always push the car side to side to make sure it is secure. I don't want to be wrenching away and have the car fall off the stands.

Step 3: Place drain pan under the transmission drain bolt. Remove bolt (Image 3). When I did this I had been driving around all morning picking up items for the fluid swap so my drain bolt and oil was very hot. Why you want the transmission dipstick pulled is to allow the air somewhere to escape. Much like pouring a bottle of oil or a jug of milk, air needs to fill in the empty space when the transmission fluid is being drained. Without pulling that dipstick, the transmission fluid will come out nice, then need air causing the fluid to "gasp", which in my case shot fluid over my drain pan and all over my floor.

Step 4: After most of the fluid has drained, but still lightly dripping lower the car off of the jack stands, this allows all the fluid to be drained. If you have a lowered car the drain pan may not fit under the car. For my car it did. Once again see image 2.

Step 5: Time. I let my car drain overnight. Others may not care that much.

Step 6: Clean off the drain plug of any metal shards connected to it and replace. I hand tightened the bolt. You may need to raise the car to do this. I was able to slip myself under the car without raising it. Yes, I'm a smaller guy.

Step 7: Fill the transmission. This should not be rushed in order to prevent spills. If doing Uncle Scotty's the fill order is Redline, Pennzoil, and then Castrol. The transmission capacity is somewhere around 3.8qts. I only filled 3.5 qts worth in my transmission. How I filled mine was put in the first 3 bottles, wait 10 minutes, then filled 1/4 of the 4th bottle. I then waited another 10 minutes before checking the level. It seemed fine so I went for a very short drive around the block. After that I checked the level again and added as needed. Today I drove to work and checked the level again to make sure everything was correct.

Though this may seem a bit scary for a new person, it is easy. Take your time and you can save money plus have pride in your ride.

2. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Update:

There has been a large discussion about Uncle Scotty's Cocktail and transmissions. Just perform a search on the board to read some of the information.

Another large discussion on NASIOC can be found here

3. bobafett04wrx

bobafett04wrx New Member

So I got under my car only to see no torx bolt, but a 20mm, I think. Can anybody confirm that the 04s dont use the torx bolt?

4. Herger

Herger Active Member

I have an '04 and I don't have the torx either.

5. xxtraloud

xxtraloud New Member

99 RS here, no torx, just a regular 21mm

6. wantswrx!

wantswrx! Active Member

I feel like this is a dumb question, but where do you pour the fluid to fill it? I haven't worked on my wagon much yet so I am still discovering these things!

derp likes this.
  7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

The fill tube and dipstick on a WRX is underneath the TMIC.