Cleaning Leather - Tips and Tricks please

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Now that I own my first leather car I'm looking for tips and tricks from people on the best way to clean it up. Those of you that know me know I run a very clean car typically. I bought some meguiars leather cleaner, but I didn't know if there was some better tricks out there. I will also consult the google.

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Horse hair brush. I like leatherique products approach, which is opposite of the traditional clean, then rejuvenate/protect. Leathermasters also makes great products. Use a lint free (white) cotton clothe for wipe down (easier to see if the oils and dirt is still lifting).

3. thakrazymule

thakrazymule Active Member

Bumping this from the archives, to avoid starting a new thread. Wondering if anyone else has more options/opinions/tips/tricks etc... The leather in my 06 has a "dry" look to it, and was wondering what others use to keep it conditioned, to prevent it from cracking and ripping. This is my first ride with leather and my interior is in near perfect shape, and would like to keep it that way. Also, what about the door panels and dash? I'm assuming its not leather? Looks more "pleather" or perhaps vinyl? In the past I've used armorall, but hate the glare my dash puts on the windshield. I have a kid on the way, and want to do what I can to protect the car from stains, before they happen so they are easier to remove when food/drink/vomit get all over my back seat. Lol. Thanks in advance for any help.

4. capslo

capslo Member

Father of four here. Congratulations on your new baby. I think the best you can do is keep it conditioned regularly with a product like Lexol and deal with the spills as they come. Kids will be kids and it's just going to happen and you just have to deal with it as it comes. One big killer is the car seats that dig in to the leather. Since they have to be strapped in tight, it will leave lasting creases. Booster seats don't get strapped in, but the kids are bigger by the time they graduate to booster seats and you still have the problem. You are looking at several years of car and booster seats in your future! You can put towels under which will help, but consider taking them out regularly to decompress the seat and condition the leather. Depends how anal you are about your car. Kids are messy and frankly priorities about what is important are shifted when you are a parent. The car and house just seem to get a bit messier! Weathertech mats are also a good investment while were on the topic of kids.

5. thakrazymule

Thanks. I have already invested in weathertechs. And I know my car is in for a thrashing with a kid being back there, I just want to do all I can to prevent permanent damage. I will try the lexol. Where would I find that? Auto parts store?

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

It may help if you cut some cardboard for under the kids seats? Cut one or two pieces for under the carseat and then place a towel over that. Seems like it would help to dispurse the weight and sharp edges of the bottom out further.

Also, put child in rubber bubble for easy clean up. Bubble boy ftw!

SkeetsWisconny and thakrazymule like this.
  7. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

I wish the Bubble boy would work. I have 2 boys and I am still anal about them getting in and out of the car in the winter. I cringe when I see their salt and slush covered boots climbing into my black leather car. I agree with Lexol conditioner, they also have a cleaner, which I have never used. I usually wipe down with luke warm very mild soapy water, let it dry and then apply the conditioner. I like the cardboard idea though, luckily my oldest will be out of a booster seat this year.

8. tangledupinblu

6 mil. poly...wrap the whole lower seat and floor. I'm serious.:)

9. thakrazymule

Any idea where a person can get those rolls of that plastic that's sticky on one side that dealers use? The stuff they put on the floors.

10. tangledupinblu

Check the hardware store or Menards. They should have rolls of it.

11. thakrazymule

Good call. Never thought about that.

12. capslo

capslo Member

^ I'd like to know this too. When we bought my wifes van we left the plastic on for a good 18 months until it was just too ratty to look at. Carpet was like new underneath, unlike the rest of the van. Weathertech doesn't quite cover everything, though the water/slush it captures and holds is a very good thing.

13. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

My Dad had a Shop Vac years ago called the Little Green Machine it was a portable steam cleaner that was for cars, it worked like a champ, I cannot find them anymore.

14. tangledupinblu

If you can't find it there, maybe check Uhaul or something. Usually it is used in residential applications for protecting carpet during remodels or moving purposes.

15. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

lol, I think i have one.

16. capslo

capslo Member

Last summer, I used a Bissel carpet shampooer on the van. Kind of a big version of the Big Green Machine. You would not believe how much muck that thing pulled out.

17. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

This stuff is in the flooring section and is used to temporarily protect your carpeting in the house such as when moving or doing a project. I have used it many times and it works great. I do believe that it states on the package to not leave it on the carpet for extended periods of time (I don't remember the exact length). I suspect there might be some adhesive transfer during long periods of application. Just sayin'.

thakrazymule likes this.
  18. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

If someone wants something like a little Green Machine thing I can ask my dad if he carries anything like that or knows a good place to get one. I have a Central Vac for my house that is mounted in the garage so I use that to vacuum out the cars but I'm left with a shop vac for anything wet - luckily I havn't yet run into a problem needing something more.