Clock resetting during cold cranking.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Krazylegz1485, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Hey all. Just seeking some opinions here.

I've got an aftermarket clock in my gauge pod and two days in a row now (these two cold as h days) after sitting outside all day at work, the clock resets after starting the car. I'm guessing it's something to do with a temporary voltage drop while hard cranking and the clock memory resets, but it's gonna get old if it happens every day...

I've had it in there for a while now, including last winter at least for sure. I know it's done it a couple times here and there but seems like it's gonna be a regular thing when we get consistently cold days.

Anything I can do to help this situation? Battery has never failed to start the car even once.

Thanks!

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a failing battery. While it may not fail to start the car now it won't be long I predict.

jubella2 and tangledupinblu like this.
  3. pbedroske

pbedroske Well-Known Member

Check battery terminals, chassis grounds?

4. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Do you have a voltmeter with MIN/MAX feature? I bet the battery voltage is dropping lower (for a moment) than you think while cranking.

idget likes this.
  5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Definitely sounds like a voltage drop issue. Visual inspection is a good start but misses more common issues (corrosion inside a connector/connection, wire damage, faulty battery cell, etc...). Re: troubleshooting I'd start at the ground side at the battery and work your way towards the clock. Then do the same for the hot side if you don't find the source of the issue. Could also just swap batteries if you have access to a known good one that fits as an easy starting point.

Chux likes this.
  6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Mount a sundial to the hood. Problem solved.

7. mctenold

mctenold Well-Known Member

Yeah, just make sure you only drive north too. Shouldn't be an issue.

pillboy likes this.
  8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, might be a failure in the clock/pod, but not likely. It might have a higher voltage threshold required to maintain the memory than other components, but still should be low enough that a strong system shouldn't have any trouble.

As mentioned, check battery connections, especially grounds (negative battery cable is obvious, but also all the wires between the block and chassis). Could be early signs of a failing battery, starter, or even alternator. Swing into an auto parts store, they'll likely have a load tester that can test all 3 on the car (we certainly had a sweet one at AutoZone when I worked there that could load test the battery with the engine off, and then read the voltage drop while starting).

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  9. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Just adding the same that's been said before.. I worked temp at advance auto and we had a machine that could even tell if there is a parasite power draw while the car is off. The battery tester gives you a pretty detailed print out that's worth the few minutes in the cold.

Heck if your around south metro, I could maybe help with the new battery. Just my $0.02.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.