clunk in the suspension

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by Scott, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I just replaced the struts and the sway bar link ends front and rear. Now there is clunk like metal on metal coming from the front and rear. The struts are Excel-g with m2 lowering springs ant I used group-n top hats.the sway bar links are from amazon. My question is how to isolate the noise to fix? If there are any opinions as how to fix that would beappreciated. 61QwS4ezMHL.jpg

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

pics of the end link install? I'd start with unhooking the endlinks from the bar and see if the noise goes away.

Also, did you remember to reinstall the conical washer that goes between the strut and the top mount? They'll clunk like crazy without those.

3. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

IMG_20131030_143420175.jpg IMG_20131030_143340441.jpg IMG_20131030_143213205.jpg IMG_20131030_143132881.jpg
    IMG_20131030_143550288.jpg
    This is the front and rear view. If there is anything out of the ordinary please advise. The car was raised a little bit for the pictures. Yes the washers were put back on.the clucks are really only noticeable while at low speeds and left a right Body roll

Attached Files:

4. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

was the suspension loaded during the endlink install?

5. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

No it was on jack stands.

6. SCIFIDELITY

SCIFIDELITY Well-Known Member

That may very well your problem. Sways clunk when when the suspension isn't loaded for at least the tightening of the end link/ sway bolts. Find someone with ramps and try that.

7. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Thanks again I have some ramps that I don't use due to the car being so low. I will get the car on them and loosen them and retighten. Hopefully that will be the fix.

8. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

My kartboy endlinks torque specs were 45ft/lbs I think I might have went 50 though

9. GrumpyPitbull

GrumpyPitbull Member

Yep, do it with the suspension loaded as Scifedelity said.

Also, when I did sways and endlinks on my car, I had a clunk from the right rear when going over any kind of bump. I ended up having to add more spacers to straighten the bolts out more on the endlinks. Yours look pretty good in the pictures, but if you try the ramp thing and they still clunk, put it back on ramps and add a few washers in there to get the bolts as straight as possible.

Scott likes this.