Clunking sound coming from the rear end of my STi

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by STi Scott, Aug 21, 2009.

1. STi Scott

STi Scott Well-Known Member

I have an '05 STi that is making a clunking sound from the rear end. It does it whenever I stop or start moving, and if I am coasting and then accelerate. It seems like it has to be something rotational to me. I took it to Subaru and was told that it is the rear brake pads sticking and releasing. Doesn't make much sense to me though. Any input?

2. Kosh

Kosh Well-Known Member

Rear Strut clunk?

3. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

stock suspension?

4. MiKe319

MiKe319 Well-Known Member

I think I have the same problem as you. It's been doing it for about the past 6 months now and I really can't figure out where it is coming from. I took the jack out from the left side of the trunk and I thought that had to have been the problem because it seemed pretty lose. But the noise didn't go away. I know my Brake Pads are at about 5% I just cant imagine that would be the problem though. When I get my pads replaced this week I will let you know if the noise changes. Please let me know if you figure out what it is because I'm so sick of listening to it every time I stop and go.

And my suspension is stock.

5. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

correct me if im wrong, but 04's and 05's had the rear struts that clunk. the stock suspension when it was getting old would start to clunk. its probably that.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Stuts, a very common problem on STI's.

7. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

Prob rear struts mines been doing it for months. But it does not bother me, it use to though. Do you have the stock wheels on or a low offset wheel. It will make more noise when you have a lower offset wheel.

8. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

You're only partially right. All of the STi/I's with inverted mcpherson rear struts eventually clunk (04-07).

Check the rear struts, it's a common issue. Repack them if you have the time, it's worth a shot:
    http://mnsubaru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25057&highlight=repack

Also, since it's quick and easy, check your rear pads and axle nuts too.

9. badbennyb

badbennyb Has no title

+1 to axle nuts. I've had the stut clunk as well as axle nuts backing out ever so slightly causing a "clunk type sound". Replacing the nuts is a cheap easy way of fixing the problem or at least ruling out one possibilty.

10. STi Scott

Yes, the car is totally stock other than a tb exhaust.

My pads are new, and it still does it.

It is stock suspension, but I would think if that is the problem it would do it over bumps and stuff which it doesn't.

The axle nuts idea seems like a possibility to me. I will look into this. Thanks!

11. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

Yeah, for sure axel nuts. I just had the same issue as the OP and found my left rear nut was loose (they are marked so it's easy to tell). Make sure to replace both of them and don't over tq.

12. STi Scott

I haven't had a chance to take a look at these nuts yet, but are they a special nut that I will have to order or is it something I can get at a hardware store?

btw, off topic but i'm just curious if you bought you sti from a guy named bob from fargo? your profile pic makes me think you did.

13. webcrawlr

Yeah, you'll need to order them.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/53796-replace-axle-nuts-got-click-knock-noise-try.html

Note that the rear axle nut is part number: 28044AA001 and is silver (the black nut in the first post is for the front). If I recall correctly they were just under 8 bucks each.

14. cwin

cwin New Member

Ok, I have to post this. I laugh to myself every time I read the title of this thread. I was going to ask you if you have tennis balls in your trunk like I do. I have about 20 of them rolling around in the trunk of my STI. Without fail each one of my friends have asked me "What is that clunking noise?" or something similar.

Ok, got that out of my system so I can move on with my life. I wish you luck on your repair.

15. mke723

mke723 Well-Known Member

Could it be the rear diff? TiC sells a "klunk killer" that adds urathane bushings to the rear diff mounts, no idea if this is your problem, its just what popped into my head.

16. mke723

mke723 Well-Known Member

your description, and what it says it fixes are similar

17. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

It sounded like the Rear Struts when i heard it.

18. STi Scott

I take it you must have checked out the car when it was for sale too?

19. mnstilynwrx

mnstilynwrx Well-Known Member

yeah, hahahha. Iam glade you like it and that everything is working out for ya! have fun!!

20. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

Check with Tim The Plumber. He was (and maybe still is?) having the same issue. He replaced his bushings in the rear, but can't remember if that fixed the problem. Plumber, where you at?

21. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Member

Just a little additional info. When there is more weight in the car the clunking/popping happens more often.

22. webcrawlr

Checking for a loose axle nut will take about 10 minutes for both. If you are hearing the noise going from a coast to partial throttle then I'll almost guarantee that's it. Has it been getting louder or haven't you had the car long enough to know? How many miles on the car or on the rear diff oil?

The klunk killer isn't for this issue. If you do add it you'll get more NVH but a better rear end feel.

..and while you have the rear wheels off slide some grease on the rear struts. If they are starting to make noise that very well may cure it (for a while).

23. STi Scott

Yeah, i love the car other than the clunking haha.

This sounds like my problem because it does make the clunk after you accelerate slightly from a coast. I am going to work on it tonight so I will give an update on whether it fixes it or not.

24. STi Scott

Well, I checked the axle nuts today and they were at 140 ftlb already.:dunno:

25. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

Struts....end of story. (I went through 3 sets before putting in the D-Specs)

26. webcrawlr

I've yet to hear anyone get a strut clunk going from a coast and just touching the throttle.

OP, did the factory marks line up? How many miles on the rear diff oil? If you put the e-brake on, put the car in gear and engage the clutch quickly just to the point where you feel it grab do you hear the same clicking sound (I could hear it in 1st and reverse). Did you grease up the rear struts?

If you are sold on the fact that it is the rears there's an aftermarket replacement out now for the 05-07s.http://www.turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_260_267_305_804&products_id=1036

27. Motorhead

Motorhead Well-Known Member

If you know for sure it is the strut by pushing on the rear of the car and hear an actual clunking sound then here is a temporary solution which would be to rebuild the rear struts http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sti-strut-lubrication-procedures-pics-29677/

I have done this twice with guidance from a well known Sub suspension expert and the problem went away for 6 months the 1st time and then 2 weeks the 2nd time. Have since applied grease to the exposed shaft portion of each strut without removing anything. This again is a temporary fix until I buy new Tokico's.

Good Luck!

28. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

That may be a little more sensitive than mine were, but on the first set, it didn't take much suspension movement to hear it. If it isn't the axle nut, I have yet to hear of anyone with this issue other than struts.

...and nowhere does it say that he was 'just touching' the throttle.

29. webcrawlr

If you are still having this issue and want to hear what my car sounds like (I'm having the noise again) we should meet up. I just got back from bringing my car in and had both rear struts and top hats replaced as they were *just* starting to make a little sound. My clicking noise was also back and this time it started to get louder much faster then the last. Long story short the dealer is replacing the rear diff as well but had to special order it. I'm now in a unique position where I can tell you with 100% certainty that the click sound I hear on accel/decel is not my struts (as they were just replaced). If you'd like to meet up and check it out let me know (if you are in town).

30. Tim the Plumber

Tim the Plumber Well-Known Member

the klunk killers from TiC are for the rear diff mounts and really is not the issue that your describing. The thumping that i had was in between shifts and sounded like someone put a midget with a hammer in my trunk. but this was only between shifts when the drive line would basically torque the rear diff cross members. Mostly due to the after market clutch installed.

i will bet one very very clean $1 bill that it is struts

31. PrimeTimeSTi

PrimeTimeSTi Well-Known Member

+1 on the struts. My 05 had/has a similar clunk at similar conditions. Dealer replaced the struts and top caps 2x under warranty. About a year on the first set, 8 mo. after first replacement and then went back in about 11 mo. later with same issue. Started again, same thing, after another 14 mo. and that's were I still stand. I know the problem and have tried greasing with some luck. Just a problem with the suspension on these cars. Don't think it's a safety thing as everything is tight and works correctly, but don't quote me on that. Have not found a sure fire solution other than going to aftermarket suspension parts.

32. bora28

bora28 New Member

Rear upper strut mounts, doing mine when i install springs (clunk over bumps)... I run a shop and u wouldnt believe how many STi's come in with the same problem!

33. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

I have to say is you now know you own an STi when you hear that "INFAMOUS CLUNK SOUND"
    It usually happens when takin slow turns but its not an issue to most STi owners they deal with it.

34. STi Scott

Sorry for the late update, but I have some info... Checked the axle nuts, not the problem. They were properly torqued. After some more investigating and multiple trips to the dealership we came to the conclusion it is the rear struts. Even without the car moving if you push down on the back end you can get it to clunk a little. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to buy new coilovers quite yet, so I won't get to verify that I'm right until I do that. I also learned that the STI Brembo brakes have floating rotors, so they can also make a little click/clunk noise if you accelerate at all.

35. webcrawlr

Good you figured out the clunk! The STI doesn't come with floaters. In the end my click noise was a combination of old diff fluid and a severely worn down left axle. Both my rear struts also mildly clunked when you pushed down on the rear of the car but the sound was distinctly different then the click. All are gone now.

36. bora28

bora28 New Member

Go to carquest... Ask for part #242085 get 2 of them (theyre about $70 each). they are what go on top of ur struts. U can do it before u go out and get coilovers... Get it aligned afterward.

37. webcrawlr

removing the rear struts/hats doesn't require an alignment. the front does since you'd be removing the camber bolts.

38. bora28

bora28 New Member

Yup, ur right...my bad

still not a bad idea to have it checked whenever you mess with suspension stuff

if it were me i would have it checked after isntalling, most shops check alignment for free (mine does), that way you can make sure its good and if u did something wrong or left a bolt loose or something, the tech. doing the alignment will probably catch it