Cluster swap

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by predavore, Aug 3, 2019.

1. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

So I hate the look of the 09 Forester cluster and want to put in an 08 WRX cluster. I'm reading online that it might not work. Some people talking about mileage zeroed out, some saying keys need to be reprogrammed, dash lights might not work, some saying the info needs to be cloned from the old one.

Has anyone attempted a swap?

2. predavore

3. predavore

4. Eazy_E_Rich

Eazy_E_Rich Well-Known Member

I've messed around with pre-2008 Subaru cluster swaps, which means that I didn't deal with CANBUS or any issues of that nature.

Overall I've found a few that worked well (2002 Impreza outback swapped with a 2004 WRX plug and play) (2006 Impreza to 2006 WRX the speedo signal didn't work and instead the cruise control light blinked proportional to how fast you drove)

I don't really care about my car's mileage, but I do think it's technically illegal to resell your car once you've 'tampered' with the mileage on the odometer, so there is that to consider. Again all knowledge pre-CANBUS so take it with a grain of salt.

Happy modifying!

5. Eazy_E_Rich

Also I have a 2008 WRX cluster laying around that I bought from a junkyard. $50 and she's yours.

6. predavore

Automatic?

7. Eazy_E_Rich

Manual

8. predavore

Already have one of those. But thanks. It has a few hundred more like than my car. So super close. I've read there is a clone process to get the key information and mileage into the new one I'm gonna call and see how much that is at the dealer.

Eazy_E_Rich likes this.