Cold Ticking

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by IamUnInc, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamUnInc

IamUnInc Well-Known Member

Im getting this weird ticking noise when my engines cold. The funny thing is is that it only happens when im accelerating. I pop the hood and listened to it when my friend reved the engine and couldnt hear anything but when im driving i can hear it pretty good. I have a stage 1 cobb map right now for 91. Can anyone help me out here? Its been happening for a while now but i brought it in to the dealership (i only have 33000 miles) and they checked everything out and said it was fine so i really havnt thought anything of it. Since its been getting colder now its been a bit louder so im a little concerned. Any help here is always appreciated.

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

sounds like the normal suby sound when its cold. mine has done it since ive owned it, and it has 200K on it

3. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

valves? I dunno...erik is right. Mine does it all the time when really cold.

4. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

mine ticks too.. but I don't hear it to much as I have remote starter and by the time I get in my car it is to temp..

5. IamUnInc

It sounds like its come from the front left side (if your sitting in the car) in the engine compartment or wheel well. Im just worried about my drive train at this point.

6. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

Subarus normally do have some tick to them from the valvetrain.

Mine was ticking louder than usual this morning. I hope I havent developed a rod knock or something serious :eek4:

7. Scuba Steve

Mine too!?!? Yesterday AM and today...I blame the temps and probably need any oil change soon. I'm not worried as both our wrx's sound like crap. Add some group N engine mounts, dog bone, and tranny mount and that definitely increases the crazy noises

8. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

definitely the cold temps. wait till its -20 out

9. IamUnInc

Yeah ive been thinking the colds been adding to it but the thing is i never really heard the noise untill after i flashed to the stage one map. You dont think im getting knock from the cobb map do you?

10. Scuba Steve

^^only a log can tell you that.

11. AWDimprezaL

MARTIN are you due for an oil change? mine does it when its near the time.

12. IamUnInc

Anyone in saint paul or surrounding area wanna help me out with a log here? I got a bit of time this weekend. I dont know what to look for so i would need someone with data logging experience.

13. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

Does the tick go away after the car warms up? If so, it might be piston slap.

If the tick doesn't go away, it might be your timing belt tensioner. Mine sounds like a freaking sewing machine right now.

14. IamUnInc

yeah it goes away after it warms up. So if it is piston slap what do i need to do to take care of it?

15. Hallywood

Hallywood Well-Known Member

Mine is starting to act up too. Thing is, its coming up on 90k...Timing belt, tensioner, seals, water pump project coming up soon...

16. Taras

Taras BANNED

Mine makes that same noise. It comes from the left side of the engine. It almost feels like its right in your feet. I have it when i accelerate and decelerate. And i dont think it matters when its cold or hot, it does it all the time.
    BTW does anyone have a link to scheduled maintaince at 70k or so?
    IamUnInc, i live in midway area, i could help you out with a log.

17. Ronnie@RSmotors

Ronnie@RSmotors Well-Known Member

tick

It could also be a small exhaust gasket leak. Metal expands when its heated so it could be small enough that it would stop then. Just a thought. Seen it before.

18. Taras

Taras BANNED

ticking sound from an exhaust leak? What is the best way to check for an exhaust leak?

19. 02blubru

02blubru Well-Known Member

start the car outside in the cold crawl under see if you see exhaust. very easy to spot when cold out.

20. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

the wife's '02 2.5rs sounds like a god damn diesel when it's cold. She was about 1/2qt low on oil. Once it's warm it sounds normal.

Also, yesterday she came home and it smelt like coolent. She knew it was a bad smell and had me check out her car. She was full on coolent and no leaks. I turned the car to the "on" position, but didn't turn over the motor to check the engine temp, her fans kicked on right away. That made me a little iffy. The engine temp was within normal range though. I turned on the car and heard a wierd sound as if liquid was moving around in a tight pipe (like a pressureizing sound). I reved the motor a couple of times and it went away. I then turned off the car and smelt around the motor to see if i could figure anything out. I then put the car once again in the on position without starting the motor, this time the fans did not kick on. I drove it around the neighborhood and it was fine. I had her check today when she drove it to work and once again when she came home... no problems, no smells, nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

21. wall of tvs

Get a new shortblock, or just live with it, lol.

22. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

My 02 2.5RS when i first got it rattled like diesel when it was cold, tunred out to be timing problem from the factory. it would rattle loudly.

However the other 2 I've had (WRXs) both tick normally. when its colder they tick more.

23. IamUnInc

well thats good to hear.

24. IamUnInc

Hey ill hit you up in the next few days after i figure out what i got going on. The names nick by the way.

25. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

just changed it when i swapped oil pans.

listened when i got home from school (30 min of driving) no strange sounds. It must be the cold mixed with some paranoia

26. Ryan

Ok, wife just e-mailed me this morning saying she's having the same problem again. Anyone have any idea's to the problem I posted above?

27. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

could be a hole in a line or hose, my SVX did the same thing when i had a pin hole in my upper radiator hose

28. wall of tvs

Intermittently sticking thermostat???

29. AWDimprezaL

it IS headgasket season, external leak is my guess, crawl underneat and look at the heads where they seal to the block

30. Ryan

Yeah, I was wondering about that... I was doing my google searching and found this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488157

If I was to give someone who works at a dealership her vin, could someone look and see if she's covered?

31. Ryan

something else to note... The other day when she was having this problem and I was looking under the hood, her radiator cap was ice cold. When I opened it the coolent was all the way to the top though. I'm going to have her check it mid-day to see if when the motor is cold if the coolant is at the top or not. The rez is to the full mark though.

32. AWDimprezaL

Call up 952 797 1352 and ask for courtney, she'll let you know :)

33. Fnfaststi

Fnfaststi New Member

valve tick...make sure you let your car warm up properly before you take off (winter anyways) and CERTAINLY before you get on it.

Your ok though...it's normal.

34. subytek

subytek Well-Known Member

The noise you are hearing is piston slap or a t-belt tensioner. If it is piston slap noise, and goes away while warm, this is normal.

35. wall of tvs

listen to this man.

36. Fnfaststi

Fnfaststi New Member

You sure? Usually "ticking" will be valves. Piston slap will be a "tapping" sound..not ticking and you normally don't get piston slap on the STI unless you have aftermarket pistons.

37. wall of tvs

subytek is a certified Subaru mechanic @ a dealership. :)

38. Fnfaststi

Fnfaststi New Member

A certified Suby mechanic at a dealership also told me I had 70 psi in one of my cylinders when I in fact had 145.

A certified suby mechanic at a dealership also forgot to retighten several of the bolts on my car which caused all kinds of problems last time I brought it in.

A certified suby mechanic at a dealership also told me It was a leaking head gasket causing a misfire in my car when it was a fuel injector.

A certified suby mechanic at a dealership told me the best way to fix said head gasket was just to let the motor blow and replace it.

and no...it was not the same mechanic each time...I don't know subytek from adam and I too was a mechanic before I switched trades.

My point is...I asked him a question...I wasn't stating he was wrong, I apologize if it came across that way.

39. AWDimprezaL

good for you, was this at any of our local dealers?

40. Scuba Steve

speaking of t-belt tensioner.....I replaced mine last summer. but the other day when the car sat outside in the cold (when it was 5 degrees) it was noisy

thoughts? typical?

41. AWDimprezaL

typical, some piston slap on 2 liters is common. some do it some dont

42. Scuba Steve

let me clarify....it was for sure the t-belt tensioner area....I know there the idler pulley in the same area, but that's also new and a simple ball bearing so I didn't even consider that.

43. AWDimprezaL

I wouldnt worry about it too much, how was it this morning?

44. Fnfaststi

Fnfaststi New Member

You really expect me to help you out with that answer with the above smart ass response? Why is it when you try to help you get crap for helping? Love forums...once I have made sure that the transaction with one of your members is complete to his satisfaction...I will be off your forum. Good luck keeping members when they try to help and you give the above responses.

I will let you figure it out which dealers they were...it will be "good for you".

45. AWDimprezaL

honestly, if you are gonna cry about that comment then you have much larger issues to attend to.

lemme figure it out, you had a bad experience at your green bay dealer, i dont feel sorry for you because ALL dealers are run differently, have different skilled techs and practice different ethics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.