Cost for Early Impreza STi swap

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TSTRBOY2004, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

What $$$$$ would I be looking at to do it?!?!?

find a 2door impreza and do an STi swap....

bigger turbo etc....
    $10G + or under???

Told my wife to day I would sell my car if I could have one of them..... she said I never would.. I said not for a mini van unless hse sold hers, and I sold mine and got the gc??- STi swap??

2. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

Any number would really be throwing something out there.

It depends on how good of a deal you get and on what parts, but expect between $15-25k

3. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

If we're talking the GC8 chassis, I know someone that hangs out at FS has done it. He did the whole powertrain/drivetrain, so I was told. Hopefully he's on here to answer your question. I know you can get nice condition GC8 2.5RS chassis for about 7 grand or less (damn market value!) if you look around.

I don't think the whole conversion would be horrible as far as getting things to line up, in fact I doubt there would be much of a problem at all. So labor if you went that route wouldn't be bad in that area. The ECU wiring on the other hand I hear is a horrible undertaking but I was told there's a few guys here in MN (probably on this board) that know their way around the wiring of GC8's. So if you went that route the labor would be cut down a lot on that.

I don't know, I think you could probably get the whole thing done with labor if you were lucky for about $14,000-$18,000.

Also a few SCC's ago there was a whole article on one that had it done, if you haven't seen it yet, I could bring it to FS this weekend if you end up coming out.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Depends on how cool you want to look. You can swap an awd L with any of the v2-4 JDM sti + tranny and drivetrain + brakes for the 10k and under mark....but you'll be driving and L.

I would say by a salvage RS or a 99 fo no more than 5Kand look for a RA v2-4 engine swap from GTImports or Supermoose on RS25. Then save for a tranny and the bigger better build.

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Hell just click this link

LINK

6. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Depends on what you define as an STi swap. Full driveline? Just motor & tranny?

I vote you get an L. Put in Sti motor & trans. You can putz with brakes, suspension and bodywork as you go. Just get the major part taken care of and the rest is easy.

7. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

what he said.

congrats to joining us on the bandwagon!

ps- no way in hell would it cost 25k to do a swap into an rs/l. **** you can find a total'd STi for ~5k and steal the parts off of that. for 25k you should be able to put 3 sti swaps together

8. TSTRBOY2004

^^^ thats what I thought... but he may mean if you cant do anything yourself but change oil... ha ha ha

I aint on the bandwagon... YET... but I would love to have an RS swapped...

it all depends on a lot of other stuff.... but oh wells.. for now will live with my bugeye... hard choice huh?!?!

9. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

the biggest variable is labor...DIY and you're looking at pretty cheap....have someone else do the wiring etc. and it'll add up quick.

my swap didn't cost almost anything beyond the cost of the major parts.

10. TSTRBOY2004

hey Chux.. there is a guy with what looks like 3 of your agons in his yard selling parts near my house in Jordan.... havent stopped in there yet... but if you are after parts let me know I can get the number to call...

11. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

looking on the high end you are looking at $15k + shipping + price of the car. this is if you SHIP the car to either garage tuning or eastcoast swappers. they charge $15k for the entire usdm STi swap. you get motor, tranny, DCCD, brakes, wheels, interior, everything. you can look on their websites to see what they have done.

doing it yourself will save oodles. you can probably find a JDM front clip for 2-3k or a crashed usdm wrx/sti for 5-10k and then you buy an L for say 2k or less (blown motor/trans preferred) then you can do all of the mechanical stuff easy enough. if wiring is that big of a deal you can send it out. GT charges $500 to do the wiring for a swap, this is what fuji did. i have heard good things about sending the wiring out. i know east coast swappers goes through all of the connections and redoes them better. so its high qualiy stuff.

i bet you could walk away from it all with a WRX swapped L for 5k.

12. DoughtCom

DoughtCom Well-Known Member

damn.... 5k for an L/STi swap and a summer of fun.

13. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

STi swapped would probably be more. but 'plain' old WRX....yea.

that would be AWESOME! I'm looking for a few rare parts still....

14. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

my wiring costed $1050 total for merging and shippped back. $90/HR IS FOR LABOR ON WIRING. But they did a great job on it. Car started right up just fine. Even the check engine light will flash.

I spent a total of about $4500 for everything on my swap. This includes the little claps, gaskets, parts, guage, FCD, exhaust, etc.... it's a fairly LIGHT setup.....

15. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

I say forget about trying to use the factory ecu and all of that BS. Get a standalone and be done with it. The wiring is easier, and if you get a decent ECU, you'll be set for whatever mods you dream up in the future. No ****ing with lame piggybacks and their limitations. Plus it will save you money down the line.

I may be a little biased on that subject though ;)

16. TSTRBOY2004

doesnt matter... I aint doing it.. throwing up some ideas on cars, business change etc etc... looking at cost cutting and stuff..... dont really want to bother with too much hassle.. more important things to do

17. TRUBLU

TRUBLU New Member

Should we all start keeping an eye out for impreza sedans? LOL

18. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

are thinking of opening a swap shop or something?

19. LVT

LVT Well-Known Member

where are these 5k totaled sti you talk of?

20. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

yea, i want a few of those too

21. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

i believe zombie and wray got theirs for around that. i think they got them at auctions

22. Dynapar

you have to really watch the auctions or know people to get that kind of deal but they are out there.

otherwise front clips are just getting cheaper. i bet you can get a v4 sti swap for about 3k. add in a 2k L, and you have a 5k swap. might not be exessivly pretty, stock wheel, l interior, stock suspension ect.. but show before go :)

23. TSTRBOY2004

nope... no swap shops for me... got some other plans... close HUGE shop is first plan... ha ha ha...

24. Dynapar

25. TSTRBOY2004

if all goes to plan.. sell sell sell...... move onto other things... manufacturing, design, setup a workshop on some land with a lift, and bunch of equipment... do it on a lot smaller scale with the ability to produce and manufacture parts etc....

26. TSTRBOY2004

but this will be a ways off yet if I even do it....

27. Dynapar

Cool plan. i hope it works our for ya.

28. TSTRBOY2004

thanks so do I... ha ha ha
    The auto industry is a tough industry for general repairs when people in our area would rather buy cigarettes and get drunk then repair non-existent brakes.... ha ha.... but when the heart aint in it as much then its hard to do... I am passionate about tinkering and creating stuff... ie why I enjoy building custom exhausts and stuff.... I want to get more into that sort of thing....

29. wall of tvs

wall of tvs Well-Known Member

good luck, mate.

At least the value of land is skyrocketing in your area right now. w00t!

30. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

i have seen a full v1-4 swaps go for as low as a grand, you can spend as much as 6 grand for a RA motor and trans with DCCD and everything and swap it in, as long as the swap comes with motor, trans, crossmembers, and ECU your basically set(for the most part). or you can just swap in a WRX or STI motor, as well as a better trans. easiest way would be keep your eyes open, i have seen swapped cars sell as cheap as 7 grand.

31. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

32. wall of tvs

33. TSTRBOY2004

true.... we would love to keep the real estate and sell the franchise (Ultimate) but reality is we may sell the whole lot now if the price is right...

I will still be doing car stuff... settign up a large garage/shed on property in Jordan, with small machining and welding / fabrication stuff... future plans anyways.. no immediate ones...

34. AspitFire

AspitFire Well-Known Member

yea i know, but you would just be using the engine lol :)

35. wall of tvs

the engine is probably haunted

36. TSTRBOY2004

BUt the wing is perfect???? hmmm...

37. Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

wow...that was a wicked crashed sti. he must have been going REALLLY fast

38. Dynapar

i didnt say that the crashed STis would be in good shape. here are a few pics of the one mike go his swap from.

your looking at STi BBS wheel from teh top, a comparison of fender braces, and the front of the car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.