COVID-19 and YOU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aegis, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Aegis

Aegis TAKE IT!

Hi everyone. I imagine we're all feeling really fractured right now. I wanted to create this thread so we can have a place to bs, let off steam, chat about WFH, chat about whatever. I would like you to keep politics out of it if you can (it's hard, I know) ... just, here's a place, let's chat. Here we go.

I've been mandatory wfh since Monday and everything seems ... weird. @readymix is also here with me. He contributes a decent amout of weird, but overall... working from home is weird.

Let's chat. Fire is going. Tell me how you feel right now.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  2. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I have to go work, which I guess is a good thing? Everyone is ordering stuff online, so someone has to deliver it. I would say over half of my businesses are closed though. It's really weird being alone in a large office building! So much space for activities!

I really don't like the attitude a lot of people have about the whole thing (spring break partying), like they cant get it or something. Their ignorance is only going to make things worse, and prolong the quarantine. Anyone know someone who is sick?

3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I am still working Stephini. And “a decent amount”? That dude is full on weird. I have pics of him with cone horns, and an interesting looking hat for Jag and Red Bawlz. Also, I don’t plan on catching the covid-19.

Aegis and phi11 like this.
  4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I am amazed it took this long for someone to start a thread on this forum regarding COVID-19 or the market crash. Since I retired in September I don't have to go anywhere and being "old" we don't go out much any more anyway. I was hoping the big market correction that has been anticipated for so long was going to be a little further down the line and NOT accompanied by something with the potential to kill large numbers of us. It's weird being in the group at greater risk (over 60). Right now my biggest issue is that Bridging was supposed to have come and removed some old furniture this week and ceased operations two hours before our scheduled pick-up. We have new carpet scheduled for install and new furniture in the way with a bunch of stuff I need out in the next two weeks. My step-daughter is on furlough from her serving job and we just made her next mortgage and car payment - hope this $h!t doesn't go on for 18 months. All in all I don't feel right complaining about anything as so, so many people are worse off. I'm not sure if I am hoping the spring break partiers catch herpes or coronavirus. Herpes, I think.

5. pillboy

I am NOT making a political statement.

6. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Overall for us and our specific situation, I'd say it feels like nothing has changed. We've always been on the homebody side of things, so even the restaurants and bars closing doesn't affect us. Minus the part about when you go to the store and realize a bunch of idiots bought everything as if the world is ending next weekend. That's getting old...

My wife works remotely from home 3 or 4 out of 5 days a week already. Now she just works from home all 5.

I work for an excavator and basically drive dump truck every day. We dig basements for new homes, primarily. Our work hasn't slowed down at all (yet) and I haven't noticed any other changes in the amount of people working on the job sites we go by (concrete guys, framers, etc). It honestly feels like nothing has changed.

We live in the country north of the cities, and my commute to work is about 4 or 5 miles from our house, all on back roads. If I never watched the news or listened to the radio I could honestly say I'd have no idea there was anything going on minus the getting to the grocery store part and being thoroughly confused. I guess I still am, tho, because I really don't get it.

I really want someone to legitimately explain to me the purpose of hoarding so much toilet paper... Genuinely curious.

Aegis, pillboy and tangledupinblu like this.
  7. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

The toilet paper hoarding is there for when the $hit hits the fan, people will be able to wipe it off ;-)

pillboy likes this.
  8. tangledupinblu

Same. Vanessa is a stay at home mom, who is probably more affected by this than me because she can’t go places with the kids during the day like she usually does. I work in construction and little has been affected. My job is potentially going to morph into Covid-19 clean up/sanitation soon. Which will be a boom in my hours.

9. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

our business is pretending like nothing has changed, despite probably half or more of our customers being closed right now.

10. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I work from home semi normally (I just got off a project that was onsite St Paul everyday for 6 months) so it's been about 2-3 weeks of working from home and about a week and a half of not being able to head out anywhere. We're extremely busy at work now though with everyone working from home and we build and deploy Microsoft cloud products including teams.

Pros: I roll out of bed at 7:30 am now and hop right on my computer and sit on my bike trainer while i work
    Cons: everyday is leg day, I'm running out of supplies to keep working on the Beetle or the VW Fastback and I burned through all my PS4 and xbox one achievements.

11. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

My office hasn't officially closed, although we have closed down an office in Colorado due to 2 degrees of separation. We have been told that if we can work from home, we are supposed to. I was slightly reprimanded yesterday for being in the office, but I work with CAD software a lot and it doesn't run so smoothly on a VPN. It's not as bad as WFH has been in the past as I finally got my home office set up, but it still makes work difficult on a day to day basis.

My dad has called me 3 days in a row essentially just to tell me to take it seriously as he thinks I'm still a college party boy despite graduating 5 years ago and moving my life along fairly significantly.

I am utterly blown away at what people are doing to horde food. I have been to the grocery store three times this week to pick up leafy greens and chicken. Every time they have been completely sold out of anything resembling those items. On the plus side, I bought my toilet paper in bulk a while back and have enough to last me the next 6 months.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  12. pillboy

Don't tell anyone where you live unless you also stocked up on ammo.

13. curly2k3

people are panic buying ammo too

Krazylegz1485 and euro like this.
  14. euro

euro Well-Known Member

I saw that, apparently Bullets, toilet paper and mass quantities of milk are effective against corona. Some lady yesterday at target was trying to buy like 12 gallons of Skim, 2% and whole milk each.

minnesotanice likes this.
  15. curly2k3

apparently a woman bought over $5k in frozen foods, toiletries and cleaning supplies from my local grocery store last weekend.

I bought a pound of beef, a package of buns, and a couple packages of hotdogs. lol

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  16. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Wife and I were able to buy our normal routine of stuff from target because apparently we buy weird **** no one else wants. we just double uped on a few things to last us two weeks instead of one. Only things I forgot were Mig wire spools and a new pair of welding gloves to keep me busy during isolation.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  17. Krazylegz1485

Apparently our tally of postponed concerts/shows is up to 3 now. So that's cool.

18. curly2k3

I just want to be able to watch hockey, my one sports season of the year was cut short.

19. pillboy

Our Target was out of those too.

20. tangledupinblu

:D:D:D

21. minnesotanice

My local Cub has nothing in supply of leafy green, produce, or chicken. The three main things of my diet.

With all the changes to my diet, I now see why people need a lot of toilet paper.

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.
  22. tangledupinblu

Try a week of nothing but McDonald’s $1 chicken sandwiches....

minnesotanice and pillboy like this.
  23. Krazylegz1485

Woof. No thanks.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  24. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's a severe understatement, lol.

I've been teaching people how to use MS Teams effectively. We've encouraged WFH as able but the nature of certain aspects of our business (medical device) demands onsite work from some people, mainly in assembly. Not a whole lot is different for me as remote work is always an option at my company, I just do it more now.

Anyway, I foresee this will get much worse before it gets better.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  25. pillboy

I hate to say it, but I think this is true. Makes me sad. Hopefully society doesn't continue to deteriorate and it doesn't progress to the point of mass forced entry into homes for supplies. I've read too much science fiction for my own good.

euro, minnesotanice and sneefy like this.
  26. pillboy

This would be preferable to a week of Filet-o-Fish as far as I'm concerned.

27. minnesotanice

I feel like it will get worse as its not showing any signs of slowing. The problem lies with people not taking it seriously. I'm guilty that at first I didn't think it was going to be much worse than the Swine or Bird Flu as I didn't remember it ever getting anywhere near this level, but despite everything, people are going about their days fairly normally. And I understand not wanting to get away from your normal schedule, but for the love of humanity, take a bit of discomfort for a couple weeks and it will all be back to status quo.

28. silver03

29. silver03

This is the attitude to have!

30. minnesotanice

Pertaining to the TP shortage, I shall not pass a bowel movement?

tangledupinblu and sneefy like this.
  31. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

That's where my mind went, lol.

32. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I usually spend 1 or 2 days a week working from home and have adapted to being at home full-time, but I'll have a lot of catching up to do once this is over. The only real challenge currently is actually getting work done with 2 kids and a puppy in the house.
    My wife does occupational therapy and normally does a lot of home care visits but now is only seeing patients in the assisted living home where her office is. They're preparing to fully quarantine the facility if needed, in which case she'd essentially be living there until they've decided they're in the clear.
    The shopping situation is frustrating but I'm making do just fine. Our kids' school is delivering breakfast and lunch each weekday so that definitelt makes things easier.
    My only real concern throughout this whole thing is my mother. She's has Lupus, so the combination of that and the meds she's on really screws her immune system. On top of that, she just had surgery last week (related to the Lupus) and has been on immunosuppressants for that.

33. curly2k3

Apparently a couple of my wife's coworkers have it (she hasn't worked with them or really talked to them even in the past couple of weeks, supposedly) and they've been pretty hardcore about their cleaning regiment after another coworker had thought someone they were closed to was confirmed (wasn't)... so I'm expecting to get it at this point between the people she works with and my work being too stubborn for sales to be WFH.

34. euro

euro Well-Known Member

After about 3-4 extra trips to the store my wife and I were finally able to find the last of the basics we were out. Strange that I had to spend more time in public to get stuff because everyone stocked up on 4 lifetimes of stuff. On the plus side I sourced the last of the sheet metal needed to finish bodywork on the Type 3 Fastback and theoretically could have body work done this year with nothing else going on.

35. tangledupinblu

Praying for you guys!

pleiades likes this.
  36. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

Before this I was WFH maybe 2-3 days per month. The first few days I took wayyy too much advantage of it and stayed up till 2 am playing games and logged into work at 9am with no intentions of doing anything. This week has put me back on track and realized this may not just be a week or two staycation. I did load my freezer up on meats and my pantry up on pasta and beans and after a few tries for TP I was able to snag a jumbo pack. That and an extra bag of dog food for the pup, I think we are going to be fine for a few weeks. Only negative is my wife is now home all the time as well as my kids. Going for walks is my way to escape the madness. Also my Apple Watch is constantly reminding me that my exercise levels are WAY down. Everyone stay healthy!

37. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Disappointed I haven’t been allowed to
    WFH even though I have VPN access for use when I’m on call.

euro likes this.
  38. silver03

I was one of the last holdouts where I work and was told yesterday afternoon to start working from home. The only advantage is less wear and tear on the truck and saving 3 gallons of gas every day. Otherwise, I would rather be there...like many on here. Interesting times to say the least.

39. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_15850560834017660.jpg

I cannot perform almost any of my job from home, and we do provide parts and service to construction companies and government entities that are legitimately essential. But for the most part, this is how I feel at work this week. If I weren't out of PTO, I would not be here....

euro likes this.
  40. Krazylegz1485

89886662_4062613870430433_5930026607891709952_n.jpg

41. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

We won't be closing here. We are bottling bleach. 7000 gallons a day.

42. pillboy

I guess we don't have to worry about you being a virus carrier.

43. tangledupinblu

Not THIS one.

klutz and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  44. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I sanitize my outsides at work and my insides when I get home from work.

45. euro

euro Well-Known Member

your children's children are going to be immune to basically everything.