Cutting out under boost - 03 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Krazylegz1485, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

That's kinda the black hole I'm getting sucked into currently. I'm hoping to get it tuned properly but then all of this stuff keeps popping up. Let's say $100 for a MAF, $250 for 3 more coil packs, $80-ish for a fuel pump (suggested? mine is high mileage original still).

$450 just for replacement oem parts, and then $300 on top of that for the tune. And that's all to tune an essentially stock motor. Ugh...

2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

High mileage is a bish.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Before replacing the maf, do some logging to see if the sensor is behaving as expected..i would suspect a bad maf would throw some strange values or swing when it shouldn't. You can also collect that data and graph out trims.

Im usually willing to glance at logs if you have the patience to get them.

4. Krazylegz1485

I do have an accessport I can log with. Are there any specific "gauges" I should monitor while doing it that would help more than others?

I appreciate the offer!

5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Altho the cost of parts sucks on an older rig... it sure beats a monthly payment.

tangledupinblu and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  6. Krazylegz1485

That is absolutely correct.

7. Mnelson

Mnelson Well-Known Member

Af learn, af correction, af ratio, maf, mafv, throttle position, rpm, boost, intake temp, barrometric.

I'm trying to think if I missed anything. Try to limit the data log to those (helps to clear the data log selections first).

Then drive around for a while. Log for 10-30 minutes if you so desire. Twice if you have errands :p. Also log warmup and idle. Just for a few second. When driving, keep throttle input smooth. The idea is if a sensor is going bad, your input should be steady while the maf changes abruptly.

If those look normal, we can add knock sum 4, timing, and remove Baro and intake temp to see if the timing table is consistent.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. Krazylegz1485

Damn. Thanks for the help. I'll try to get on it this week. My drive to work is about 15 minutes or so. I'll see if I can get that to work for me.

Mnelson likes this.
  9. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Welp, my WRX is having identical issues, but only I get zero boost. Looks like I've got a few things to check over the next week or so.

Thanks for the insightful posts y'all.

10. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

N0 boost sounds like the wastegate is stuck open or the c-clip popped off. That or the turbo is dead and/or there's a massive boost leak between the turbo and the throttle body... which would be pretty obvious.

ocie likes this.