CV boot sits a little weird (after being replaced)

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Niz, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

Car: 2005 Saab 9-2x 2.5i

Modifications: none

Problem Description: The CV boot looks a little squished on one side. It has been a few days and it's still in the same position.

Recent Modifications/Maintenance: Had the front right CV axle replaced with a used OEM axle (which was in pretty good condition)

I did double check that the axle is the proper one before having it replaced so the length should be fine.

The car drives fine and there's no noises or anything so I'm guessing it's fine but I just want to check if anyone else's boots look like this or if it's ok to be driven as is.

20170807_152259.jpg

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The other side doesnt look like that from the same angle? Are you sure the wheel isn't just turned making it look funny at an angle?

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

I'd reach down there and grab it and make sure there isn't play in the transmission. I think a 2005 should have the stub axles that are held in with a circlip like the older automatics, in which case it's possible that it would not be seated all the way in.

4. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Have you grabbed it and tried to straighten it out?

5. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

The other side doesn't look like that (other side wasn't replaced). I've tried turning the wheels and it stays in the same position, but I haven't tried turning it lock to lock.

Yeah it has the part that goes into the transaxle(?). You can't see it in the picture but it looks like it is seated properly. I have tried grabbing it moving it around but I couldn't get much leverage. I'll try again tonight

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  6. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I mean how are you taking the picture? Is this with the wheels straight on? Or did you turn the wheel to get the camera in there?

7. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

This is with the wheels straight (from the top, zoomed in). It looks the same regardless of how the wheel is turned.

I tried to wiggle it but it's complete solid. No movement at all. And it seems to be seated in properly

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Might be nothing to worry about, but it does look strange....if it's seated correctly in both ends, than it should be fine.

9. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

I've actually pulled the CV joint out of it's "socket" when trying to remove a subborn axle from the trans before. Instead of prying between the trans and the inner CV to pop the axle out, I was pulling/tugging on the axle shaft itself to try to free it from the trans and popped the inner CV joint out from it's race. Although when that happens the joint is completely sloppy and limp. Might be hard to diagnose with it still in the car.

Nhibbs likes this.
  10. Niz

Niz Well-Known Member

Well this one wasn't limp when it was out of the car and there shouldn't have been any pulling when installing it so that's probably not it. Could it be partially out of the joint? I feel like it would drive wierd or make a noise if it was

11. joebush44

joebush44 Well-Known Member

Ah, true.

Possibly? I'd say if you don't want to pull the axle again and/or pull the boot back to inspect, just run it as is. If you don't feel any abnormal noises or vibration...it's probably fine.

12. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario you've got 3 other drive wheels. Let 'er buck.

Niz likes this.