CVT JPipe Feedback

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by SkeetsWisconny, Mar 18, 2018.

1. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I’m in the process of selecting a JPipe for my 14’ XT Touring and wondering what people’s experiences have been with related JPipe modifications: Goal is performance - must have catted jpipe - have to bite the bullet to pay for the cat, no stank for me. Desiring most “growl” I can get without being loud - if I was going for preferred sound alone, the SPT catback (or maybe Q300) is what I’d go with as it sounds great to me but when mated to an aftermarket JPipe I’m afraid it will be too loud for my preference. I THINK it’s safe to say I’m desiring the loudest exhaust configuration whilst maintaining the stock XT mufflers.

A few JPipe videos for your reference:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?
    v=oM20wrn2ohk

Here’s what I’ve narrowed my options down to (non-resonated so as to hopefully gain some level of rumble back):

1)Cobb Catted Jpipe
    $695
    2)Mishimoto Catted Jpipe
    $661
    3)Invidia Catted JPipe
    $658
    +either of which would be mated to a 15 WRX nonresonated midpipe-ypipe

I’m also pretty intrigued by the:
    4)KillerB Midpipe and Jpipe combo - cat located in the straight midpipe section vs jpipe section - potentially better performance due to location
    $684
    +ypipe section of WRX

Would prefer to buy JPipe used but hard to come by for CVT specific as some of u prob know. Thanks in advance for sharing any relevant experiences and feedback.

2. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

I have a SPT catback (WRX nonresonated) that was paired with the Grimmspeed catted j-pipe. Got it with my car when I got it new. I thought it sounded pretty nice with the stock j-pipe and it certainly was louder and had more growl with the GS j-pipe. However, I felt it was still pretty tame and not obnoxious sounding. I do not think you will get anything close to the Subie rumble with j-pipe/catback configurations due to the cars now using equal length headers, but it will sound better than a j-pipe with the stock catback. I haven't heard any in person, but Youtube videos give a canned raspy, hollow sound if any j-pipe is paired with the stock catback.

I'm now running the Cobb catback with the GS j-pipe. Gives a wonderfully deep tone and absolutely no drone. The SPT had a little drone at about 2800 RPM if you gave it some throttle on the highway (like for speeding up gently), but other than that, it was pleasant. I'm sure a resonator would have eliminated any drone. I just didn't want to mod the catback as I was not sure it would give me the tone I wanted. That and I wanted to keep it in its original form in case someone out there wanted to buy it. I would think Cobb's catted/resonated j-pipe might be just the ticket to killing any drone and giving you the growl you want with pretty much any catback.

3. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks Jason! I looked at your profile to determine you indeed are referring to your experience with a WRX vs an XT like me though very similar ... we’ve seemingly a few things in common (weird I know - MN) I’m an avid hunter and fisherman as well as family man which led me to the XT over replacing my 06 WRX with a new one. I live in Lino - I’d like to hear your setup sometime. Although I loved my old Cobb Catted downpipe on my WRX, I feel like the cat placement is poor compared to mishimoto and killer b’s in a “straighter” section - though I don’t know if this will significantly impact performance much for my application.

Mishimoto JPipe with WRX midpipe and ypipe (not as concerned about drone with XT mufflers like I would be with WRX mufflers)
    OR
    Killer B JPipe/I Pipe, to WRX ypipe
    * I believe there is a slight difference in diameter between the WRX and XT yipe section - think WRX is slightly bigger but not as big as some aftermarket catback systems which could provide additional potential exhaust flow characteristics.[/QUOTE]

4. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

Jason C and SkeetsWisconny like this.
  5. SkeetsWisconny

I almost quoted this exact scene while responding MNBro...

6. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I neglected to specify I have a 2017 WRX. I do believe the catback portion is the same between the two? Or at least similar enough they can be made to fit with minor mods? I would imagine the sound would be similar between the two since they share an engine. Not sure if the CVT would change anything. Yeah, PM me if you want to meet up. I'm usually able to get out and about so long as I get some lead time to arrange for my kids to be watched.