Debating the Forester or STi wagon

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by SkeetsWisconny, Feb 26, 2013.

1. SkeetsWisconny

SkeetsWisconny Well-Known Member

I know some of you are in my same position as me and although I kind of already know the dilemma I'm faced with I thougth I would reach out to MNSubaru community for some input...

I currently drive an 06 wrx sedan tastefully modded to around 280whp I would guess and love it but have plans for a new vehicle this year. For the past several years I have been set that my next car will be a newer generation STi wagon and that will be that. Well, I have got myself rethinking the next vehicle now. I am a big outdoorsman, have a snowmobile I occassionally pull in the winter time, and bought a boat last summer and have been thinking lately that I should potentially look into a new(er) Forester XT instead of my 8 year dream of owning an STi. My car has the capability to pull my snowmobile and even my boat if I want (boat, motor, and trailer weigh in at around 1,250lbs). However, obviously I'd be better off pulling these things in the future with something better suited while not having to borrow my wife's or brother's vehicle (my wife will only drive one stick shift and it isn't my WRX but I am working on this with her :rolleyes: I'm just not sure that she would be ok with me taking her vehicle for an entire fishing weekend if I decided to steal her vehicle and leave her behind with a manual STi all wknd.

I am hoping for some ideas, information, and/or clarity ... I desire a Subaru that has power, good handling, and decent mileage - weird. Do I pick up a newer STi hatch, slap an exhaust and a few other goodies, a good NF tune, a hitch and go so that I can have all the things I desire and still have the functionality to pull my boat around ... or do I pick up a newer generation Forester XT, similar light mods, miss out on the STi's capabilities, and not leave my wife stranded without a car she'd prefer to drive? Lately, I've been more inclined to buy a Forester XT but the transmission worries me for fear that I would have problems with throwing any more than a TBE and tune at it... which is really not what I desire in the power category. I've always planned on my next Subaru to be an STi and have at least 300whp and I don't see that happening with a newer automatic only Forester XT from someone like me who could afford to throw a bigger turbo on it but wouldn't necessarily trust the tranny afterward. I have to say that RELIABILITY is extremembly important for me.

Each vehicle has it's pros and cons obviously. What do you guys think about pulling a 1,250lb boat behind a newer STi hatch? Or how about bringing a newer Forester XT auto to around the 300whp mark reliably? I'm going to assume there are many of you out there who will think it's a dumb idea to go the STi route but I also don't think it is that bad of any idea because so many others have pulled many things with WRX's in the past. So I'm focusing on the long-term reliabiltiy and functionality of pulling a 1,250lb boat trailer around 15-25 times a summer for multiple years with an 09+ STi wagon and/or the long-term reliability of bringing a Forester XT up to the 300whp mark. Also, I fully expect the "get a new wife" or "teach your wife how to drive a stick shift" comments so for those of you who are thinking this again, I'm workin' on it! ;)

Thanks in advance!

Also, Not to get off topic but I finally just stumbled onto to this article regarding the new 2014 Forester XT and I have to say I'm quite disappointed in the lack of hood scoop like many others. However, suprisingly to me the new features like added hp & tq, newly added SI-Drive System giving option to an 8spd paddle shifting ability in Sport Sharp mode, better fuel economy, and several other changes make this vehicle quite intriuging.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/25/2014-subaru-forester-xt-first-drive-review/

2. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Do you have the ability to pick up a beater truck and use that when the wagon won't work? That is something that I tossed around when shopping for new cars for myself and my wife.

Nater, JuStaWRX and yarpirate like this.
  3. yarpirate

yarpirate BANNED

Would it be possible for you to have two cars? It seems like you want two different cars, one reliable one to tow your trailer, and one fun one with which to hoon. You already know you love your current car, as you've stated - why get rid of it? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, as they say.

e:f,b

4. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

For me the main factor was reducing cost while attaining a car that could tow a boat and be a fun daily driver at the same time. I went from an '07 wrx wagon mt(280hp/320tq) to an '06 Forester XT at(stage 2). My situation is a bit different from yours and agree what the others above have said about keeping your wrx and getting a separate tow vehicle, if you could make that work. In my vehicle swap the biggest change came in going from a mt to an at. I've gotten used to though and enjoy the auto during the commute and towing so its worked out well for me. I think I have a picture of my Foz pulling my Lund....

If you could expand your search a little I think this would fit your needs as well- http://mnsubaru.com/threads/fs-tw-07-outback-xt-5speed.41869/

I've been looking at Outback XT's lately as well, the above is out of my $ range unfortunately but for utility and fun the OBXT is not to be overlooked. Very capable cars power wise and tows better than an sti or Forester.

5. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

car insurance + multi-utility = Forester XT
    I miss my Outback at times and what I could throw at it. Still might pick up an older truck or grocery getter tho. Minnestoa winters + to be able to tow is a double + . There will be always time to own an STI*************D

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Got a buddy thats towed with his WRXs and STIs for years never had an issue. Currently tows a 2 bike trailer with two bikes on it all the time with his 11 STi(which is pretty modded).

7. SkeetsWisconny

That's somehting I've also considered but would rather avoid another vehicle to deal with maintenance on, insurance, where to park it inside/outside the garage, another expense, etc.

Possibly yes. Likely no. In addition to what I responded to ofspunk7 it'd be hard to convince my wife I was buying the right car if i went with an STi. I'm ready for something new; less miles, updates, fresh, excitement, etc.

Cool car but I'm sorry the Outback is just not for me. I just don't like the looks of it personally, no offense to any owners. I appreciate the thought. I am with you about the pros and cons of manual vs auto - convenience but less fun. I'd rather have a manual obviously but would be ok with an auto not to mention it would ensure my wife could drive my vehicle well as I mentioned before. It has better towing than the Forester? I would be looking at a newer Forester XT FYI (2010+)

Good points.

How much weight is the load though? I have pulled my snowombile a couple times this year (trailer and snowmobile were prob less than 800lbs and it did it just fine. It did however get bad gas mileage as expected but I don't think it would be that much better on a forester xt. My potential concern is pulling my 1250lb boat load on a more regular basis and across the state on occasions. I think the car would do it fine but I am concerned/interested about the long-term reliability of pulling this load over time. My 06 is rated to pull 1500lbs and 2000lbs with trailer brakes if my memory is correct.

8. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I'll have to ask him for sure, no idea what the weight of 2 1000cc bikes is. I would say track days at BIR, and auto-x probably put much more abuse on the car than towing a 1200lb trailer around responsibly and on the highway other than a extra load on the rear suspension.

9. SkeetsWisconny

You'd want to ask him how much his trailer is as well of course.

I'm pretty sure the car would pull my 1,250lb boat load around alright but I'm curious about the reliability over time. I'm going to guess that it would get into boost a bit more than I'd like to see most espeically going up hills in overdrive and potentially need to downshift.

10. SkeetsWisconny

Anyone have or know anyone who has thrown significant power upgrades to their autos? Specifically 09+ Forester XT auto's? A great scenario for me would prob be to pick up a 2010+Forester XT, add exhaust, boost control, bigger turbo (prob a vf), fuel pump, intercooler and a few other goodies...unfortunately I'd feel like the transmission would be a ticking time bomb getting close to the 300whp'ish mark I think with that 4gear auto??

11. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

No love for the Legacy GT wagon?

Subie Lovers likes this.
  12. knaacker

knaacker Member

multi car discount same price to insure 2 vehicles through progressive.

Windchaser likes this.
  13. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

Outback 3.6. No XT anymore, but a higher towing cap than the forester.

14. SkeetsWisconny

Ah, I've just really not been a fan of the legacy's styling unfortunately. Unless this was available and for less dough; http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...gacy-gets-296-hp-turbocharged-4-cylinder.html

Thanks, I will look into it.

I've read up on the Outback 3.6... again just not my style as much as I wish it was. I'm too into the aggressive looking/styling of the wrx/sti. The Forester XT with a sports grill, rims, and likely a bumper addition meets my styling "requirements" but it took a while for me to come around to it as even a possibility. I do like the towing capacity that it brings though.

The Forester XT doesn't really have much more towing capacity than the WRX/STi but I think it would pull a load (like my 1250lb boat) a bit better not to mention the clearance would help.

15. SkeetsWisconny

^Can't edit my post for some reason... meant to start that 2nd paragraph off with "On second thought.." and end the paragraph with; Thoughts?

16. PaulasaurusREX

PaulasaurusREX Well-Known Member

After plenty of reading/researching I found that a Forester was slightly better suited for towing than my wrx wagon was. And it was also an excuse to try something new. I've been happy with my '06 Forester but the longer I have it and use it for utility the more ground clearance I wish I had. But my Foz is sitting on wrx struts. Wouldn't mind a set of stock struts with Swift springs to give a tad more clearance.

Sounds like you're getting things narrowed down a little. Good luck on the hunt!

17. SkeetsWisconny

I keep getting varying results from the towing capacity of both vehicles but I'm pretty sure that the WRX/STi is 2000lbs and the Forester is 2,400lbs. So better yes, but not by too much beyond the clearance in my mind.

Toss the stock Forester setup back in it? I run Swifts on my WRX b/c of the mild drop and I pulled my snowmobile the other day just fine. Yes it did sag a bit but oh well, no bottoming out or anything even on the highway. It did struggle in 5th when going uphill and had a consistent tendancy to want to get into boost. I wonder if the boosting issue could be combatted with tuning. I suppose I should talk with Nuke.

Well yes and no, haha. At this point, I've got time to do more research and think about things more - not ready to part with W yet. :)

18. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

I wouldn't buy any new(er) turbocharged subaru unless you've saved your money for a piston job. Yes, its THAT bad.

19. SkeetsWisconny

so you're saying that purchasing a "newer" turbocharged anything Subaru is a bad idea?:rolleyes:why all of a sudden is there an epidemic - do you have any info/links you could provide?

This is what type of Forester I purchase/drive if I went the Forester route... obviously.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f93/2010-forester-xt-limited-nyc-area-118846/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61692255@N02/7877025260/in/set-72157631281031308/

20. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Lol?

21. AWDimprezaL

How do I know? Other than the ones I see come in for a warranty short block? Do a search on here, talk to fuji, nuke, or bikerboy.

Specifically I'm talking 2008+ 257s or 255s, regardless of platform, FXT, WRX, STI, and even LGT.

Subie Lovers and phi11 like this.
  22. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Hi, my name is Stock piston. I'm a druggie cuz all I do is crack!

23. SkeetsWisconny

Thanks for your input - guess I didn't know it was that bad. Do you have recommendations good sir?

Haha Nuke you have quite the witty remarks - thanks for your input... I wish I was not hearing this though! :facepalm:

What's a guy to do?

24. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Get a different car

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  25. SkeetsWisconny

Suggestions? Knowing im not going to buy a Taurus SHO.

ShortytheFirefighter likes this.
  26. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

something with a v6/v8 in it :cool:

27. SkeetsWisconny

Haha - Could you be more specific? :)

28. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Hm...Porsche Cayenne?

29. SkeetsWisconny

Right. Ecoboost it is. :facepalm:

30. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Did you want me to say a Forester XT? LOL

31. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

hahah, i've been in the same boat as you for some time now, with the wife thingy too! should've taught her with a honda instead of my WRX, i took her SUV up north 1 wknd and she litterly cried when she got stuck at a stop light! I'm debating a 04-05 XT auto/stick if 05(thanks to the wife, her mom drove my WRX!):eek: (hard as hell to find a good 1) storing my 02 WRX with 130k miles or trading it in? also my dream at an STi? but then again hunting/fishing/future boat/home remodeling and kids? wish i got room and funds for all 3 cars!

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  32. SkeetsWisconny

Haha, well yes! :angel: But obviously knew that wasn't going to be your answer since that would include...
    ...which is why I'm asking you what you recommend (more specifically than v6/v8) instead :) since there has been a plethora of piston issues with the newer turbocharges Subaru's, unbeknownst to me before hearing of this :(

33. AWDimprezaL

Hold out for the 14 FXT with the CVT? That'd be my .02.

34. SkeetsWisconny

It's a possibility... would be hard to get more power out of it with limited or no aftermarket parts and even harder to justify doing so with a new design under warrenty. 250hp at the crank is an improvement but far less than I desire

35. Glock_Turbo

Glock_Turbo Well-Known Member

nothing beats the forester STi, now that would be the perfect car/suv

SkeetsWisconny likes this.
  36. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Gtr wagon

Tash and Glock_Turbo like this.
  37. SkeetsWisconny

Yea that's kind of what I was getting to in my original post... I would like have a newer (09+) Forester XT STi: a vf series turbo, turboback exhaust, boost control, fuel pump upgrade, tune - but I'm afraid you'd almost have to include the price of a new transmission with that much power at that 4spd auto.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to install a 6spd into a newer Forester XT? or have other ideas for transmission upgrades for that vehicle?

38. SkeetsWisconny

39. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

40. SkeetsWisconny

41. AWDimprezaL

What do you mean transmission upgrades? Autos can (and are) stronger than 5 speeds in stock form.

42. SkeetsWisconny

Any transmission upgrades such as transmission "cooler" that may prolong/strengthen life of transmission, perhaps stronger gears for that 4sp auto, anything of that nature? I'm not sure what upgrades if any exist in the transmission department which is why I'm asking if there is anything out there that I'm unaware of to strengthen a 09+ Forester XT auto tranny so it would be better equipped to handle larger power upgrades (something like 300whp). Just thought I'd throw it out there. I'll be looking into it either way just thought someone might know of something or know of someone who has an idea of the fit/finish/install of a 6spd in a 09+ Forester. Thanks again for everyone's input.

43. AWDimprezaL

A a torque converter with a higher stall would probably be the only thing you really need if you arent planning on making a godzillion hp.

44. SkeetsWisconny

Thank you - I'll look into it as I know nothing about them. Not looking for a godzillion rather around the 260-320'ish whp mark.

Any other options, additions, etc.?

45. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Wait for 2014 XT. 2.0 turbo engine might have better pistons.