Differential bearing removal

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by pleiades, Aug 7, 2018.

1. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I'm about halfway through replacing the center diff and bearings in my 6 speed but got stuck on one stupid part. I got through the bearings on the output shaft and the main diff support bearing on the rear cover without too much fuss, but the outer race that's in the midcase just won't budge. Screenshot_20180807-001111_Gallery.jpg
    There was a similar race in the back cover that I replaced already, but I had access to tap it out from the other side. All I could do with this one is run a small pick around behind it and get a very weak hold with a hooked tool but can't pull it out. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Only thing I could think would be to try and freeze the race to shrink it but that would require dry ice or something like it.
    Maybe not helpful but just throwing an idea out

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

So if the housing (retainer assy) was off is there 2 places to remove the race with a punch ?

4. pleiades

If that were removed I believe I'd have access to the back to push the race out. I was just hoping to avoid any further dissassembly. Do you think it'd be safe to heat the immediate surrounding area with a small butane torch? I figure if I could do that and cool the race with ice like JaloP suggested it might slip out a little easier.

5. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

I was more thinking of modifying a 2 jaw puller to fit the slots and popping it out!

6. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

^ Good idea as long as you have enough gap.
    You could definitely try heating and cooling, it would probably be okay as long as you don't overheat anything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  7. pleiades

The gap behind the race seems a little tight for that, maybe 1/8" at best. Not many tools I could slip in there. Best thing I've got so far is an old screwdriver, the end of which I shaped into a hook with a Dremel.

8. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Do you have a dent puller & a welder?

9. pleiades

Just a crappy welder, no slide hammer. I think using heat might work, my only concern would be the gear lube still left in the case igniting but I don't really expect it would be an issue.

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Fire is half the fun. Let er buck!

pillboy, MrBlue and tangledupinblu like this.