Dirty Jack-o-Lantern RallyCross Discussion and Smack-talk Thread

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Vector, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Continuing the tradition...

One last RallyCross left this year. Nov 1, Cannon Falls. This will be at the biiiig field. MNSOC will be providing food again.

Commence smack-talk.

Site:
    [​IMG]

2. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

You all suck!!!

How's that for smack talk, now if I had some decent tires... :laugh:

3. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Use your mustache for traction.

4. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

well we are on a Subaru board ;)

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't ever want to Ninja edit a rallycross trash talk thread. Keep it ABOVE the belt.:biggrin:

If only I could ninja edit some of my mistakes on the course:laugh:

Not so much of a smack talk, but looking for more advise. I'm happy with my times, getting better behind the wheel and a lot more confident.

However, I'd like to know how you guys focus on the apex of the corner for quicker times in and out. Can you provide any feedback?

6. sniper1rfa

sniper1rfa New Member

i'm probably not the best source of advice, but by the time i get to the apex of a corner, i'm hammer down and worrying about the next one...

Hitting the apex is not nearly as important as getting into and out of the corner smoothly and with minimal steering input and with maximum right foot. The more you have to turn or futz with pedals, the slower the corner.

EDIT: not that it matters, the way you drive!

7. NMDAYTIME

NMDAYTIME Well-Known Member

here is some smack talk. i beat carl on the last heat! yeah oh and it's my first time. rally tires needed my tookis

8. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

The thing about RX is that it's not about getting the corner just right, it's about finding the best compromise line between several elements that are linked. So the fastest line through one corner may leave you completely out of shape for the next.

Thinking about Sunday...

What works for me in FWD may or may not translate to an AWD car.

Built as much speed as possible from the start, drive in deep and drop the throttle as I turn in hard for the long right. As soon as the back end starts coming around, back hard on the gas, counter steer as necessary to maintain the drift. Straighten out, and then tap the brakes as I turn in at the left. I found that I needed to bleed a little speed here or I'd be going to fast for the next right and get wide, bog, and have to downshift. Take the right as clean as possible and work the throttle to prevent excess wheelspin up the hill (but maintain a little, or I'd bog down), WOT as I crested the hill and getting near the rev limiter near the end of the straight. Lift and pitch it sideways to rotate and bleed speed for the hard right. Now, before the change, I'd downshift here and stay in 1st the rest of the way, working the throttle to get the car to rotate through the kinks. Afterwards, I'd stay in 2nd and try to run the line as straight as I could, avoiding sliding anymore than necessary (with less success than I could have hoped for).

On my last two runs I overrotated on the first turn and I'm pretty sure that's where I killed my two cones, probably the apex cone each time.

9. Boss STi

Boss STi Moderator

damn i was all set to burn my fingers cooking some more hot dogs but i just realized i'll be out of town that weekend so no dice. :(

10. NMDAYTIME

NMDAYTIME Well-Known Member

yeah i found it quite easier on the last heat we did

11. snbrd4evr

snbrd4evr Well-Known Member

Sorry :(

12. Scuba Steve

no worries kelly, it was directed at one person, just overall. Let's play dirty, but keep it clean...if that makes sense:biggrin:

13. Scuba Steve

thanks for the feedback mark. Sounds like I was doing most everything about the same as you. yes, the last couple runs was getting a bit messy.

14. stick

stick New Member

I had a great view of the M4 guys.
    Now, I get your car confused with Boomers thinking back on your lines, so this may be for you, him or both of you... :)
    (Looking at the hard left into sweep right up the hill)
    The main thing I noticed was excessive steering input into the left which caused you to be late on the next corner. If you felt behind or all twisted up, that was probably why. Try thinking about how much you steer and remember left foot trail braking is your friend ;)

Since we're on Markisms, think of it as use more goey and stoppy foot and less steery hands. :biggrin:
    (or steery hand for Kevin… you looked like you were riding a bull thru the gap on one of the runs)
    I have to give props to Kevin, he had the best line thru that area. You gave up a little on the hard left to get the most of the right and that kept you on the clean inside line up the hill.

One thing I see from many is they forget to anticipate the natural sliding of the front tires when they turn in. I'm not talking about the pushing or plowing thru the corner, but just the extra time you need to figure into the turnin to keep on line aompared to asphalt.

A great tool to compare you to someone else is just look thru the awesome pictures. I open two tabs, one for my car and one for the other and go thru pics of us at the same spot to see what was different. You'll learn a lot if you pay close attention.

15. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

haha, tend to do that...

I have learned A LOT from ice racing, and on of the things that i know mark does too, is at some pionts, when coming out of a tight turn or set of turns(the left, right up the hill) i will totally let go of the steering wheel and the the car kinda correct itself instead of trying to manually turn the wheel back.
    that is why my hand was probly up in the air lol

and yes... i saw a lot of people in the "everyone else" run group coming really hot into the left hander and the having to overcorrect for the right and would end up out in the soup, with the lower power of the Mayhem RS, it was critical to stay where the grip was.

16. ScandiaWRX

ScandiaWRX <font color="#f8467d">Rally Demi-goddess</font>

This is something I have been working on. If you are used to AutoX an early turn in will hit a cone. But with RallyCross you have to take the sliding in to account and you can turn earlier than you think and miss.

Back when Brent ran his Audi, I took note (marveled really) of how the inside corner of his front bumper seemed to stay stuck to pin cones while the rest of the car slid around it. He would actually arrive at the corner with the car pointed at the cone, imagine how far in advance the set up takes for that and you get the idea?

Amy

17. Scuba Steve

Thanks for the excellent feedback and information. Yes, I'm sure I'm not anticipating the amount of time my front tires are sliding. So used to pavement that I turn in late and then end up having to scramble to correct.

I'll have to keep that in mind and remember to turn-in earlier...setting myself up better, which should result in less steering input throughout the turn.

18. stick

stick New Member

No, you had your right hand up in the air well past the gap! I'm not talking just off the wheel, if you would have moved it, Amanda would have waived back! :laugh:

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Not here to smack talk, but I *might* have to make it out to this one to see what its all about. I'll bring the helmet if I go so that I can take a ride along.

20. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

The way it was described to me (the less steery hands, more goey and stoppy foot):

Point the car with the steering wheel. Think of it more as a suggestion wheel.
    Turn the car with the brakes, or a lift of the throttle.
    Gas out when you're pointed the right way.

Don't look at me if you want to see someone doing it right though! :laugh:

21. carl

carl Well-Known Member

no one cares about someone handraising to spectate

22. Scuba Steve

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Leave it to you to be a jerk about it! Well if it wasn't the last one of the year I may be more down to pay all the fee's but since it is I am only going to spectate, plus I have no idea what class or anything else I would be in.

24. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

That was obviosly Dave. I'm far to good at this stuff for Brent to be able to notice a mistake.:cool::biggrin:

Actually I was doing a bit of experimenting with left foot braking. Tried to use it more at this event than the others and for the most part it has been working well. Practice makes perfect.

25. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh:

:emo::emo:

26. carl

carl Well-Known Member

and only 1 month to figure it out :roll:

this is a smack talk thread. put up or shut up. :eek:

so dan... if the pattern continues you're due this time to beat me. I think I can put a stop to that though - keep filling your tires up with dirt and I won't have to worry

27. Scuba Steve

yes, Dan it was ME.....Obviously HITTING THE CONE in the 2nd corner set you up for a solid line into the left and up the hill:mad:....:laugh::laugh:;)

28. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Can I use someone else's numbers and pay at the event?

29. carl

carl Well-Known Member

only if I can use mr. utecht's times

30. Scuba Steve

A. you should read the rallycross threads and learn before you open your mouth (aka type);)

B. Make up a number that people aren't using. Look on the LOL region of SCCA.

C. pay the $55 and borrow a helmet at the event..then race

31. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Nevermind I was informed how this works *****es, now I need to get the car prepped! I told myself I wouldn't beat on my car like that but you provoked me Carl!

32. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

Exactly. The cone was stopping me from taking the correct line up the hill so I moved it.;):laugh:

33. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Link to said numbers.

34. Scuba Steve

again with said research....nobody here will help YOU

:biggrin:

www.scca-lol.org

35. carl

carl Well-Known Member

I think my work here is done. chet's goal should be to beat joshette.

:wavey: josh

36. Scuba Steve

Chet, add checking you OIL and tightening your LUGNUTS to your list of prepping the car

37. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

If all goes well there will be no dirt inside the tires any more. Rally tires on the way. The stiffer sidewalls will be a welcome addition.

38. carl

carl Well-Known Member

also, attached gas pump handle in filler location will not pass tech

39. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

HAHA, my race goal is to not rip off my splitters. But if I do ... oh well there toast anyways.

Scuba Stacy is it? Your going down!

40. Scuba Steve

Chet, you little ugly gurl. Only time I'm going down is when I fall on the ground laughing my ass off as you try to navigate the course with your weaksauce driving skills and slammed car. (better raise it up a bit before the event or make sure you have skid plates)

41. carl

carl Well-Known Member

I hope your driving is better than your typing. :biggrin:

42. Scuba Steve

what tire pressure were you running Dan? I set mine at 42psi and had no issues this time. harvestmoon I was at 32 or 34psi and it was ugly

43. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

My crystal ball tells me there will be Lulz at this event.

44. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Who needs stinking skid plates, and no I'm not raising it. I'm gonna think back to my first Bullwinkle tune, where I whipped your ass every race. Oh how that was sweet!

45. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: If my manager lets me have that sat off your going down chet. Be ready to eat dirt and cry hard......so will this be a longer course sense the first post stated it was at cannon falls bigger field.