DIY Coilover Installation

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by MilkyDaddy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

I just recently picked up a set of BC BR Racing Coilovers, and had the initial plan of taking it to a shop for an install. However after thinking through it, I realized I wanted to try and gain some experience and try to DIY the project.

That said, I'm considering asking around for help installing them and was wondering who all has done suspension work themselves? It looks pretty straight forward based on the YouTube tutorials, but wasn't quite sure what the outcome would be for someone who has never even touched suspension. I wouldn't expect it to be a "time saver" and realize it could be an all day project, not to mention bringing it in for an alignment. Would it even be worth doing it yourself, or is the best possible outcome just bringing it to a shop and save myself the hassle?

Any help or suggestions for a first time DIY'er would be greatly appreciated!

Car: 2016 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch
    Modification: BC BR Racing Coilovers

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Its a very easy project for someone to DIY. Depending on how much of a drop your going for will decide how much of a emergency getting the alignment will be. That said short amounts of driving are possible once the new setup is on.

with jack stands and basic tools the job can be done. Its easier with air impact tools or electric impact tools.

When are you looking to try and tackle this?

3. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Thanks for the helpful response! Honestly the drop wouldn't be too much (for the moment). My thought was 1.5" in front and .4" in back, so that (hopefully) fender rolling wouldn't be necessary. The intention would also just be street use.

The weather has played a huge factor in my initial plans, but with my basic tools (lift, jack stands, breaker bar and impact wrench) I was looking to try and start the project Friday night into Saturday afternoon-ish this weekend, 20th-21st. Otherwise I would start Saturday morning and just have all the time without feeling rushed.

4. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Some tips...

Measure from the middle of the wheel to the bottom of the fender on each corner before starting the install to give yourself a baseline.

Install the coilovers over current at a time (front to back or back to front). Once you have the height set on a corner, count the threads on the sleeve and apply to the opposite corner on that end of the car.

Remeasure the wheel center to fender bottom gap after a week or so.

Don't worry about getting the height set each corner perfect. Your alignment tech will most likely need to change them (particularly if you're correct balancing the car).

Look into alignment adjustment options if you haven't already.

You can probably flip the top hats for added caster.

5. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

That's super helpful, thank you for the tips! The measurement between the wheel and the fender was definitely a little bit of a grey area for me, and that cleared a lot of questions up. I've looked a little bit into the alignment options, and that's kind of my priority for this week if I can get to installing them over the weekend.

For intended street use, do you find the corner balancing to be a priority? Or should it be done when any kind of suspension is swapped out?

6. JasonoJordan

Talk to jeff the alignment guy for your alignment. He is booking a week or 2 out at this point of the year I belive.

7. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

He was one of the first guys I reached out to. He was quoting me quite a bit for the install and alignment, and unfortunately his schedule doesn't line up with mine.

Do shops that typically do alignments have any issues with people bringing in aftermarket parts, installed by the customer?

8. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Samaritan tire is also great at alignments and they are very low car friendly. They're also a lot easier to deal with.

They align my Supra and it's on coilovers, they'll do my Civic once I install my camber kit (no factory camber adjustment, so got eccentric bolts for the front struts).

MilkyDaddy likes this.
  9. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Subscribed. Will be doing similar work in the coming month or so.

10. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Considering how low I am even without any suspension mods, I might have to get in touch with them (if they aren't completely booked within a half-week notice). Thank you for the recommendation!

I also looked at a camber kit, but I just wanted to get the basic install in and aligned properly before fine tuning to my liking.

11. JasonoJordan

Jeff really prefers to stick to just doing alignments and not so much installs of parts if he can help it especially this time of year so I am guessing thats why the price was what it was. I have never had a issue getting a quote well within or even under industry standard from him. But as derp said there are other options out there that will do the job as well and for a fair price.

MilkyDaddy likes this.
  12. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

No, it's not necessary. But the general advise still holds since the coilovers give the alignment tech the added option to raise or lower a corner if the existing camber adjustment points (top hat and eccentric bolt for example) aren't enough to get things in spec.

MilkyDaddy likes this.
  13. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

That would explain the price he quoted me then, and really good to know that he doesn't prefer installs. I'll probably have an alignment place in mind once the install is actually done.

Oh I see, that makes more sense. Thank you for that! I'll have to ask around at some other alignment shops along this topic.

14. MilkyDaddy

MilkyDaddy Member

Gonna bump this thread for now.

After asking around, it seems I'm unable to get anyone with experience to help out. While I can try and make this a one-man job, is there anyone on here that would be willing to lend a hand tomorrow? (Sat, 21) Even just being a mentor would suffice, I would want to make sure I'm doing nothing wrong.

I would pay you handsomely in booze, money, tacos, you name it. Just DM me if you're interested, otherwise no big deal. Figured I would try and ask if anyone was available. I'll make an update on this thread with installation progress.

15. Navar Hren

Navar Hren Active Member

Paging @JasonoJordan

I have to adjust the wifes hand brake tomorrow morning but pending approval of daddy Jason, you're more than welcome to bring the stuffs down. I can walk you through the whole process and touch yer shiny bits if you need the help.

EricS likes this.
  16. JasonoJordan

If you guys wanna use my garage that's fine. I have guests in town so won't be able to help much myself this weekend. Next weekend is more open for me though.